Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
gspman

scale confusion

Wife and I spent our 1st weekend in the the camper at a campground this past weekend. All was good weather, rv systems all worked well, Hit the cat scale on the way home to proof what i thought i had a pretty decent bead on.

The scale ticket came back with 4 weights.

Net A - 4820lbs (assume steering axle weight)
Net B - 5280lbs (assume drive axle weight)
Net C - 7780lbs (assume trailer axle weight)
Net (A+B+C) - 17880lbs (assume combined weight of A,B, C)

I have an 08 Silverado 2500HD DMax TD, ext cab stnd Bed 4wd,
My door Sticker has the following info:

GVWR - 9200lb
GAWR FRT - 4860lb
GAWR RR - 6084
GCWR - 22000
Max Trailer weight 14000

Q: Am I safe for towing and within my weight limitation ?
I believe so, not sure what my measurables directly relate to my door sticker?

Thx in advance for your guidance in this matter

Scott
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Roscommon48

what type of trailer? it is workable.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
gspman

we have a 2019 Keystone 29RKS Couger half ton
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
gspman

5th wheel I might add
Old 06-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
xrated

First of all, I've never seen a CAT scale ticket that talks about "Net A", "Net B", etc. But if those two numbers are in fact the combination of the weight on the front and rear axle of your truck....10,100 lbs, you are over the GVWR of the truck by 900 lbs. That number would stop me dead in my tracks. Again, never heard of the Net A, Net B thing. Could you post a picture of the actual scale ticket?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspman View Post
Wife and I spent our 1st weekend in the the camper at a campground this past weekend. All was good weather, rv systems all worked well, Hit the cat scale on the way home to proof what i thought i had a pretty decent bead on.

The scale ticket came back with 4 weights.

Net A - 4820lbs (assume steering axle weight)
Net B - 5280lbs (assume drive axle weight)
Net C - 7780lbs (assume trailer axle weight)
Net (A+B+C) - 17880lbs (assume combined weight of A,B, C)

I have an 08 Silverado 2500HD DMax TD, ext cab stnd Bed 4wd,
My door Sticker has the following info:

GVWR - 9200lb
GAWR FRT - 4860lb
GAWR RR - 6084
GCWR - 22000
Max Trailer weight 14000

Q: Am I safe for towing and within my weight limitation ?
I believe so, not sure what my measurables directly relate to my door sticker?

Thx in advance for your guidance in this matter

Scott
Scott, Don't you have a white sticker trimmed in yellow with your max payload in your driver door frame. Every truck rolls off the line equipped and configured a bit differently and that number is usually the short poll in the tent. Your numbers confuse the snot out of me but I am not one of the weight patrol so one of them will pop in and get this sorted out. You will probably be told you need at least a one ton dually since you are dragging a "half ton towable". Maybe a Freightliner?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Scott, Don't you have a white sticker trimmed in yellow with your max payload in your driver door frame. Every truck rolls off the line equipped and configured a bit differently and that number is usually the short poll in the tent. Your numbers confuse the snot out of me but I am not one of the weight patrol so one of them will pop in and get this sorted out. You will probably be told you need at least a one ton dually since you are dragging a "half ton towable". Maybe a Freightliner?
Did you read my post....right above yours where I talked about the truck being 900 lbs over the GVWR? That should be enough to end any doubt right there that he is not i a good situation.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

OP what is the payload off that sticker inside the door? That is the shortfall of a 3/4 ton diesel. It appears you are overweight.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Did you read my post....right above yours where I talked about the truck being 900 lbs over the GVWR? That should be enough to end any doubt right there that he is not i a good situation.
Note the times on our posts; I missed yours. I am visibly chastised! Thanks...
Old 06-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP what is the payload off that sticker inside the door? That is the shortfall of a 3/4 ton diesel. It appears you are overweight.
xrated scolded me for asking the same thing already as I didn't see his post. He is one of the premier weight police and good with the numbers and says the fella is OVERWEIGHT. The OP has yet another salesman inspired half ton towable!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
xrated scolded me for asking the same thing already as I didn't see his post. He is one of the premier weight police and good with the numbers and says the fella is OVERWEIGHT. The OP has yet another salesman inspired half ton towable!

I asked because the OP said he didn't understand the numbers and has not provided the payload spec so that he might be able to understand what xrated was saying by referencing said payload number.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #12
xrated

Quote:
Note the times on our posts; I missed yours. I am visibly chastised! Thanks...
Sorry George.....I'm fixin to slap my hand right now and I promise to stay off the keyboard for at least until my next post!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I asked because the OP said he didn't understand the numbers and has not provided the payload spec so that he might be able to understand what xrated was saying by referencing said payload number.
Yea, sometimes I get in a hurry and don't do a good job of conveying my thoughts. But I figured that if the truck was 900 lbs over the GVWR, it's the same amount over payload. OP may not have understood that point though, so you did good asking!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
gspman

well i tried to upload a pick of my door sticker, but ya'all a;ready have the info that resides on it it.

