Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Thor

G rated tires

I know this is beat to death. My avalanche is due for tires. My local retailer recommended the mastertrack g rated tires. Problem is I've never heard of them and they are made in China. Anyone have experience with these tires? Thanks in advance!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

This topic IS beat to death on virtually every RV forum.

Don't know anything about your trailer other than model - pretty big. Don't know how much you care about cost or potential damage to your trailer.

If you search on this, or any other, RV forum asking about "good" tires for a large RV I think I can definitively say you won't find "mastertrack" tires mentioned anywhere at any time; I've never seen them (other than on the signs at tire dealers as one of "those" tires they carry...like Trailer King).

He recommends them because he has them, never put a large 5th wheel behind his truck and pulled it so didn't have to worry about the damage they could cause. Probably has a good profit margin on them as well.

If you are looking at LRG tires go with something that protects you, not saves you $5 now and costs $1k tomorrow. Sailun, Maxxis/Carlisle (if they have your size) and many are beginning to like the Goodyear G614? but for me they need a little more time to establish a track record.

Your question was if anyone had experience with the mastertrack tires; I haven't. When I bought this trailer in March I had never had experience with a Ranier tire which was OEM. Had them pulled and replaced with Sailun. On another forum a member advised that he took off with his new Montana, equipped with Ranier OEM tires, and immediately had a blowout. I believe in getting good tires to protect me....not the best price, or the recommendation from those that have no idea of what I do.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
LewisB

I agree with Danny ^^^^^.

There are a few things on your RV where a failure can result in complete loss of the RV and potentially be life threatening - the running gear - tires, wheel bearings, springs, hangers, load, etc. These are not items where "cheapest off-brand available that seems to fit" is a wise purchase. Put tires at the top of that list.

You are doing the right thing by asking here - keep listening. Ignore what the tire guy says - he has a vested interest only in getting your business. We run Sailun and have had good luck. Recommend you spend a little extra and get the best, not the cheapest.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Sailun's are made in China too. Not defending China, just saying.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The "made in China", "China bomb" stereotype for RV tires has any number of contributors. The Sailun is made in China but you don't see report after report in forum after forum of their failures. As has been observed some of the contributors to the poor tires from China and "China bombs" are the particular factory, the involvement of the company having the made, the design and QC. When those things fail you get a "China bomb" and from what I've been able to determine those come from a small percentage of the 900 or so tire plants in China. Just so happens they were/are the tires chosen to go as OE equipment on most entry/mid level RVs. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Thor

Thanks for the help. I'm either going Sailun or GY.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:07 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I know this is beat to death. My avalanche is due for tires. My local retailer recommended the mastertrack g rated tires. Problem is I've never heard of them and they are made in China. Anyone have experience with these tires? Thanks in advance!
Unicorn Tire is the wholesaler for Mastertrack tires.

http://unicorntire.com/index.php?id_...duct&id_lang=1

Why do you need LRG tires?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:17 AM   #8
Roscommon48

take your pick. I still like G614s but I also have Saliuns on currently. Why reinvent the wheel....so to speak:-)
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
ChuckS

The Sailun S637 series tire performs as well if not better then GY G614 G rated tire at considerable less cost... proven track record for the last few years...

GYG614 is a nice tire but you pay for the name.... my money would be spent on Sailuns

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The Sailun S637 series tire performs as well if not better then GY G614 G rated tire at considerable less cost... proven track record for the last few years...
It's not a fair comparison; one is LT and the other is ST. The ST has 650# more load capacity at 110 PSI than the LT.

Others that build the exact same tire are;

Carlisle
Gladiator
Hercules
Trans Eagle
Mile Star
Westlake

Just to name a few.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
ChuckS

Oh it’s a fair comparison... GYG614 is an RST American made tire ... the Sailun S637 in 235/85x16 is rated at 4400 lbs versus 3750 for same size tire from GY

Cost difference is considerable :
$182 for S637
$321 for G614

Old 07-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Oh it’s a fair comparison... GYG614 is an RST American made tire ... the Sailun S637 in 235/85x16 is rated at 4400 lbs versus 3750 for same size tire from GY

Cost difference is considerable :
$182 for S637
$321 for G614
Tire fitments ARE NOT selected by brands or $$$, they are selected by DESIGNATED SIZE and load capacity.

The tires in question ARE NOT the same designated size.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
It's not a fair comparison; one is LT and the other is ST. The ST has 650# more load capacity at 110 PSI than the LT.

Others that build the exact same tire are;

Carlisle
Gladiator
Hercules
Trans Eagle
Mile Star
Westlake

Just to name a few.

There is a goo chance that all but GY and Sailun and possibly Carlisle are "private Brand" tires made by one plant. Would need the DOT serial to confirm. Private Brand tires are all the same except got the plate in the side of the mold with tire name changed.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tire fitments ARE NOT selected by brands or $$$, they are selected by DESIGNATED SIZE and load capacity.

The tires in question ARE NOT the same designated size.

It is the sir pressure that carries the load with the air volume (more volume > more load) so bigger tires or higher inflation pressure > more load capacity.

Except for ST which apparently have some magic involved. How can one tire racy significantly more load than another with the same physical size and same inflation pressure? ST use to be speed limited to 65 and that was how they were able to do it. But I don't see that limit being stated.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Sailun's are made in China too. Not defending China, just saying.
I just bought some Saliuns for my truck. They were made in VietNam. Yes, they are LTs not STs so that may be why.

2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
I just bought some Saliuns for my truck. They were made in VietNam. Yes, they are LTs not STs so that may be why.

Same with my Sailun Tera Max LT tires. They are a little over a year old, still look and perform great with no visible wear that I can see in about 12,000 miles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #17
Case580c

Try Boarwheel.com.
You can move up to medium duty truck tires with their wheel package.
Bought our 3 years ago. Great company.
Case580c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
It is the sir pressure that carries the load with the air volume (more volume > more load) so bigger tires or higher inflation pressure > more load capacity.

Except for ST which apparently have some magic involved. How can one tire racy significantly more load than another with the same physical size and same inflation pressure? ST use to be speed limited to 65 and that was how they were able to do it. But I don't see that limit being stated.
I think you missed the point. The poster I'm quoting is comparing The LT235/85R16 steel cased LRG RST (G614) by GY to a ST235/85R16 steel cased LRG by Sailun. My answer to that still stands. They are not the same designated size. Therefore, the load capacity for one is not applicable to the other.

When you apply the RVIA 10% load capacity reserve recommendation to the G614 it does not qualify for OE fitment to vehicle certified 7000# GAWR axles. The Sailun does.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #19
ChuckS

The GYG614 came as OE for several years on the Montana wit( 7K axles....

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords=

However Keystone came to their senses and started us8ng the Sailun S637 series tire only on the Montana... much better tire At half the cost...

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword

Alpine came with E rated crap Trailer King in 2014 but 8n 2015 upgraded to 14 ply G rated tire... not a Sailun... made by Provider... good tire...

The Mastercraft 14 ply is probably a decent 14 ply tire as well... depends on the price they are asking

I am still running my GeoStar 14 ply G rated tires on my 2014 Alpine... I also upped the size from 235/80x16 to 235/85x16

GYG614 is a good tire but it’s expensive and from 100s of posts I’ve seen on many heavy fifth wheels the Sailun is a no brainer

When my GeoStars need replacement I’ll go with S637 Sailun... I have 5 seasons of use and will run this year with no issues.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #20
captcolour

I did not trust the Provider tires on my Alpine and immediately replaced them with Sailuns. Awesome tire.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires