Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2023, 02:41 AM   #1
Old_Stevenick

Stinky bathroom

First trip of the year and the bathroom smelled like poop. DW wants to sell the TT. I need to get rid of the smell before our next trip.

I use Happy Camper. It might be something about the way I winterized, maybe there was still a pyramid in there?

Even with the lid closed, pump off, a 4 hour drive, it smelled in there.

Could the smell be in the bathroom rather than emanating from the black tank?
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:54 AM   #2
Max23

That smell can come out of the black tank if you don't keep your seal in the toilet wet so it can seal properly. Also you need to be sure your black tank is kept clean as possible. Make sure you put 10% capacity of water in there before you head on your trip. 30 gallon tank = 3 gallons of water etc. The water sloshing around in there will help clean the tank while you head down the road so it can be dumped. Be sure and use your flush system when dumping. Use your chemicals as well which it sounds like you do. Gotta keep that tank healthy. Might take a trip or two but that should help.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
dutchmensport

You can put a cap full of cooking oil in the bottom of the toilet to use as a lubricant for the seal. (Make sure the water is turned off first). Then push the peddle a couple of times to spread the oil. Now turn the water back on and push the peddle. This will add water back to the bottom of the bowl and create a seal. This will work for a while until the oil washes away eventually. If the seal in the bottom of the toilet does not hold water, then the seal needs replaced. And THAT is the cause of your odor.

Also, if the seal in the bottom of the toilet is not sealing (water running out), and you turn on the ceiling exhaust fan, the fan will pull the odors from the black tank (upward.... backwards) and this can cause awful smells. Shut that fan off and air the trailer out. Air freshener spray will help a lot.

This is the number 1 cause of black tank odors in RV bathrooms. It's common, it happens, and it's a very easy fix. I use a cheap Olive Oil rather than a corn oil.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:34 AM   #4
Old_Stevenick

Thanks. What about the roof vent? Could that be clogged?
Old 08-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Stevenick View Post
Thanks. What about the roof vent? Could that be clogged?
First trip of the season and the toilet stinks.....

Most probable cause is a dry bowl seal (as described above).

Second most probable cause is a "displaced bowl seal" caused by the valve being stuck to the seal when first activated and pulling the seal off its mounting flange...

Third most probable cause is a damaged bowl seal that's torn or compressed and no longer the correct shape.

Fourth most probable cause is a plugged vent stack. This could be either from something "built up in the roof vent cover that's blocking the vent stack or, more likely, if the black tank is too full, the level of the contents in the black tank are "above the vent stack opening in the tank, which causes the black tank to "plug its own vent stack" and allows pressure to build up INSIDE the black tank, simply because there is no longer any "vent access to the roof".....

Solution for #4 is to dump the black tank or climb on the roof with a hose, remove the vent stack cap and run the hose into the vent. If it fills up and overflows, it's a plugged vent stack. If it flows into the black tank, go back to the first three probable causes.....

There is a VERY REMOTE chance that your toilet base flange gasket may be leaking, but unless you've removed the toilet or have some issues with a soft floor from previous damage, that's not likely.

Main focus, IMO, is that toilet bowl rubber seal. The Dometic owners manual describes how to replace the seal and how to use hot water to "reform" the seal. Even with a new seal, there's a chance that the "hot water treatment" may be needed.....

I'd focus first on

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #6
firestation12

You didn’t share what toilet you have. A friend had a thetford that always smelled.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
Old_Stevenick

I'm not sure what type of toilet, it's a 2018 Crossfire Bullet standard install. I'll go look in a while.

I put some canola oil in and followed the instructions above and it seems to smell better in there already.

I will go up on the roof and run some water down the vent if I can.

I dumped, did the No Fuss Flush spray water back in (not for a long time though) and I put the wand with the rotating head on it down the toilet for a couple of minutes.

I think it's not empty though, gauge says so (I know gauges can be wrong) but when I look down into the toilet I think I see liquid. Shouldn't be more than a couple of gallons in there, so possibly there's a blockage or buildup.

Hot water treatment? edit, you're talking about the seal hot water. I thought you meant putting boiling water down the toilet and letting it sit? Can you describe your process for this please?
Old 08-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #8
firestation12

Be careful of how much water you put in the vent stack. If there is no reflux after 2-3 gallons, that’s enough to eliminate a clogged vent stack. An unattended hose stream with the dump valve closed can cause you untold grief in short order.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #9
Old_Stevenick

Makes sense. It smells so much better in there now that I don't even know if I need to put water down the vent. I think I will do a long no-fuss-flush at some point, but would have to drain it in the woods behind my barn.

I never have the patience dumping after camping to do a long black tank clean back fill.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Hot water treatment? edit, you're talking about the seal hot water. I thought you meant putting boiling water down the toilet and letting it sit? Can you describe your process for this please?

It's in the Dometic Owner's Manual. https://www.dometic.com/assets/41/80...nual_54180.pdf

Here's what it says:
IF NEW MODEL 310 TOILET DOES NOT HOLD WATER IN BOWL…
Please follow the procedures below before attempting to replace the seal.
1. Hold flush ball in full open position by pressing on pedal.
2. Using finger, apply moderate downward pressure around edge of ball seal.
3. Close flush ball.
4. Keeping flush ball closed, pour one quart of hot tap water into toilet bowl.
5. Let water cool completely.
6. Check for leak.
If leak still persists, flush ball seal should be replaced. Follow instructions provided with replacement seal kit.

The above procedure also works on "OLD MODEL TOILETS" (not just on new model toilets)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2023, 09:36 AM   #11
Old_Stevenick

My bowl doesn't leak, it holds water.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
My bowl doesn't leak, it holds water.
That's still "my list of suggestions to fix the problem"... You can try it or not, it's your choice....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2023, 04:05 AM   #13
Old_Stevenick

If the roof vent is clogged (water backs up quickly when hosed down vent from roof) how do you unclog it?
Old 08-11-2023, 04:18 AM   #14
firestation12

That’s what a plumbers snake is for. I doubt this will be necessary though.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
Old 08-11-2023, 04:22 AM   #15
Old_Stevenick

If there's buildup in the tank, can I close the drain opening, put a wand in and practically fill it with water? It's a 30 gallon tank.

Can I put in maybe 15-20 gallons, dump some boiling water in there, let it sit and then drain it into the woods behind my barn?

I just think that the toilet seal fix (which I'm working on) is only part of the problem, I think there's a pyramid or some other buildup in the tank.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:23 AM   #16
Old_Stevenick

I possibly left it too dry over the winter without it having been properly and fully emptied my last trip last year.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:47 AM   #17
foldbak

Mine does that in the summer months. The water in the tank evaporates and gets stinky. I flush about 3 times at every dump. I found that if I add water and 2 pods prior to leaving it takes care of the problem. Might have to add another once arriving to the camp site.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:34 AM   #18
Old_Stevenick

Smells good in there today, of course it's been cleaned out and not used, so no new poo to stink it up. as I haven't gone up on the roof yet and tried to take the vent cap off, but for now I'm hoping I got it cleaned. The 1 or so inches of water in the bottom of the bowl has stayed there, so my assumption is that it's not leaking.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:15 AM   #19
Wyldfire

Best fix I have found:

https://kleentank.com/tank-maintenan...nmnY21THCwwB24
Old 08-12-2023, 08:00 AM   #20
Old_Stevenick

Are you talking about this?

"Mix 40 ounces of Pine-Sol with enough water to just about fill a gallon jug. Top off with a one cup or eight ounces of Calgon Bath Beads. Use eight ounces in each tank (or more in especially hot weather or if your tanks will be filling up slowly over time)."