Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
Mkb

Backup camera

I have a 2021 Outback 330rl, my tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford F250 Superduty. I'm trying to hook up a Haloview BT7 camera on the back. Trailer is pre-wired for a plug in type system. I get no power to the camera. Truck is plugged in with the 7 pin connector and lights are on. All outside trailer marker lights are on. Still no power to the camera. When I hook the camera up to the monitor in the cab it works fine.

What am I missing?

Edit:12/12/23
Found out the pre-wired camera wire wasn't hooked to anything.
Mkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Have you tried checking the available wires for power with a multimeter? If so maybe check for the voltage to see if it's 12v or more. You can also pull the clearance light and see if the wiring is connected to that. If not you can splice into that wiring which should then operate the camera.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
Mkb

I have tested the wires with a multimeter, no power. I can get my pinky finger in the whole but can't tell where the wire goes. The marker lights above the camera mount are little dot lights. There feels like a piece of wood between the camera mount and the lights.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
jsb5717

Seems like there was another post recently with a similar problem. Just for the fun of it have you tried the truck in reverse to see if that will power the camera?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
Mkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Seems like there was another post recently with a similar problem. Just for the fun of it have you tried the truck in reverse to see if that will power the camera?
I will tomorrow, it's dark and cold here in Wisconsin right now. After reading some other posts on a couple other sites and this one, that was my next step.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:00 AM   #6
flyingjack

Installed a china brand camera (less than $150) on 2022 295RL. Monitor worked once when camera plugged into cig lighter but not when mounted on back of 5er. Two problems: finally found monitor was bad and during Covid build our 295 had incandescent marker lights installed instead of LED as stated so not enough power to the back markers to op camera. Camera company replaced monitor and I replaced ALL marker light bulbs with LED and had enough power to run camera. All good for last 5 trips (over 10,000 miles). BTW, my cheap china camera works great and very clear.
flyingjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
Mkb

I have all LEDs. I have a scope that I'm tracing the wire with and I think I found the connection. Unfortunately while I was drilling out the hole to get my fingers in there, I drilled fight into the camera wire. Now I'm either going to fish a new wire down to the bottom and up to the battery or try to splice into the old one.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkb View Post
What am I missing?
You have not filled out and posted a profile. What truck do you drive?

If it is a GM - - - -

From eTrailer:
"The newer Chevrolet and GM pickup trucks have a known power deficiency issue with the Furrion Vision S Wireless RV Observation Camera System (and other after market systems). There is likely nothing wrong that you did, the problem is the truck does not provide enough power on the running light circuit.
Furrion has recognized this as a widespread issue . . . "

This is known as a PWM (pulse width modulation) issue. Google pwm issues or pwm problems or pwm & gm trucks, etc., and you'll get a ton of results.

eTrailer mentions Furrion specifically but the problem effects any camera. GM trucks just don't send enough power back there to get the camera's working.

There are also youtube videos addressing this problem.

You can get a Haloview power booster on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-BST2.../dp/B099KBTJKZ

This is a common problem for newer GM owners and is often discussed on other RV forums. I have seen many posts on it in Forest River Forums, Jayco forums, Grand Design forums, Airstream forums, etc..

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:40 AM   #9
Mkb

My tow truck is a 2019 Ford F250 Super Duty. I have the side cameras hooked up and they work fine.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:34 AM   #10
paklein58

Are your truck lights on "Auto" or "On"? My trailer backup camera wouldn't work unless my tow vehicle was turned to On.
paklein58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkb View Post
I have a 2021 Outback 330rl, my tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford F250 Superduty. I'm trying to hook up a Haloview BT7 camera on the back. Trailer is pre-wired for a plug in type system. I get no power to the camera. Truck is plugged in with the 7 pin connector and lights are on. All outside trailer marker lights are on. Still no power to the camera. When I hook the camera up to the monitor in the cab it works fine.

What am I missing?

Edit:12/12/23
Found out the pre-wired camera wire wasn't hooked to anything.
Some rigs have that power wired to the reverse… so camera only powers up when in reverse. (I hate this)
Mine is wired to power up when lights are turned on.

It can be changed and there are different procedures for each model.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote