Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
kksfish

Going to Maine

Hi everyone!
In July the DW and I will be taking the month to travel to Maine, our first visit !

Looking for a recommendation on where to go and where to stay for a week or ten days? Hoping to avoid some of the crowds and more interested in dining, micro brews, and scenery plus some local or regional activities. Would appreciate any info on CG near that area as well. We will take a week to drive there and a week home...and yes I am familiar I-95 and will avoid traveling on it! That’s why I am taking a week for travel in both directions....

Thanks in advance for the recommendations
Old 02-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Orchard Beach is a must. Several good cg’s In the area. Make sure to reserve a full day for Portland Downtown. Also make sure to go “Down East” to see the rocky coastline. BarHarbor is a must see, but...Ya can’t Thea frum Hea! lol

Have a great adventure!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Maineiacs

The Bar Harbor area is a great place to visit. Lots of craft brewers and lots of interesting places to visit.

Same with the Moosehead Lake area. Also true of Southern Maine - Portland, Old Orchard Beach, Kennebunkport, etc.

What type of campgrounds do you want? Resort style with hundreds of sites or smaller more rural and less expensive ones?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
Maineiacs

This might interest you. The Maine Beer Trail Challenge! More than 100 to visit.

https://mainebrewersguild.org/visit-...ail-challenge/
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Roscommon48

lands end is a great place to visit and do lunch

http://redapplecampground.com/ nice area too
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:50 AM   #6
Dave W

If you are sticking with the coast, you can start at Kittery (Kittery Trading Post). We stayed a bit away at a CG in S Berwick last year. Moving further up, Saco/Biddeford area. Unless you have kids that NEED to stay near the Old Orchard Beach attractions, I recommend staying at either KOA Saco or Homestead on the River. OOB is only a few miles away.

Freeport and LL Bean and other outlet shopping is a must. We usually stay at the Freeport-Durham KOA along the 'B' row. It's about 5-6 miles to freeport

Booth Bay is tough - CGs are full and the driving can be nasty. We will stay near Portland or Freeport then drive up the few miles.

Next in line is Acadia NP. Lots of CG though we generally stay at Timberland Acres. Most of their sites are huge. It's about 15 miles to Acadia and Bar Harbor (where the parking is next to impossible). There are several other good CGs in the area. Excellant restaurants in Ellsworth

Further up is Harrington. Small quiet CG, Sunset Point. Npt musch except sight seeing. We stay there and enjoy a lobster dinner that the CG owner will cook and bring to your trailer. Last fall, just over 3 pounds of lobster dinner was $28.

Next - Lubec and Roosevelt's Campobello Island summer home, New Brunswick (need a Passport). Not a lot of CGs nearby but the one we stayed in was OK, but we had some heated discussion with the manager that kind of spoiled our stay due to the tight site and their lack of action. Others love it though.

Lots of sight seeing but you do need to trave back roads to get near the shore. Many good restaurants as well - don't miss the seafood

CGs in the South tend to have RVs lined like cordwood and are $$$ plus huge summer traffic
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:22 AM   #7
kksfish

WOW! Thanks for all the good info everyone....a beer trail sounds really interesting to me , maybe not so much to the DW but she is willing to learn!

The DW has narrowed her choices to either Bar Harbor or Portland with trip to Acadia NP as well....our CG needs are FHU w/50 amp.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the good info everyone....a beer trail sounds really interesting to me , maybe not so much to the DW but she is willing to learn!

The DW has narrowed her choices to either Bar Harbor or Portland with trip to Acadia NP as well....our CG needs are FHU w/50 amp.
If you are at Acadia, then you are also at Bar Harbor, both being on Mt Desert Island. Make sure you take a full tour of the island and maybe even a whale watch or boat ride to another island trip. We did that island boat trip 3 years ago and it was a nice day.

Portland can be a great time with interesting shopping and restaurants. You can stay either in the Saco/Biddeford or Freeport area as they are both within 15 miles

Depending on time of year, you may not need 50 amp service. I'm not sure I even dragged that nasty coiled 50 amp anaconda out last year, using only my 30 amp cord.

My wife has stronly hinted that we go back again this year. Having worked in Maine for a couple years in the early 1990s plus vacationd there since the '70s think we need a break, but SWMBO may make the decision .....(maybe)

Oh and send for the Maine touism guide https://www.mainetourism.com/travel-planners/ and https://visitmaine.com/
Old 02-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
kksfish

Thanks Dave, the tourism site is something i hadn’t even thought to do!

Which of the two do you guys think would be the least crowded in July Portland or Bar Harbor.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
Dave W

Quote:
Thanks Dave, the tourism site is something i hadn’t even thought to do!

