Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2023, 03:13 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaS View Post
Going to the shop September 7th. My credit card will most likely have a workout.. zero to ? In one day...

The situation stinks I know. I don't know what expertise you have but many things can be repaired by the owner. When it gets structural it takes more knowledge and "guts" to dig into it so a shop may be the answer.

Taking it to the shop keep in mind that there are good shops and bad shops so do some research before committing to spending $$$ then letting them do anything, particularly structural, to your trailer. Some places have no idea but will certainly take it in, make it worse and bill you for a primo job.

If you take it in you might want to get an estimate from them with details on exactly what they propose to do and pass it by the folks here - lots of experience on here on dealing with various matters. Again, good luck in the endeavor....and like you, I couldn't/wouldn't pass that on to someone else like was done to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #42
PamelaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The situation stinks I know. I don't know what expertise you have but many things can be repaired by the owner. When it gets structural it takes more knowledge and "guts" to dig into it so a shop may be the answer.

Taking it to the shop keep in mind that there are good shops and bad shops so do some research before committing to spending $$$ then letting them do anything, particularly structural, to your trailer. Some places have no idea but will certainly take it in, make it worse and bill you for a primo job.

If you take it in you might want to get an estimate from them with details on exactly what they propose to do and pass it by the folks here - lots of experience on here on dealing with various matters. Again, good luck in the endeavor....and like you, I couldn't/wouldn't pass that on to someone else like was done to you.
Thanks for the advice!! The warranty will cover the retractable cover over the slide. An estimate for the rest.
PamelaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 04:49 PM   #43
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Actually you should have inspected it BEFORE signing the papers! If you don't feel comfortable doing yourself, find and RV inspection service, or a very good RV mobile service to check it out.
Sadly, OP, we have seen it happen so many times that a newbie makes the wrong expensive investment and only THEN joins the forum (subscribes to an RV magazine, etc.) to find out they've made a mistake. And it's entirely unreasonable to expect that very many people are going to do it in the "proper" order, so it is what it is.

A lot of us here did that. I was amazed when I came here to be told that my truck was probably "under water" in capacity to pull my rig, but they were right, and I ended up upgrading to a bigger truck. (DW hated the old one with a passion, so it wasn't as discouraging as it could have been.)

I also did a crap pre-sales inspection, and ended up taking care of a lot of lemon pits on my own (nothing like yours, though).

If you decide you want to move forward with RVing after all, at least you have found a knowledgable resource to have your back.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:35 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

My granddad had a habit of asking me a question when I got mad or angry while growing up.... He'd sit me down, talk about something I liked, to calm me down, and when I was rational again, he'd simply ask me, "Johnny, what was it on this day last year that had you mad at the world?".....

I'd think for a minute or two and ALWAYS was unable to tell him specifically what I was mad about a year ago on the same date.... He'd then reply, "Son, next year, this same day, you won't remember this as being worth the anger either".....

I've learned through the years, that he was right, 100% of the time. Things aren't as bad as we think them to be, once we get through the "uphill battle we are facing"....

So, this time next year, you'll very likely look back and see this issue in an entirely different "pit of the stomach issue"....

You probably bought the trailer expecting to fulfill some family wishes, find time to spend with kids that are growing up too fast, make some memories for them and for you that you'll cherish the rest of your lives.... You can still do that, and this time next year, while sitting around a campfire, making smores and telling ghost stories, the roof won't seem to be nearly as frustrating as it is today....

Take a deep breath, smile at the face in the mirror, and make things better. Next year will be here before you know it .....

Good luck and try to find the silver lining that motivated you to buy that trailer in the first place. It's still there, just dimmed a bit by the situation....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:53 AM   #45
PamelaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My granddad had a habit of asking me a question when I got mad or angry while growing up.... He'd sit me down, talk about something I liked, to calm me down, and when I was rational again, he'd simply ask me, "Johnny, what was it on this day last year that had you mad at the world?".....

I'd think for a minute or two and ALWAYS was unable to tell him specifically what I was mad about a year ago on the same date.... He'd then reply, "Son, next year, this same day, you won't remember this as being worth the anger either".....

I've learned through the years, that he was right, 100% of the time. Things aren't as bad as we think them to be, once we get through the "uphill battle we are facing"....

So, this time next year, you'll very likely look back and see this issue in an entirely different "pit of the stomach issue"....

You probably bought the trailer expecting to fulfill some family wishes, find time to spend with kids that are growing up too fast, make some memories for them and for you that you'll cherish the rest of your lives.... You can still do that, and this time next year, while sitting around a campfire, making smores and telling ghost stories, the roof won't seem to be nearly as frustrating as it is today....

Take a deep breath, smile at the face in the mirror, and make things better. Next year will be here before you know it .....

Good luck and try to find the silver lining that motivated you to buy that trailer in the first place. It's still there, just dimmed a bit by the situation....
Actually, we are approaching retirement and looking to travel. I seem to wear the 'stupid' sign on my forehead. Not my first rodeo being naive to sales people and well thought out dreams. I suppose I trust people more than I should. I am getting far to old for the fight! The silver lining is, I hope, we rent it out and make lots of money and pay it off fast! Maybe even take those trips we had planned...
Thank you so much for your share, I will try to spin this in a positive way.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:14 AM   #46
RollaMo

Quote:
The silver lining is, I hope, we rent it out and make lots of money and pay it off fast!
I am afraid you will be opening up a whole new can of worms if you do this!
Old 08-31-2023, 05:33 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
I am afraid you will be opening up a whole new can of worms if you do this!
For sure !!!!! These days, people just don't take care of other people's stuff like they used to. A couple of RV sales places around here used to (past tense) rent smaller travel trailers (18-25' range) and then, at the end of the year, sell them as used trailers. One of those dealerships is out of business, the other no longer rents trailers, not even "trade in trailers that are/were for sale".

I was talking to the sales manager at the dealership where we bought the Cougar a couple months ago. I asked if they were going to get back into the rental market and he replied that while it used to be a "cash cow" for them, at the price of trailers, the interest rate to buy them and the costs for maintenance and upkeep, they lost money every year for the last 5 or 6 on their rental fleet, so they are no longer in the rental business.

It's not like the "Air B&B" market, rather closer to the "hot rod rental" market. Expect that every time someone brings it back, the tanks will be full, stove greasy, refrigerator with dried rings from leaking milk cartons, then there's the "bed bug issue" with a mattress you may plan to sleep on in a couple days, plus the urine on the floor around the toilet to clean up......

You might make a few bucks, but at what expense and inconvenience ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:01 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Actually, we are approaching retirement and looking to travel. I seem to wear the 'stupid' sign on my forehead. Not my first rodeo being naive to sales people and well thought out dreams. I suppose I trust people more than I should. I am getting far to old for the fight! The silver lining is, I hope, we rent it out and make lots of money and pay it off fast! Maybe even take those trips we had planned...
Thank you so much for your share, I will try to spin this in a positive way.

I would highly recommend against the above. Things are not like they used to be and anything you let someone rent to stay it or travel in will more than likely (80/20) come back either filthy beyond belief or torn up.

I would never dream of renting my trailer to anyone to take on a trip. Newbies don't know anything about a trailer and think it's a regular house and will tear it up. No experience in towing, tire care, running over curbs, backing into trees, draining tanks...the list is endless and YOU will be the one repairing it when it comes back. Considering it cost me $3200 to have a gray tank replaced you just don't want to even think about it.

The other option would be to rent it in place at a site - don't. I know 2 people that do/did that. One (Class A) was listed as an Airbnb. They tried renting it and she said they could not keep up with repairs and cleaning. Dog stuff all over the floors, broken fixtures, furniture etc. The other (a dear friend now deceased) tried renting hers for extra income - more trouble than it was worth. After the first couple of renters had to replace the carpet. Her husband was over every other day trying to fix some sort of problem for whoever was there. They called him to refill the LP tanks because it was "his" trailer etc. It was a huge headache. She passed away and the last time I visited with him in March he was there pulling the LP tanks to refill them. When I asked how it was going he just shook his head. He needs the extra money but said if he couldn't be there every other day to fix something etc. it would be a losing proposition.

