Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #21
NH_Bulldog

This is why we chose the Bulldog, it can be turned sideways. With the manual jack we couldn’t fully drop the tailgate, now we can.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
mjeronimo

Barker made in USA

I had a barker my friends have LCI cam with their Grand design trailers they couldn’t believe how fast my jack was. https://www.amazon.com/Barker-30828-.../dp/B000UO7ZYU
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins44 View Post
Hello All! My manual tongue jack has seen better days and needs to be replaced. Thinking of going electric. I have a 27' 2017 Outback. Dry weight 5600, loaded up 6500 max.

Any recommendations on electric jacks?
3/10/2014 installed on trailer Atwood 80515 Deluxe Power Jack, list $250 paid $180. Trailer 27', 6,100 scale weight loaded, nothing in tanks. Read up on electric jacks and found the are water resistant not water tight. Use a plastic garbage bag and a bungee cord to keep in place when it rains, in storage the unit is always covered. Never had any problem, still using.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
3/10/2014 installed on trailer Atwood 80515 Deluxe Power Jack, list $250 paid $180. Trailer 27', 6,100 scale weight loaded, nothing in tanks. Read up on electric jacks and found the are water resistant not water tight. Use a plastic garbage bag and a bungee cord to keep in place when it rains, in storage the unit is always covered. Never had any problem, still using.
You may find that a garbage bag will condense moisture and lead to corrosion inside the jack electrical components. With the bag tightly closed around the jack, there's no way it can dry out when the rain stops...

Many people find that a 2 liter or a 3 liter soft drink container (depending on the jack head size) is about the right size to cut the top off and slip over the jack motor. Most don't find a need to secure it in place, but a couple of holes punched in the sides will allow a bungee cord to be wrapped around the tongue under the jack, holding it in place. Free and easy and it allows any moisture to escape once the sun shines on the jack.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
JayTees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
Two trailers ago I swapped out the manual jack for a power jack (I don't remember the brand). I loved having the ease of pushing a switch instead of cranking up and down several times to hook and unhook the WDH. But be aware that the downside of the power jack is the real possibility of not being able to open your truck's tailgate.

I also agree that bigger is better. If 3500 will do the job, 4500 will do the job better!
My 2020 Passport 197RB came with a Lippert Power Tongue Jack and I did indeed have a problem with the gate hitting the power head.

Solution:
  • Pull the rubber plugs located on each side of the jack
  • Remove one bolt on each side of the jack
  • Lift power head and carefully set it to the side
  • Using a tap, thread the two drilled holes in the front and back of the tube top (5/16 Tap if I remember correctly)
  • Turn your power head 90 degrees to face left or right - hunting back and forth a bit will set the driver into the socket
  • Insert bolts into newly tapped holes
  • Return rubber plugs to side holes

Enjoy the ability to drop your tailgate.

My tow vehicle is a Ford F150; your mileage may vary.

John
JayTees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #26
Nitram987

For reasons already listed, Husky is better than LCI Smart Jack.
Nitram987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue jack