Which of the two do you guys think would be the least crowded in July Portland or Bar Harbor.

Maine in July is a zoo!!! I-95(Maine Turnpike)/US1 can be bumper to bumper on a weekend. We usually go the last wek in August, first week in September to avoid the crowds.

I would look in the Bar Harbor (Ellsworth/Acadia) area first as there are lseveral good CGs. For many folks from the Boston area, that's just too far for a weekend while the usually filled $$$ Kittery to Portland CGs is just about right for them. Maine is a BIG state. You need to look at the mile scales vs NH and Vermont - they are different.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #11
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Maine in July is a zoo!!! I-95(Maine Turnpike)/US1 can be bumper to bumper on a weekend. We usually go the last wek in August, first week in September to avoid the crowds.

I would look in the Bar Harbor (Ellsworth/Acadia) area first as there are lseveral good CGs. For many folks from the Boston area, that's just too far for a weekend while the usually filled $$$ Kittery to Portland CGs is just about right for them. Maine is a BIG state. You need to look at the mile scales vs NH and Vermont - they are different.
Wow, thanks for all the really good hints Dave
I think you have talked the DW into Bar Harbor....now I will start on choosing the CG AND I will plan on arriving on a Monday or Tuesday to avoid some of the traffic congestion!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
kksfish

Quote:
If you are sticking with the coast, you can start at Kittery (Kittery Trading Post). We stayed a bit away at a CG in S Berwick last year. Moving further up, Saco/Biddeford area. Unless you have kids that NEED to stay near the Old Orchard Beach attractions, I recommend staying at either KOA Saco or Homestead on the River. OOB is only a few miles away.

Freeport and LL Bean and other outlet shopping is a must. We usually stay at the Freeport-Durham KOA along the 'B' row. It's about 5-6 miles to freeport

Booth Bay is tough - CGs are full and the driving can be nasty. We will stay near Portland or Freeport then drive up the few miles.

Next in line is Acadia NP. Lots of CG though we generally stay at Timberland Acres. Most of their sites are huge. It's about 15 miles to Acadia and Bar Harbor (where the parking is next to impossible). There are several other good CGs in the area. Excellant restaurants in Ellsworth

Further up is Harrington. Small quiet CG, Sunset Point. Npt musch except sight seeing. We stay there and enjoy a lobster dinner that the CG owner will cook and bring to your trailer. Last fall, just over 3 pounds of lobster dinner was $28.

Next - Lubec and Roosevelt's Campobello Island summer home, New Brunswick (need a Passport). Not a lot of CGs nearby but the one we stayed in was OK, but we had some heated discussion with the manager that kind of spoiled our stay due to the tight site and their lack of action. Others love it though.

Lots of sight seeing but you do need to trave back roads to get near the shore. Many good restaurants as well - don't miss the seafood

CGs in the South tend to have RVs lined like cordwood and are $$$ plus huge summer traffic

Dave, that huge lobster dinner sounds VERY interesting...think he would bring an ice cold IPA with it for me!😁
Old 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Dave W

Quote:
Dave, that huge lobster dinner sounds VERY interesting...think he would bring an ice cold IPA with it for me!😁
I think that the IPA has to be your choice - I developed a taste for Bar Harbor Ale but they do have an IPA (http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/our-beers/0. This is one of the best seafood restaurants we have eaten at - ever - in Maine:https://lobsterpot.com/ - and you have to get there early or wait. There are several other decent seafood places on the road between Ellsworth and Bar Harbor as well.

Since you will be at Acadia, there is another part of it across the bay called Schoodic and it too is worth a day trip.

Dang but you got me thinking that maybe the DW and I should go back again this year before or after our other trip which is yet to be planned
Old 02-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #14
kksfish

Quote:
I think that the IPA has to be your choice - I developed a taste for Bar Harbor Ale but they do have an IPA (http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/our-beers/0. This is one of the best seafood restaurants we have eaten at - ever - in Maine:https://lobsterpot.com/ - and you have to get there early or wait. There are several other decent seafood places on the road between Ellsworth and Bar Harbor as well.

Since you will be at Acadia, there is another part of it across the bay called Schoodic and it too is worth a day trip.

Dang but you got me thinking that maybe the DW and I should go back again this year before or after our other trip which is yet to be planned

Beer and lobster! What’s not to like.....

If your DW changes your mind we may see you there!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Beer and lobster! What’s not to like.....

If your DW changes your mind we may see you there!
Just set the dates and get your reservations going.

