Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Randy_K

Good tire information

I came across this article on TT tires. I have attended a seminar by the author at the Toronto RV show and got lots of good information.

http://www.rvlifemag-digital.com/rvl...010v39iss7#pg6

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Numbers624

Randy this is a very good article I may replacing my tires this year and have been researching what is the best way to go it seems tires and info about them are a hot button issue and everyone has a different opinion about it He says you can contact him by email but I couldn't find it do you happen to know where I might find It thanks

2011 F250 Super Duty Lariat
2008 Montana Mountaineer 305 RLT
Numbers624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
smiller

That article is nothing but another re-hash of all the unreliable and inconsistent arguments against ST tires, and leaves out a lot of the story. I hate to say it but even a typical tire thread on an RV forum provides more accurate information and a more balanced view.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers624 View Post
Randy this is a very good article I may replacing my tires this year and have been researching what is the best way to go it seems tires and info about them are a hot button issue and everyone has a different opinion about it He says you can contact him by email but I couldn't find it do you happen to know where I might find It thanks
http://www.canamrv.ca/

Andy is the Owner of Canam RV. They do testing of TT set ups and tires at a air strip the rent every year. I never bought from them but have been to several seminars.

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
I came across this article on TT tires. I have attended a seminar by the author at the Toronto RV show and got lots of good information.

http://www.rvlifemag-digital.com/rvl...010v39iss7#pg6

Randy

Sorry randy. Your reference is laced with inaccurate and unsafe information. There are too many errors.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
SkiSmuggs

I am not sure that just saying an article is inaccurate or has errors is helpful. The article opens with something we all know and that is the OE tires on our trailers are usually poor quality. It also suggests using LT tires which seems to be one of the main recommendations in any RV forum tire discussion. I do question replacing Load D with Load C, but it might be more helpful to say where the article goes wrong instead of just dismissing it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
smiller

It is true that manufacturers' sometimes fit substandard or inadequate tires (or perhaps equally likely that the tires are simply damaged by neglect prior to delivery) and that owners should be aware of this possibility, but that's where any accurate information ends. ST tires are not inherently problematic nor are LT tires a panacea. In fact it should be noted that ST tires are designed for trailer applications where an LT tire might not be (although some LT tires that have been approved by the manufacturer for trailer use, generally their commercial truck line, can be very good choices.) IOW, any tire can be good or bad for a particular application depending on how it is designed and manufactured and what its intended use might be, and 'ST' or 'LT' alone tells you nothing. The article includes a lot of inaccurate generalizations and seems to be just a collection of what the author has read (unvetted for accuracy) and not from his own expertise, as is typical for these types of articles. Look elsewhere for your information.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
fla-gypsy

A quality ST tire can work great in the right application. The key word is quality. The Chinese junk found on many trailers are a magnet for problems. The trash that came on my trailer began checking at about a year and by 18 months were about to crumble. After a little research I replaced them with Maxxis ST tires and I have been happy ever since. Many trailers, perhaps the majority, cannot accept LT tires due to size issues.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
Randy_K

It might be helpful to watch some of the towing tests that are done

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/

I will be going to the open house in march where they let people test drive a bunch of different vehicles and trailer to see the differences. IMHO its a good way to try things out for myself.

Randy

2013 Passport Elite 23RB
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
It might be helpful to watch some of the towing tests that are done

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/

I will be going to the open house in march where they let people test drive a bunch of different vehicles and trailer to see the differences. IMHO its a good way to try things out for myself.

Randy
Ok, I watched a number of the videos. So what? I guess I'm missing the point of watching the TV/trailer combinations in videos. What is learned by it? What data do they collect? Maybe I missed a link that offered outcome data?

Tom
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
SkyPiGG

This article says that you would probably not even notice a tire blowout on your TT in a tandem axle. Is that true??? I find that hard to believe.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPiGG View Post
This article says that you would probably not even notice a tire blowout on your TT in a tandem axle. Is that true??? I find that hard to believe.
At work our son has a 28' tandem axle work trailer that is shared amongst a few folks. One coworker had the trailer one week and between one gas stop and another lost a complete wheel assembly. When he pulled in for gas one side had only one tire. Other wheel had completely sheared off all 6 bolts. he had no clue he had lost a wheel. Interestingly the trailer weighs in at 8,000lbs + so one 225/75LRD ST tire is pretty overloaded in that condition, close to 4,000lbs on the tire. Trailer has a torsion axle. BTW the lost wheel position had had a flat (not a blowout, he caught it in time) a week or so earlier and the same guy was driving both times. We suspect he wasn't real careful about torquing and checking the lug nuts.

Folks that have had blowouts are another story. Every one I've heard of they new it immediately from the shaking and all the tire parts flying around tearing up the wheel wells.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPiGG View Post
Absolutely. I've had two blowouts (from a set of Carlisle tires, never again) and I was totally unaware of either. It was lucky that in both cases I was alerted by another motorist or I would have shortly lost both tires on one side. Now I have a TPMS system .

Sometimes you will hear or see a blowout, sometimes not, and it is quite common to not hear or detect it. Or a tire can leak down slowly and be effectively worthless due to loss of air and of course there's no way to detect that without a TPMS system. If one tire fails on a tandem axle then the other tire will be grossly overloaded and will soon fail as well, resulting in two failed tires on one side -- something I have never experienced and never want to. That is why a TPMS system is so important, especially for towed vehicles.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
At work our son has a 28' tandem axle work trailer that is shared amongst a few folks. One coworker had the trailer one week and between one gas stop and another lost a complete wheel assembly. When he pulled in for gas one side had only one tire. Other wheel had completely sheared off all 6 bolts. he had no clue he had lost a wheel. Interestingly the trailer weighs in at 8,000lbs + so one 225/75LRD ST tire is pretty overloaded in that condition, close to 4,000lbs on the tire. Trailer has a torsion axle. BTW the lost wheel position had had a flat (not a blowout, he caught it in time) a week or so earlier and the same guy was driving both times. We suspect he wasn't real careful about torquing and checking the lug nuts.

Folks that have had blowouts are another story. Every one I've heard of they new it immediately from the shaking and all the tire parts flying around tearing up the wheel wells.
I had a new set of tires and wheels put on an enclosed tandem axle car trailer and actually lost the tire and wheel. The trailer was loaded and I never felt anything. So I can believe that one could get a flat and not realize it until the tire gets too hot and comes flying apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I had a new set of tires and wheels put on an enclosed tandem axle car trailer and actually lost the tire and wheel. The trailer was loaded and I never felt anything. So I can believe that one could get a flat and not realize it until the tire gets too hot and comes flying apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had two slow leaks on one of my trailers (nail) that I caught before the tire was to lowto cause a failure and since have added a TPMS.

My opinion, and that all it is since I have no facts, is that a large number, if not the majority of "blowouts" aren't a normal blowout, but caused by a slow leak that is fast enough to loose significant pressure between stops to cause the tire to overheat and then fail catastrophically. IMHO on a tandem axle trailer one can't rely on feeling the effects of a slow leak and low tire like one can on a tow vehicle or single axle trailer.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote