Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
JGrving

New from Vancouver, Wa

Just bought our first travel trailer, a 2019 Cougar 24SABWE. We will be pulling with our 2021 Ram 2500 Hemi. So many questions… Which hitch system to look at, which surge protector, best way to clean an awning, how to properly caulk (or leave that to a pro). Looking forward to this next adventure in life!

Cheers all,
Jeff
JGrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! We have lots of great, knowledgeable folks here so don't hesitate to ask questions. Pick the proper sub forum and ask away.

Just to touch on your post at a high level; you have a 28'4" travel trailer that has a gvw of 7800 lbs.

For hitch I recommend the Equalizer 4 point. Used one for years and it worked very well. Don't buy a "surge protector" (or get confused with the term usage). Get what is called an EMS (electrical management system) it offers real protections that a "surge protector" does not. EMS units made by Southwire or Progressive seem to be the favorites. The unit will depend on whether your trailer is 30 or 50A.

Caulking is something you can do yourself easily. You need to explain what and where it is that you need to caulk because there are different products for different applications. There are many ways to clean an awning and I'm sure folks will chime in. I wet it, spray it with StarBrite cleaner, roll it up and let it sit for a bit then extend it, brush it and rinse it. Good luck finding all the answers you need.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Sarge2

Welcome from southeastern Michigan... Enjoy! Ask away and I'm sure there are several members that can answer most any question you might have...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hello Jeff! Welcome to you and your family to the forum!

You have come to the right place for RV questions. We have many very knowledgeable folks here who won't steer you wrong.

Enjoy that new Cougar, and stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Howdy Jeff... you have questions? Best way to get answers with context is to click on the UserCP at top left of each page in black band and put together a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for tow vehicle or anything else you like in addition. When asking questions, best to do one topic at a time and you will get more complete information for that question. If you shotgun 7 questions in one post, some will not be sufficiently answered. Anyway, good choice of campers!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Agree with above: 4 point Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. Used one for over 5 years. Once set up, they are extremely easy to hitch and unhitch and work very, very well.

Also agree with the above. Don't get a "surge protector." You will be wasting your money. You should get an EMS. There are a few name brands "out there" but Progressive seems to be the favored child. I've had Surge Guard (surge protector) ... don't waste your money. I've had a Hughes Autofoamer, which I really liked. I still have it as a back up for when we are able to plug into 30 amp service only. (My fifth wheel is 50 amp).

And I've had 1 light weight Progressive portables. It got stolen, and replaced with the Hughes, but now I have a 50 amp (portable) Progressive EMS, and keep a bicycle lock on it at the power post.

By far, the Progressive has been the best.

Awning? There are multiple ways to clean the awning, but I found a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a step ladder, and some back bending contortions work wonderful on the awing. Wipe.... don't rub, then follow with a dry cloth. The chemicals in the Mr. Clean will prevent black mold and gunk from growing. But it won't stop bugs from getting rolled up IN the awning.

Caulking? Again, as stated above, that depends upon what you are caulking and the material around it.

My current fifth wheel has an "Alpha" roof. I use ONLY "Alpha" caulking on it, nothing else. Expensive .... Yes ... $15 a tube. But there is no guess work if it's the right stuff or not. So check with your RV dealership service department and use what they recommend, or your manuals recommend and you won't go wrong. Don't cheap out. Get what's recommended. You are paying a hefty price for a really nice piece of equipment. Don't cheap out and try to compromise on it's parts, service, maintenance, or repairs.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
BandT

Welcome to the the forum! We are not far away, and also new RV owners. Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 AM   #8
spicercars

Welcome from Northern MN.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
Gkri

Welcome to the forum, just joined this week and also a newbie. Just spent a week in Vancouver, WA in June. Nice place!
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote