Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Bushman512000

wet bolt and brass instaled

Got the Dexter up grade done to day...new the difference was better pull as if trailer was on air ride ....Nice ....Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
cjm

Not familiar with this.. give us "slower" ones the scoop
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Bushman512000

wet bolts

Sorry I thought every one new of the fail due to the stock spring set up on most trailers.I will explain My trailer is new to Me most mods are done when You first buy or so I think.Well mine a 2008 low travel miles but has plastic bushings in all spring eyes and the centre of the 2 springs has a unit called a equlizer also plastic bushings all none greeseable parts so I replaced My system with greeseable bolts (wet bolts)and brass bushings the equlizer has wet fittings also. I had a break down due to shackle wear, away from home at a cost of $750.00. Very lucky not to have let go on a highway but while backing in to a camp site. So I did My home work and now will replace the mickey mouse set up.Google DEXTER AXLE and You will see the system I replaced with Bushman
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Mighty Ming

Funny you post this. I was just under my trailer just checking things yesterday and found two of the shackle straps broken ...hence the leaf springs were resting against the trailer frame partly squeezing the gas line feed to all appliances. Holy smokes could have been ugly. As as a temp fix I bought new straps n bolts and fixed the broken side. Bushman I will do the upgrade as you did. Not hi jacking your thread. Just wanna show everyone how important it is to check things out. Here are some pics of the broken side and the good side. Was more trouble jacking n supporting the trailer than the replacing of the straps n bolts. Gas line should be ok for now. CJM here is what you look for! Bushman tks Gonna google Dexter axle now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
RdRmr

Bushman512000,

X2 on the Dexter system.
Installed their E-Z flex system with wet bolts on my 2011 291RLS this past spring after the Lippert Equa-Flex system failed due to cracking, many miles on it since. Not a sound and handles great. Also like the 1/2" thick shackle brackets that come with it. Pics in my profile. Happy Campin.....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Bushman512000

wow that propane line .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Funny you post this. I was just under my trailer just checking things yesterday and found two of the shackle straps broken ...hence the leaf springs were resting against the trailer frame partly squeezing the gas line feed to all appliances. Holy smokes could have been ugly. As as a temp fix I bought new straps n bolts and fixed the broken side. Bushman I will do the upgrade as you did. Not hi jacking your thread. Just wanna show everyone how important it is to check things out. Here are some pics of the broken side and the good side. Was more trouble jacking n supporting the trailer than the replacing of the straps n bolts. Gas line should be ok for now. CJM here is what you look for! Bushman tks Gonna google Dexter axle now.

That propane line could have went in to a fire ball any time.I see from Your pic a spring clip is off on left of pic.I think.Make sure there is no cracks or broken spring leafs look real close some are hard to see.Some springs are from china and crack after a few Years the bad Highways do it joint jump I call it .oil up old parts now easer to get off later...Thanks for the come back Made My Day I was glad to be of some help...John or Bush to You
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Bushman512000

Talking 1/2"of safety right on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRmr View Post
Bushman512000,

X2 on the Dexter system.
Installed their E-Z flex system with wet bolts on my 2011 291RLS this past spring after the Lippert Equa-Flex system failed due to cracking, many miles on it since. Not a sound and handles great. Also like the 1/2" thick shackle brackets that come with it. Pics in my profile. Happy Campin.....
Man that Ming was some lucky I would say .I had a break down backing in to a camp site $750.and lost 3 days...old shackels broken off the road thank God or fate and no one hurt I seen the ware on the plastic bushings what a pice of crap look like 12gage shot shells how the trailer industry gets to sell the crap is a wounder ...I spell bad sorry ...thanks for Your coments also Bushman jump in any time Ok
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
Mighty Ming

Yup got lucky on not having a major disaster.... Thank you Lord. Yesterday 11-5-12 I called Dexter direct and ordered the complete EZ-Flex system. Initially the Dexter Rep told me to search for a local distributor which should result in a better price. WRONG Dexter price was MUCH cheaper. Again I believe in helping out the local businesses but in my search the difference between them and Dexter was $75 - 100. It was a no brainier, I ordered from Dexter directly.
Again tks Bushman for your post regarding the Ez flex. Oh I checked my springs and they looked fine. Shot some knocker loose (penetrating oil) on all the bolts and letting it sit until its time to remove them.... Hopefully Thursday.

Go Padres!!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Bushman512000

Lose all for the bolts

Mingo; I had a operation so I paid to have My job done .2hours at $60.00per hr I can't do the work I used to some times I step down and get the check book out lol You becarefull its a big job. Bushman and keep Us posted on the out come...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
wtxdxer

I just ordered the E-Z Flex system for my new trailer. The best price I found is from Nick's Truck Parts - $130 + shipping. It worked out to be about $40 less than direct from Dexter by the time I paid sales tax to Dexter.

Since I'm going to have everything apart I decided to add the Never Fail Bushings. I believe these will give better service than the wet bolts and brass bushings that come with the E-Z Flex.

Alan
wtxdxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

I installed EZ Flex a few years ago. Here is the thread with photos. Hope this helps. I highly recommend them. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
KenBob

I installed the E-Z flex system on our Fuzion. Great upgrade on an "out of sight, out of mind" RV system until its too late.

A little tip:
Use the first bolt removed and grind the teeth off that are near the bolt head, install the new bushing on the bolt and use it to drive the old bushing out while driving the new bushing in. Super time saver!
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Bushman512000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxdxer View Post
I just ordered the E-Z Flex system for my new trailer. The best price I found is from Nick's Truck Parts - $130 + shipping. It worked out to be about $40 less than direct from Dexter by the time I paid sales tax to Dexter.

Since I'm going to have everything apart I decided to add the Never Fail Bushings. I believe these will give better service than the wet bolts and brass bushings that come with the E-Z Flex.

Alan
Alan never has any one said never about failing man made parts grease or oil is the blood of man made moveing parts.As was a big Boat said to be unsinkable where is it to-day yep You know...I worked with machines all My working life and nothing is Never Fail unless it never moves...Bushman...lol that is a ploy to make one buy I would like to see one steel and Oil Lite I would think and if so longer life yes but fail safe no..Oh did You press fit them?And grease them also? Be interested to know just how long they will last...Bushman
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Mighty Ming

Well today is Saturday and my Ez Flex has yet to arrive. Ordered it Monday via FedEx. Need to call Dexter on monday to see if it was sent. Hope it didnt get taken from my doorstep!!!

Go Padres!!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Ming View Post
Well today is Saturday and my Ez Flex has yet to arrive. Ordered it Monday via FedEx. Need to call Dexter on monday to see if it was sent. Hope it didnt get taken from my doorstep!!!

Most carriers are backed up because of Sandy. I'm sure that no one would steal a package from your doorstep. You will be glad you made this mod, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Mighty Ming

Tks Hank you're prolly right on Sandy. And yup looking forward to this mod.

Go Padres!!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Bushman512000

UPS, FEDEX,Snail mail

The work will begin soon I can hear Mingo chewing at the bit lol Bushman Been busy My self deer hunting got a 10.point opening day...last day to set the clock at 4:00 am thats great I am beat...lol Bushman
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
35mastr

Wow,Just stumbled onto this thread. How many years ?? And How many miles are you guys getting before you are having these shackle failures?? Is this mostly in snow climates where there is a lot of Salt,Humidity,Temp swings that get real cold. Them pics look pretty rusty...
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

The shackles, bolts, hangers and other suspension components are very susceptible to rapid wear. I replaced mine, not because of any failure, but because some of the parts had simply worn out after 2 years.

I decided to inspect the the bushings and found the flimsy nylon/plastic ones had almost worn through. The holes were oblong in shape rather than round and were becoming enlarged.

I see you have an '12 model but I would suspect that if you were to inspect these components after only a year, they would probably show excessive wear.

When new, they are just barely adequate and are of poor quality. I would suggest you do yourself a favour and replace these parts with something more substantial and safe like others before you have done.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
Bushman512000

Years old?

That is a hard number to come up with.Some trailers travel south and some travel north every summer.Weather may have a little to say but most are not used in winter except south.My failer was a 2003 Cedar Creek 33-1/2 foot heavy alot of lite ones have had failed parts also.My 2008 was used little but showed sighn of ware in the plastic bushings so I beat the real problem.Keep a eye on Your trailer and You may see or hear noises not there now.It will show up and that is a fact all the junk fails in time.The roads traveled make the time frame different rough country,highway,patched chuck hole....Bushman...