I just don't envision my retirement being like that. If you haven't retired you all that would have to be added to your current work schedules. If you don't have the expertise to do the repairs and have to hire it out....you'll go broke. Just my view from here.

On the flip side; get the dealership to fix what they will properly. Hopefully nothing structural was damaged. If it was a tree that came down on the roof you should be able to tell it. Those patches look like they either covered holes or tears. By gently pressing on that Eternabond patch you should be able to feel any hole. Hopefully it's only a tear. Check that and KNOW what you are dealing with before they look at it....I get the distinct feeling that these guys are either playing you or don't know what they're doing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:26 AM   #49
PamelaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would highly recommend against the above. Things are not like they used to be and anything you let someone rent to stay it or travel in will more than likely (80/20) come back either filthy beyond belief or torn up.

I would never dream of renting my trailer to anyone to take on a trip. Newbies don't know anything about a trailer and think it's a regular house and will tear it up. No experience in towing, tire care, running over curbs, backing into trees, draining tanks...the list is endless and YOU will be the one repairing it when it comes back. Considering it cost me $3200 to have a gray tank replaced you just don't want to even think about it.

The other option would be to rent it in place at a site - don't. I know 2 people that do/did that. One (Class A) was listed as an Airbnb. They tried renting it and she said they could not keep up with repairs and cleaning. Dog stuff all over the floors, broken fixtures, furniture etc. The other (a dear friend now deceased) tried renting hers for extra income - more trouble than it was worth. After the first couple of renters had to replace the carpet. Her husband was over every other day trying to fix some sort of problem for whoever was there. They called him to refill the LP tanks because it was "his" trailer etc. It was a huge headache. She passed away and the last time I visited with him in March he was there pulling the LP tanks to refill them. When I asked how it was going he just shook his head. He needs the extra money but said if he couldn't be there every other day to fix something etc. it would be a losing proposition.

I just don't envision my retirement being like that. If you haven't retired you all that would have to be added to your current work schedules. If you don't have the expertise to do the repairs and have to hire it out....you'll go broke. Just my view from here.

On the flip side; get the dealership to fix what they will properly. Hopefully nothing structural was damaged. If it was a tree that came down on the roof you should be able to tell it. Those patches look like they either covered holes or tears. By gently pressing on that Eternabond patch you should be able to feel any hole. Hopefully it's only a tear. Check that and KNOW what you are dealing with before they look at it....I get the distinct feeling that these guys are either playing you or don't know what they're doing.
Renting through Outdoorsy and RV share affords insurance and high security deposits. The renter is obligated through a legal contract to abide by the rules and regulations throughly mentioned in said contract.
The renter is protected up to $1 million dollars. The insurance is quite expensive and paid by the renter. I am very choosy who rents- turning down thousands in income.
We will definitely check the patches as you stated. I am not sure it would make any difference at this point. We are looking at replacing the entire roof at $105 per linear foot.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:31 AM   #50
PamelaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
For sure !!!!! These days, people just don't take care of other people's stuff like they used to. A couple of RV sales places around here used to (past tense) rent smaller travel trailers (18-25' range) and then, at the end of the year, sell them as used trailers. One of those dealerships is out of business, the other no longer rents trailers, not even "trade in trailers that are/were for sale".

I was talking to the sales manager at the dealership where we bought the Cougar a couple months ago. I asked if they were going to get back into the rental market and he replied that while it used to be a "cash cow" for them, at the price of trailers, the interest rate to buy them and the costs for maintenance and upkeep, they lost money every year for the last 5 or 6 on their rental fleet, so they are no longer in the rental business.

It's not like the "Air B&B" market, rather closer to the "hot rod rental" market. Expect that every time someone brings it back, the tanks will be full, stove greasy, refrigerator with dried rings from leaking milk cartons, then there's the "bed bug issue" with a mattress you may plan to sleep on in a couple days, plus the urine on the floor around the toilet to clean up......

You might make a few bucks, but at what expense and inconvenience ????
So far so good! Everyone has been respectful and left it a great condition. The insurance coverage through Outdoorsy and RV share is enough to ensure renters behave. Most renters chosen have reviews from past rentals. Not a guarantee for sure..and before anyone comments that the roof could have been from a rental.. the dealer already let it be known damage was there when sold to us. I save all correspondence!
Old 09-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #51
Ddaddyo

You bought a 5 year old Camper a year and a half ago and just noticed a problem?
As mentioned before an Independent Inspection would save you a lot of Grief.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #52
vampress_me

I may be missing something (or maybe a whole lot of something), but I’m confused. The camper was bought 18 months ago, I assume used during those 18 months without an issue, and now it is discovered there always was a roof problem as long as you have owned it. Why does it matter now for its intended use? If the dealer is willing to work with you on getting a proper fix, how has the intention of how the camper is to be used by you changed? Don’t get me wrong, I’d be pissed as all get out at the dealer, and honestly, probably try to get them to admit/ give you some money back on the roof damage they knew about, or better yet refund you the entire cost and take it back. But, I just don’t understand how all of a sudden this seems to limit you on what you can do with the camper. It hasn’t fallen apart in the past few days/ weeks since discover. It hasn’t leaked water (again, I assume, or you would have stated so). Just go out and use it like you intended.

I guess I’m viewing this the same way as when I’ve hit a deer or like when I was rear ended last week. If the vehicle is still drivable (as checked out/ ok’d by a mechanic), heck, I’m going to use it until it can be fixed. Or do as some people do, drive it the way it is. It can still be used for its intended purpose safely, just maybe not look as pretty.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:50 AM   #53
RET.LEO

Quote:
Pretty sure another RV will not be in our future. But yes, i agree.
That would probably be for the best actually. Trying to have the Dealer take it back after 15 months of the sale is unreal. You have to be joking! Buying a used trailer without hiring a inspector is a recipe for disaster. Then to buy one without even getting up on the roof to check it is unreal.
The service guy probably didn't look up from his computer to keep from laughing at you or saying something inappropriate. The fact is it was sold as a used trailer. Probably stated right in the sales contract "sold as is, where is, without warranty expressed or implied"
Your comments leads one to think that you realize that you are not (pardon me) "smart buyers" Knowing this, bring someone else with you on major purchases that you trust.
Unless the patch job is leaking you have a functional trailer. Decide if you want to have the Dealer repair it or not. Get a estimate from another dealer to see if your dealer really is helping you out.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #54
PamelaS

Just a quick update. The RV has been at a different branch same owner for nearly 6 weeks. Communication ongoing between two general managers- where I bought it and where it sits. The reason we didn't bring it back to where we bought it is because it's a 2 Hour drive, whereas where it sits is five minutes. They agreed to fix the warranty problems...so far so good.
Hopefully we get a decision before it starts snowing as it is not winterized yet.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #55
PamelaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
That would probably be for the best actually. Trying to have the Dealer take it back after 15 months of the sale is unreal. You have to be joking! Buying a used trailer without hiring a inspector is a recipe for disaster. Then to buy one without even getting up on the roof to check it is unreal.
The service guy probably didn't look up from his computer to keep from laughing at you or saying something inappropriate. The fact is it was sold as a used trailer. Probably stated right in the sales contract "sold as is, where is, without warranty expressed or implied"
Your comments leads one to think that you realize that you are not (pardon me) "smart buyers" Knowing this, bring someone else with you on major purchases that you trust.
Unless the patch job is leaking you have a functional trailer. Decide if you want to have the Dealer repair it or not. Get a estimate from another dealer to see if your dealer really is helping you out.
Unfortunately, selling our boat and buying this camper, was the biggest mistake we've ever made. I guess ya live and ya learn.

Tags
damage