Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
STJ

AC Upgrade Questions

I have a 2019 Keystone Outback 301UBH.
I am wired 50amp for a second AC but it only came with the one in the living space. We are wanting to add one in the master bedroom.
I am told they make AC units that are like heat pumps, more efficient and do both cool and heat.
I would like to put the more efficient unit in the living space and the OEM unit in the bed room.
Looking for any help or advice.
STJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you change the main AC to an AC/heat pump you will have to change the thermostat. If you have “in command” I’ll have to let someone with more experience with that system chime in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
STJ

Not sure what "in command " is but I knew I would need a new thermostat.
I will differently have a pro do the install, there is a lot I will do but I know when I am over my head.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

In Command is the new (sort of) "computerized" system some units have to control not only the temps but a plethora of other items. Many have been very problematic. If you have a regular looking thermostat on the wall you don't have it (and I'm sure you would know if you did).

If you can get an AC with heat pump that works as well as the one in our HC they are great. It might be a bit expensive though. Not so bad if you are going to add a 2nd AC anyway. If you move the existing one to the BR and it is a 15k that is probably overkill but it is what you have. The AC with heat pump will require a specific thermostat. Some may have done it. I would have it done personally because I'm not going to hoist that thing up on the roof.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Pull Toy

Our Alpine has the HP/AC as the main unit as the " horse shoe ducted" unit downstairs. It handles the whole camper, and I wouldn't be without it! It does a great job of taking the chill off...even at 40 deg outside, or BLASTING 15,000 btu A/C throughout the camper. Our bedroom unit is used to supplement the main during the day, as needed, but it's too noisy for sleeping! Based on our experience, put the BIG HP/AC in the salon, and the OEM in the bedroom.

You may want to check with the Pro's as to temp control / thermostat co-ordination between the two units. Maybe there are some hidden wires for a single control unit. Ours controls HP/AC/LPG furn./Fan, all in one.

One extra consideration.. If your OEM is not low profile RECHECK YOUR OVERALL HEIGHT before passing go, if you move it forward. You may need 13' 4"

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
ChuckS

The OP will need the proper gateway to link the two AC units together trying to run from one dual zone thermostat.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
STJ

thanks for the responses heat pump is ordered

Tags
upgrade