Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
P&DZ

Manuel Slide Operation Question

This is not an emergency but I would like to know how to manually retract my slide before it Does become an emergency situation.

I have a 2012 Cougar 21RBSWE. It has a metal bar with teeth on both sides of the slide which engage with a gear. The piston is a round cylinder with What I am guessing to be a motor on the outboard end. I have attached pictures below.

Can anyone help me as to how I would manually retract the slide in the event of a motor failure, battery failure or some other unforeseen circumstance.

We will be headed into the Colorado mountains early Monday Morning for a week without WiFi service so I will not be able to respond after that.

I have attached a picture of both the outboard side and the inboard side of the mechanism.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	28568   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	28569  
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The motor is under the coroplast at the inner end of that tube. if you have screws holding the underbelly up, just remove enough on the OPPOSITE side of the slide and look underneath. You should be able to see the motor and identify what you need to manually operate the slide.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
P&DZ

Thanks Chuckster,
Not as easy as I was hoping it would be, but then again I am not surprised. I will take a look later this afternoon when it is good and hot!
Old 07-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The "manual movement location" is on the opposite side of the trailer from that "brass bell device"... The motor (and the hand crank) are located at the end of the ram, the "brass bell" is located on the other end of that ram.

Some RV's have a square hole cut in the coroplast in the location of the motor and hand crank, some have a second piece of coroplast screwed to the "whole bottom cover" in the location of the motor, and some have a 2" hole in the frame I beam, through which you install a "long socket extension" to operate the motor/hand crank...

What's under your trailer ???? Check the above to find out. Here is a link to the Lippert "in frame slide/ram system". https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...tricManual.pdf You'll find your slide is addressed in the document and diagrams of what you'll find "under the coroplast" are there as well. It will make "understanding the mystery" much easier and make any emergency significantly less "painful" to know what to do "when it happens"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
Steveo57

I have a 22RBS and here's my manual operator. There was a coroplast patch already screwed on the underbelly in the location of the motor. I just pulled it off and cut an access hatch to get to the motor. Mine takes a 5/8" socket.

And that hole through the frame that the actuator goes through makes a great place for the mice and other critters to get into the underbelly. I sealed it up with wire mesh on both sides and spray foam to hold it in place.

Just be careful not to overdo it if you ever have to operate it manually because the screw drive gives you a big mechanical advantage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200527_170653.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	28573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_170541.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	28574  
Old 07-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
P&DZ

Thanks folks! The manual and photos are very helpful. I crawled under the trailer this afternoon and unfortunately there is not a coroplast patch, so I am going to need to do a bit of underbelly exploring. I figure if I am on a straight line with the extruding rail under the slide out and can determine where the framing member is located I should be able to get close. This however is going to be a project for when I return from our next trip when I won’t feel time pressure to get it done.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
Thanks folks! The manual and photos are very helpful. I crawled under the trailer this afternoon and unfortunately there is not a coroplast patch, so I am going to need to do a bit of underbelly exploring. I figure if I am on a straight line with the extruding rail under the slide out and can determine where the framing member is located I should be able to get close. This however is going to be a project for when I return from our next trip when I won’t feel time pressure to get it done.
The motor is right on the end of the actuator tube. You can just drop the edge of the underbelly and peek in to see exactly where it's located and go from there.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
P&DZ

After reading the replies curiosity got the better of me and I crawled back under the trailer. There is a propane gas line running directly under the beam which the coroplast is attached to so I can not remove a few screws and peak in. However I did notice two horizontal slits in the coroplast about 10" long and 6" apart running the length of the trailer in about a spot in line with the slide actuator tube. The center of the two lists is about 18" from the outside framing member. I was able to peek into the slit and there is a white insulating fabric directly on top of the coroplast so I could not see into the underbelly. Before I cut a line in the coroplast between the two slits and also into the white foam insulation what is the collective thoughts as to this being the location of the motor?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	28593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	28594  
Old 07-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&DZ View Post
After reading the replies curiosity got the better of me and I crawled back under the trailer. There is a propane gas line running directly under the beam which the coroplast is attached to so I can not remove a few screws and peak in. However I did notice two horizontal slits in the coroplast about 10" long and 6" apart running the length of the trailer in about a spot in line with the slide actuator tube. The center of the two lists is about 18" from the outside framing member. I was able to peek into the slit and there is a white insulating fabric directly on top of the coroplast so I could not see into the underbelly. Before I cut a line in the coroplast between the two slits and also into the white foam insulation what is the collective thoughts as to this being the location of the motor?
I just went out and measured mine. It's a 2018 22RBS. it's about 16-18" in from the frame. I would just cut the back edge of that flap so you can bend it down. Leave the front edge connected. That should give you access and then you can just close the flap up and seal it with tape. You can see on my pictures that mine has a piece of coroplast screwed in over the hole. I just unscrew that piece and it reveals the flap that I can open to get to the motor. That's reflectix insulation laying on top of the coroplast I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181017_164310.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	28595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_170653.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	28596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200527_170556.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	28597  
Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
P&DZ

Found it!! Exactly where Steveo57 said it would probably be. And it takes a 5/8" socket.
Taped the coroplast back up and will fit in a trap door later. I am glad I now know how to manually operate the slide BEFORE it is an emergency situation.

Thanks All!!

Tags
slide