Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Travel When Restrictions lifted

If your state is like mine, we have not been able to get out and RV yet, and I have cancelled one trip so far this year. I am in hopes things will open this summer so I can back out there. My hope is to go to Assateague Island in MD. at the end of June. What about you? Where is the first place everyone is going to head in the RV once the restrictions are lifted?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

We have one trip planned, our annual Opening of Bass Season in the upper peninsula. Otherwise, we've pretty much put everything else on hold until we find out what does/doesn't happen. There will be some places that likely won't be "up and running" in June, maybe not even in July and other states that are going to "need to absorb the mass migration of people who had planned to go to places that aren't open. So, where will that "rip-tide" flow ??? Not in the campground I'm paying too much to sit in an overcrowded space.... We'll wait until next year to get "back out and enjoying RV travel"...

I honestly think it's too early to make plans for June, and if there's a resurgence during opening some states, maybe it's too early for July or even August. Until those 24+ million people get their jobs back, there's way too much potential for things to go "bananas"...

We've already had several "They won't refund my deposit" threads, I don't want to be "fighting for mine".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
If your state is like mine, we have not been able to get out and RV yet, and I have cancelled one trip so far this year. I am in hopes things will open this summer so I can back out there. My hope is to go to Assateague Island in MD. at the end of June. What about you? Where is the first place everyone is going to head in the RV once the restrictions are lifted?
You are in Prince Georges County, one of the hardest hit in the state. I wouldn't count on anything happening anytime soon. When they start opening parks I would assume it will be for limited times and not camping. I told my DW the other day that I'm not expecting to see any fireworks displayed anywhere near this year.

Here's a link on the cases in Maryland. https://covid19.biglocalnews.org/cou...#/county/24033
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Based on my dim recollection of life in Maryland, seems to me Burtonsville is in Montgomery County. I would guess it is similar to PG County in terms of the effects of the bug and likely regulations are similar.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Wait to get out and RV?? Cancel trips?? What?

Heck we've got our first night since this virus thing set up for tomorrow night for 3 days!! Camping and glamping in the new trailer. Hanging out, beautiful sights, fun, sun you name it!

Of course, our little soiree will happen a couple of miles from the house here, at the local RV park, in the middle of our barren W TX landscape. The glamping will be here at the house as our RV sits unattended some of the time. I just have to get some time in it before I take it in for my last warranty repairs (I hope). Don't know if anyone else has ever encountered it but the LP tank straps were too short! They won't fully close; one spring was missing from a screen and the tech overtightened and broke a screw off when replacing the furnace control board (haven't been able to remove it with an extractor yet).

Anyway, we will sleep in it, make breakfast and run it through the paces. It will be a blast even if it's just "right over there" and certainly not picturesque.

As far as "future" trips I'm thinking things are really going to be in a state of flux from what I'm hearing from all the "trapped" folks. Those that are retired are chomping at the bit to "go", those that have lost jobs are going to be going wherever to find a job while the places we're trying to go to are trying to get back up to speed after firing everyone due to our current situation. Whoops! and then, a single person will again test positive for the virus in some remote location; their name, picture and everything about the situation along with the horrific, dire predictions for it will permeate the media around the globe and the knee jerk reactions will begin and then there I'll be; locked, impounded, quarantined at some midpoint, no name RV park in Podunk USA with not a grocery store to be found, no laundry and 2 pair of underwear ...….Nah, think I'll just wait, but, it does remind me that I probably ought to go down and get me 5 lbs of bologna to put in the freezer in case I AM caught in that Podunk place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Based on my dim recollection of life in Maryland, seems to me Burtonsville is in Montgomery County. I would guess it is similar to PG County in terms of the effects of the bug and likely regulations are similar.
You are correct. PG is next door. They are both to close to D.C. for me!
Old 04-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
gearhead

We were cancelled for our Virginia trip including the NASCAR race. We will have credits to use later this year or next. We have the month of August reserved in Colorado. I can't decide if I want to cancel that or not. I've got the itch real bad to get on the road. Thinking about loading the Bigfoot and doing some USAC race watching and/or trout fishing. Or maybe that Glacier NP trip. It's all up in the air right now.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Canonman