Question now - what routes are you traveling? I can't imagine the I-95 bumper car way, Richmond - Boston but you might consider getting to I-81 North in VA to I-84 near Scranton, PA then to I-87 (NY Thruway/Adirondack Northway to Essex(Exit 31 Westport) or Plattsburg (Exit 37 IIRC) then take a ferry to Vermont, I-89/91 through New Hampshire then to I-95, NH and Maine Turnpikes. Our summer seasonal is off I-87 Exit 31 and overlooks Lake Champlain. That CG usually will have vacancies and is normally quiet except tractor show weekend and dog show weekend.

Note tho that I-81 has fairly heavy truck traffic but it does move faily well, especially past Harrisburg, PA
Old 02-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
kksfish

Quote:
Just set the dates and get your reservations going.

Question now - what routes are you traveling? I can't imagine the I-95 bumper car way, Richmond - Boston but you might consider getting to I-81 North in VA to I-84 near Scranton, PA then to I-87 (NY Thruway/Adirondack Northway to Essex(Exit 31 Westport) or Plattsburg (Exit 37 IIRC) then take a ferry to Vermont, I-89/91 through New Hampshire then to I-95, NH and Maine Turnpikes. Our summer seasonal is off I-87 Exit 31 and overlooks Lake Champlain. That CG usually will have vacancies and is normally quiet except tractor show weekend and dog show weekend.

Note tho that I-81 has fairly heavy truck traffic but it does move faily well, especially past Harrisburg, PA

We haven’t decided on a route yet other than avoiding 95! Since I plan on a week to get to Maine we are looking at what other places/ things we want to do on our way north from Georgia....
Old 02-27-2020, 02:01 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Maine is a large state and bills itself, justly so, as Vacation Land. So it’s quite busy all summer long. Most of the CGs open in early may and are closed in the first week of October.

I’m from Maine, born and raised. In my early years my father had a private pilot license and we flew all around ME & NH exploring the possibilities for remote fishing areas.

It’s my experience as an RV traveler that you cannot get more than a glimpse of Maine in 10-14 days. If you want to explore the coast of Maine you can do most of it from Kittery to Portland in a couple of weeks. Going north to Bangor and then down the Penobscot river and then up to Acadia/Bar Harbor will take another 10-14 days. From Kittery up to Fort Kent is about 375 miles. It’s very scenic with lots of farming country side attractions.

During our RV traveling years we visited Maine numerous times. Being from southern coastal Maine we seldom ventures beyond Portland. We also stayed away from the popular main stream CGs along US1. By going inland 12 – 15 miles you can find great family owned CGs that are quiet and family oriented with great amenities away from the hustle and bustle of the vacationers but still very close to all costal attractions most summertime visitors seek.

My first recommendation is Beaver Dam CG in Berwick ME – very close to my home town of North Berwick.

https://beaverdamcampground.com/

My next recommendation is up the road to Alfred Maine, just a short drive to Sanford where I went to high school.

https://walnutgrovecampground.net/

Up north we like the huge sites at Timberland Acres RV Park and it’s less than a mile to a super Wal-Mart.

https://www.timberlandacresrvpark.com/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:49 AM   #18
notanlines

I believe the old timers on this site will tell you that A) you can't get from Rincon to Bar Harbor and avoid I-95, B) you can barely scratch the surface in one week in Maine, C) spending 2 weeks on the road to visit for one week doesn't compute.
I'd be more inclined to travel the 1300 miles on I-95 in four days and spend the time saved touring Maine. This would give you two full weeks in the state and not so pressed for time.
I probably shouldn't add to your confusion, but if you travel to the western part of the state, go a few extra miles and visit Mt Washington in New Hampshire.
Maine is a great tourist state, I wish we were going along.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #19
Dave W

I can agree with Cal on everything but Beaver Dam CG. Unless you can get into sites 43-45, it's tough to maneuver. Their on line map is NOT indicative of the real layout. We were on site 45 5 nights in September and it worked just fine - that is once we were able to navigate the CGs driveway which required us to drive past and turn around in order to make the tight, narrow turn. I already noted my comments on Timberland Acres though neglected to mention our favorite sites which are 212-222 with virtually thru traffic. Walnut Grove so don't recall much thatwe liked too many years back except it was fine.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:59 AM   #20
CWtheMan

Our Everest was 38’ and we always requested a site for that size with a FHU. Here are some pictures.

Beaver Dam – Berwick, ME
Timberland Acres – Trenton, ME
Walnut Grove – Alfred, ME

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver Dam Campground Berwick, ME.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	25325

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timberland Acres RV Park - Trenton, ME - 3.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	218.0 KB