GVWR - 9200lb
GAWR FRT - 4860lb
GAWR RR - 6084
GCWR - 22000
Old 06-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #15
NH_Bulldog

We were looking for the one that says: the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2575A03-7917-46AA-9E3D-1D90F56F9143.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	27923  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #16
xrated

Quote:
well i tried to upload a pick of my door sticker, but ya'all a;ready have the info that resides on it it.

GVWR - 9200lb
GAWR FRT - 4860lb
GAWR RR - 6084
GCWR - 22000
gspman...don't worry about uploading a pic of your payload sticker. We already know that the GVWR of your truck is 9200 lbs. Your front axle weight and the rear axle weight added together was 10,100 bls. You are over the GVWR of the truck by 900 lbs, so the bottom line is this. Anytime the weight of both axles total more than the GVWR of the truck, you are overloaded. Let me clarify this with a couple of examples....and these are NOT meant to be actual numbers or real weights.....just something to maybe help you understand this a little better

Let's use the GVWR of your truck....9200 lbs in this example. Let's say you had your truck weighed and the number came up as 7200 lbs. Your available payload capacity would be 2000 lbs.

Now let's say that your 9200 lb GVWR truck weighed in on the scale at 9100 lbs. You now have 100 lbs of available payload capacity. Payload capacity on the sticker is a fixed value, based on what the truck weighed on the day it was built and the number that the truck manufacturer rated the truck for the GVWR....and in those days, it assumed a full tank of fuel and an imaginary 150 lb driver. In actuality, the available payload varies depending on what has been added to the truck....since it was built. Here's another example.

Same truck, 9200 lb GVWR. You get the truck home and decide you really like the looks of some running boards on the truck, maybe a spray in bedliner, and a new crossbed toolbox. The running boards weigh let's say 50 lbs. The spray in bedliner weighs another 50 lbs, and the toolbox in the bed with the tools that you put in it weighs 150 lbs. So the total weight of all that stuff is 250 lb. Now the yellow sticker that listed the payload of the truck at xxxx lbs has now been reduced too xxxx lbs minus 250. Adding passenger, bedliners, toolboxes, firewood,...anything and everything that goes in/on the truck reduces the available payload number by the amount of weight that the stuff weighs. All of this is critical numbers to know.....except....when the weight on both of the axles totally up is over the GVWR of the truck...you are over the payload AND over the GVWR of the truck. In your case, by almost a 1/2 ton of weight.....900 lbs to be exact.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #17
gspman

thanks all for your input.... now i have some decisions to ponder
Old 06-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
It's important to remember that the total vehicle GAWRs, when added together, exceed vehicle GVWR. That excess is called "load capacity reserves".
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:37 AM   #19
xrated

Quote:
You're welcome. All the numbers involved in trying to combine a safe towing combination (Truck and trailer) and stay within the weight ratings of both vehicles can be somewhat intimidating....but in my opinion, it's something that needs to be learned in order to stay safe and stay within the truck and trailer limitations. Many of us here have been through it and most of us are not rocket scientists........well, at least I'm not! But I started out several years ago...seriously....believing, "Hey, I've got a 3/4T Diesel truck with 4WD....I can buy almost any trailer I want to buy and I've got plenty of truck for it." Needless to say, it didn't take me long to realize that the trailer that I was wanting back then was going to seriously overload my truck. That truck had 2148 lbs of payload capacity and I was looking at 5th wheel Toy Haulers that had an empty pin weight of 2600-2700 lbs. I couldn't believe my eyes, and then I discovered that those pin weights were for an EMPTY trailer. OMG.....what would the pin weight be when I got it loaded up? That led me into total frustration/disbelief at what I had just discovered....AND more importantly, the desire to dig in and learn exactly what this heavy towing stuff was all about. Lots and lots of reading and lot of questions on this forum, and answers from some VERY helpful and patient members helping me to understand what I was trying to learn. I seriously never knew in the beginning at how much "stuff" is involved in doing the work to figure it all out.......because........"I had a 3/4T diesel truck and I should be able to buy and tow about any trailer I wanted to get for it!

So needless to say, I've come a long way from those not so young, but ignorant days and a lot of what I've learned, I give credit to the fine folks on this forum for their patience and kindness of helping me go through that learning process....Thanks again for all of your help over the year fellas.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:56 AM   #20
gspman

the interesting thing to note here is that the sum of the GAWR FRT (4860) and the GAWR RR (6084) posted on the door sticker already exceed the posted GVWR (9200)

How's that work?