Utah has just opened the State Parks for camping with only a couple of exceptions. We're booked for May 5th at a close by park. Lakeside spot, walking distance to the golf course and plenty of room between neighbors.
Cinco Di Mayo, Taco Tuesday and spring is in the air. Can't wait to get out camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9307.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	26800  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

We will go to a TX State Park when they open for overnight, then to Carroll County MD to see my Mom, BIL & SIL as soon as MD opens up. (Actually will stay at Ramblin Pines which I think is in Howard County)
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
We will go to a TX State Park when they open for overnight, then to Carroll County MD to see my Mom, BIL & SIL as soon as MD opens up. (Actually will stay at Ramblin Pines which I think is in Howard County)
MD governor to hold press conference about it. The requirement for first stage is a 2 week decline in new cases, in the past 24 hrs there's been 582 new cases. Most estimates put that at June 5, So extrapolate out a minimum of 2 more weeks for phase 2 then another 2 weeks out for phase 3 puts a "complete" re-opening at first week of July. That's if it all goes to plan.

We used to camp at Ramblin Pines as our first outing of the season. A few years ago we arrived 15 before "check I time" and they wanted to charge an extra $10. I told them I'd park at the cg entrance and wait. The woman got really crappy about it so I asked to see the manager. By the time she arrived 15 MI. + has passed. Between that and the high prices $70 ? we now go to PA (Lancaster area) instead.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
larrygiordano

We have been making reservations for May and June with the thinking, if they open things back up, we have somewhere to go, if not we simply cancel and wait for the next one. We have had to cancel 2 in April so far (both in our home state-PA) and expect to be canceling one for May 1 (also PA). This way when things do reopen we should at least have some reservation somewhere before it goes"bananas" and we can't get in anywhere.
larrygiordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You are correct. PG is next door. They are both to close to D.C. for me!
When we moved back to the States from overseas, we moved to College Park and when President Reagan took office and interest rates dropped and we could afford a better home, we moved to Riverdale. That area disintegrated with Hud housing infiltrating and drive by shootings so I wangled a job in Texas.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
When we moved back to the States from overseas, we moved to College Park and when President Reagan took office and interest rates dropped and we could afford a better home, we moved to Riverdale. That area disintegrated with Hud housing infiltrating and drive by shootings so I wangled a job in Texas.
Rt 1 from there up to College Park does have problems with crime.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
We used to camp at Ramblin Pines as our first outing of the season. A few years ago we arrived 15 before "check I time" and they wanted to charge an extra $10. I told them I'd park at the cg entrance and wait. The woman got really crappy about it so I asked to see the manager. By the time she arrived 15 MI. + has passed. Between that and the high prices $70 ? we now go to PA (Lancaster area) instead.
Yeah, Ramblin Pines is definitely on the expensive side, but we have never encountered anything like that, they even left us stay an extra night when we got snowed in at no charge. We stay there because Mom is in an assisted living facility in Westminster and it's pretty convenient to visit her each day and get back for the dogs. Also there is a pretty good place for crabs in Woodbine.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #15
jsb5717

We still have reservations at one our favorite State Parks in Oregon, Prineville Reservoir. We go every year over July 4th for 9-10 days. Here's hoping we can still go. Our Memorial Day reservations at a Clackamas County park were just canceled. They are closing all of their parks through May.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #16
uechikid

We were hoping to do Utah’s might five in late May or early June. We’ll just have to wait and see.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:07 AM   #17
fatcatzzz

We just finish booking our trip from North Carolina to Oregon. Hope to be there by the start of crabbing season.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #18
Frank G

All this summer activity brought back memories of the 4th of July get together on the sand bar in Torch Lake MI. Since this is a local impromptu annual event I wonder if cancellation is possible. I'm sure the "Burger Barge" will be well stocked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Torch Lake.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	26852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burger Barge.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	26853  
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #19
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
We were hoping to do Utah’s might five in late May or early June. We’ll just have to wait and see.
Watching the news here, there is a good chance the parks will open.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/4/...-and-safe-plan
State Parks are open now and we just made reservations for May5.
Here's hoping we get opened up in time for your trip.
BTW there are some very cool places to visit outside the park boundaries and BLM camping is still open as far as I know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	26854   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1658 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	26855   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	26856  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Canonman I don't think keeping a "social distance" would be a problem where those beautiful pictures were taken.