Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
pjhauk

Hitch alignment back up camera

Will be hitching by myself so it has been suggested to look into a camera; now which is good? Brands and hints will be welcomed.
pjhauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Halibutman214

Even if your not doing it by yourself a camera saves a lot of yelling sometimes. That said if you want a camera and "all" you want it for is backing up most of the cheap wireless cameras will work fine. Many complain about interferance and lines on the screen which you will more than likely get but they do the job. I have a VR3 that I think I paid less than $75 for. I put a velcro strip on the back of my truck and another on the back of the TT. When I'm traveling I take it off the truck and put it on the back of the TT. I lose the signal every so often and many times have lines on the screen but it's not like I'm going down the road looking at the screen. When I have it on the truck I have some of the same issues but it's never been so bad I couldn't back exactly where I needed to be. You can spend a heck of a lot more and eliminate some of these problems including getting one wired but that's your choice.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Javi

Never seen the need of one but I got friends that swear by them... I can pretty much backup and hitch with one get out and look.. two at most on a bad day...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
CampDestinations.com

There are other hitching alignment aids that you could try, such as those yellow magnetic wands - I think they run about $20-30 or so.

If you go the route of a camera and don't want a lot of hassle, check out the wireless units. Also, if you're like me and have some trouble with vision, get a screen large enough to see at a glance. You don't want to be staring at just the screen the whole time you are backing up and wondering if those black"blobs" are the hitch or shadows. Ask me how I know.

Tags
general, towing