Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
davidjsimons

Big Pine Key RV Resort

I left home just as I had planned on the morning of the 26th. I actually arrived in Jacksonville about a half a hour sooner than I had expected. The total time, with the usual fuel, food and bathroom stops was 10 1/2 hours. Pecan Park is a wonderful transient stop. The sites were big and had concrete pads. I awoke on the morning of the 27th and shoved off at 6:45am. I arrived at Big Pine RV Resort 9 1/2 hours later. The advice that I received on this forum, with regard to the SunPass, helped immensely. Once I had arrived my wife, who always takes care of the check in, proceeded to do just that. When she asked for her site information, she knew something was wrong. They had assigned us to site 902. She told the clerk that 902 was too small for our unit and that furthermore we had reserved site 427 on the waterfront. My wife was then told that they did not hold sites and that all of the waterfront lots were already taken and that we would have to go to site 917. Needless to say, we were not thrilled by this turn of events. When we drove down to site 917, it was already occupied but 918 was open. The occupant of 919 was on his lot backward and was hooked up to its service. So, I figured if I was going to have to take a lot that was not mine, it may as well be on the waterfront. I drove over to site 427, and it had been assigned, but 428 was still open. So, hello from site 428! I have not had a chance to get out yet and see anything, but this is one unorganized place. I hope now that I have that fiasco behind me that the rest of the trip can be relaxing. Overall drive time from Richmond, Virginia was twenty hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Keeper

David, I'm sorry to hear about the reservation problems you had. Did they send you a email confirmation for the site you reserved?

Anyway, remember to watch your speed in the Keys - lots of speed traps. Also make sure to visit this in Key West

and get a window decal that says "MILE 0 KEY WEST" - everything in the Keys is measured by mile markers.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy the weather.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
jsmith948

Here's a scenario for you to consider: The person in site 427 arrived with no reservation, or had reserved a less desirable spot. A crisp fifty changes hands (all in the spirit of the season!) and a waterfront site magically becomes available. I've seen it happen at hotels/resorts. I'd be willing to bet it happens at campgrounds. I would wait until it was time to check out and speak to the manager. Unless he has been cut in on the registration clerk's deal

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
mikell

Just yeaterday i was trying to make a reservation out West for next fall. Booked for the dates I wanted but the rest of the month was open. So having lots of time I changed the date and yes sirree it was now magically booked but my previous date was open??? I called and let them know what happened and they said they would make a reservation over the phone so I did it. An hour later my credit card was charged?? I called agin and tried to cancell but had to wait foe someone else to decide if I was worthy. So I called my CU and had them terminate the charge for FREE.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
davidjsimons

The campground is actually called Sunshine Key RV Resort and Marina. At any rate, I solved the problem for myself so all is well. I never went back to the office to tell them that I took 428 and have no intentions to either. I don't think that they have a clue as to who is where.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
davidjsimons

We stopped in to the front office today to let them know that they had not issued us a hang tag for our truck. The receptionist asked what our site number was and we just told her 428. She said no problem and issued the hang tag for 428. Problem solved.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Georgia Rambler

I like how you solved that problem lol. I would have done the same thing. Enjoy and safe travels!!!

P.S. I wish I was there!!!

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
davidjsimons

It is actually a nice place and I have very much enjoyed myself.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
fla-gypsy

Places that operate like that will never get my business. Thanks for the warning.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
davidjsimons

Besides the SNAFU at check in, I had a wonderful time. It was a nice campground and I will go there again. There is a nice pool, a marina with good size slips for trailerable boats, propane service and a fuel station for diesel fuel. In addition, the facility also had a well stocked store, not only with groceries and picnic items, but with supplies for your trailer as well, such as cords, adapters and sewer hoses and fittings. The park was clean, well kept and quiet at night. The staff was friendly and helpful in regards to other matters. I guess that I was also blessed with friendly neighbors, they even went so far as to make sure that my little boy had a coconut to take home with him. I am not the kind of person who gets mad over something and then can't get over it, and I am thankful for that. Once I was settled in and was over my check in experience, I must say again, I completely enjoyed my stay.

I earned my stripe.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
crash

Thanks for the info on your trip there ,We are from prince george va. and are planning a trip to the keys sometime in 2013 was suppose to go this new years but something came up and we only made it to myrtle beach for the new years.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
chris199

Am considering a trip to the Keys next Christmas but the 24 hrs+ drive is daunting. What was Myrtle Beach like over the holidays? Cold? I guess if we want sun and warmth..the Keys are the way to go.....

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote