Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #21
ChuckS
Senior Member
 
ChuckS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Home, Idaho
Posts: 2,964
The recirculation loop line that has no where to be connected to is what gets capped ..
__________________


2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:35 PM   #22
cjenks234
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Princeton
Posts: 2
My question is whether the water that is in the loop will just remain there from the farthest faucet which is in the shower to the point just is up by the water heater. They are approximately 30 ft. And would that effect the water temp.
cjenks234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #23
atucker
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Fayette
Posts: 3
How do you cap off the recirculating line? This doesn't cause an issue? Our IW60RL cracked after they said no need to worry in freezing temps.
atucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:15 PM   #24
Mikendebbie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 354
Hopefully someone will chime in who has done this successfully. I have no idea unfortunately. But if I were faced with this issue - I would remove the water heater from the RV and take the casing/panels off and figure out what components cracked. If you look at the photo in post #17 - did the black plastic pump crack? Did the silver tank in the back crack ? Then I would figure out if it is possible to isolate the internal pump/tank loop…follow the piping. It appears that there will be one pipe from the RV that was connected to the upper left recirc nipple. I have no idea if it will be a blue or red pipe - but it needs to be capped.

All of this is pure speculation on my part…hopefully you will get better information from someone here in the forum.

If you elect to purchase an IW60 - you will still need to cap off the recirc pipe. For the IW60 you only need to hook up a blue cold supply pipe and a red (hot) water pipe to the appropriate nipples on the back side.
__________________
'19 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
'18 Montana 3921FB Aggie ‘77
('17 Laredo 330RL previous RV)
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:27 AM   #25
Dshemingway00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Davison
Posts: 5
My IW60Rl pump failed and I replaced it only to find out that the electronic board/modules are fried too.

When you swapped to the IW60 were you able to use the existing remote thermostat?
Dshemingway00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #26
tallen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshemingway00 View Post
My IW60Rl pump failed and I replaced it only to find out that the electronic board/modules are fried too.

When you swapped to the IW60 were you able to use the existing remote thermostat?


See post #12
__________________
Tim
2022 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 24RDS
Reese Goosebox 20K
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #27
Dshemingway00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Davison
Posts: 5
I replaced my IW60RL with an IW60
The Suburban OD controller I does not turn on.
I check the power (and polarity) with a volt meter at the connector to the module board (12.4volts).
Any idea why suburban panel not lighting up?
Dshemingway00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #28
Dshemingway00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Davison
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshemingway00 View Post
I replaced my IW60RL with an IW60
The Suburban OD controller I does not turn on.
I check the power (and polarity) with a volt meter at the connector to the module board (12.4volts).
Any idea why suburban panel not lighting up?

UPDATE 10/10/23
Upon opening the side panel … NO fuses were installed on the new unit.
Bought two 5amp fuses and all working now.
Dshemingway00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:40 AM   #29
tallen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 133
Thumbs up On demand water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshemingway00 View Post
UPDATE 10/10/23
Upon opening the side panel … NO fuses were installed on the new unit.
Bought two 5amp fuses and all working now.
Glad it all worked out and the issue was resolved.


__________________
Tim
2022 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 24RDS
Reese Goosebox 20K
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:27 PM   #30
Alibaddy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Glencoe
Posts: 48
We have an IW60 which periodically gets the error code for failed ignition. We are in Florida and are connected to city water at a regulated 50 psi. When it fails, it won't light on the water pump either. If I turn off the battery power and the converter and then turn them back on, it works. We have the digital control also. Anyone have a solution? We love the heater.
__________________
Alan G.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3650RL
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:14 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 26,678
Alan,

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that once the water heater fails, it goes into "lockout" like the furnace does after a failed ignition. On the furnace, once in lockout, the thermostat must be "reset" before the furnace will function again. I'd suspect the same "safety lockout" is what's happening in your water heater.

In more sophisticated systems, along with the "3 failed attempts and lockout" there is also a "timer release". Our home furnace has both. After three ignition attempts, the system goes into a lockout for a specific time period. Then, to prevent "frozen houses when people are on vacation" there's also a timer that automatically resets the furnace so it can continue to attempt ignition sequences. On our furnace, that timer is set for 1 hour delays. So, after an ignition failure, the furnace goes into lockout, but in one hour, it resets and tries again....

Your water heater may have a timer in addition to the lockout, your owner's manual should describe the function. So, resetting it is the "quick way to remove the lockout" but it may also "release the lockout after a specific time, which is a safety delay, intended to allow any propane to graduallly vent from the burner assembly to prevent an explosion/fire.....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:40 AM   #32
Alibaddy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Glencoe
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Alan,

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that once the water heater fails, it goes into "lockout" like the furnace does after a failed ignition. On the furnace, once in lockout, the thermostat must be "reset" before the furnace will function again. I'd suspect the same "safety lockout" is what's happening in your water heater.

In more sophisticated systems, along with the "3 failed attempts and lockout" there is also a "timer release". Our home furnace has both. After three ignition attempts, the system goes into a lockout for a specific time period. Then, to prevent "frozen houses when people are on vacation" there's also a timer that automatically resets the furnace so it can continue to attempt ignition sequences. On our furnace, that timer is set for 1 hour delays. So, after an ignition failure, the furnace goes into lockout, but in one hour, it resets and tries again....

Your water heater may have a timer in addition to the lockout, your owner's manual should describe the function. So, resetting it is the "quick way to remove the lockout" but it may also "release the lockout after a specific time, which is a safety delay, intended to allow any propane to graduallly vent from the burner assembly to prevent an explosion/fire.....
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. The manual offers no help at all. I have been getting great support from my dealer who is actually offered to ship a replacement water heater to us in Florida from Canada. However when I do the reset, the heater will function perfectly for 10 or 11 days. Yesterday I did a reset it worked for about a minute and then it failed again but after a second reset it was fine. Thee tech at the dealership believes it is water flow but we have great pressure and volume here.
__________________
Alan G.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3650RL
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:10 AM   #33
ChuckS
Senior Member
 
ChuckS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Home, Idaho
Posts: 2,964
On the IW60 and IW60RL ( Alpine comes with RL version ) there are two ATC fuses located on the circuit board.

I would remove and reinsert BOTH fuses located on the WH circuit board and RESEAT the main harness plugs located on the board as well

Also there are two white wires ( one plug ) that send 12 vdc to the control panel.. Remove and reseat this plug as well

Any corrosion, etc on any of these connections and the two fuse board connections will cause intermittent issues like you are seeing..
__________________


2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.