Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
chris199

Hensley Arrow Update

There are several excellent options for a WDH. One may be more appropriate than another for a given set of circumstances. We are towing a Cougar 29REV with a 1/2 ton Tundra and wanted to have no regrets re:safety. Here's a brief update on the experience so far.....

Installation handled by our RV dealer...good job!

Was a challenge to hook up the first 6 to 8 times. Sometimes I could get it done one the 2nd or 3rd try. Worst experience: on the way back from Gatlinburg we stopped to spend the night in Wytheville, NC. KOA....QUICK in and out, right?

For whatever reason, it took me an hour and a half to hook up. I almost used the old Dom DeLuise line "you can't get there from here...." I had the hitch in the receiver a portion of the way....adjusted everything and nothing worked. Unfortunately....there was another guy at anothere site using me for entertainment that morning. After the first 15 tries the DW moved to a picnic table to read. Almost threw in the towel and decided to put the hitch in the receiver, adjust, and see I could back the truck into just the hitch. Geez.....aligned everything, put hitch back in truck, backed up and voila...DONE! Turns out that is the recommended approach...I just wasn't following the recommended process all along and had extraordinary luck I guess.

I now follow this process every time and hitching up has been pretty easy since.

Moral: read directions....follow directions. Hensley is not really a big deal to hitch up! No sway to date and have had some serious truck traffic on the hilly/windy Rt 81 in VA.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
volvosweetie

Yea, when all else fails read the directions. I do the same thing with other stuff I don't do hitches my husband perfers I leave it alone. We have never used any type of weight distributing hitch. My Dad use to. Our truck and camper has never felt sway I guess we are lucky. I am glad you had such good luck with your happy "accident" LOL. As for you entertaining another camper, well one day he will be someones entertainment. Hope all your future trips are carefree and problemless. Happy Camping. Safe travels.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
lightning79

So is the Hensley worth the extra money?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
chris199

I believe so IMHO. The way I look at it.....if I am towing with another hitch type and have a similar experience as others have had.....get passed by trucks going 70 or 75 mph, the trailer sways and crashes or I just lose control for period of time then I look back and think why didn't I spend the extra $1200 for a guaranteed no sway tow? I am spending over $60k for my truck and trailer....I am going to save $1200 and possibly regret it later when something is damaged, or worse, someone is hurt? NO!

Important note: some will try to tell you that the Hensley allows you to exceed towing capacities. May be true...I don't know...but I stay within towing limits with it.

Bottom line: I don't want to look back with regret or wonder....if only......

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning79 View Post
So is the Hensley worth the extra money?
YES!!! As someone who used an Equalizer on 3 trailers over 7 years, I was very skeptical of the Hensley until I actually tried it. Sway, truck suck, etc... all a non issue with the Hensley.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post

Turns out that is the recommended approach...I just wasn't following the recommended process all along and had extraordinary luck I guess.
Sounds like my first trip. In addition to following the recommended approach, I would also recommend greasing the stinger. It makes the whole process that much easier. Just be careful to not hit it with your shins. To solve THAT issue, i bought a stinger condom. Also known as a pool noodle connector. Let me know if you need one. I have an extra and live close by.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
cbarnes890

Yes, the Hensley Hitch is worth the money. We tow a Keystone Outback 279rb with a F-150 and have not had any sway, been up and down the east coast numerous trucks passing on both side and no sway, if I am not looking in the mirrors I do not notice the trucks until I see them out my window. Easy to hook up, however I recommend the Hensley tonque jack adapter that allow you to move the hitch receiver left or right, this saves alot of time. But, the Hensley is worth the investment.
cbarnes890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
richf28

If you look back through some of my past postings you will see I had a lot of sway problems and tried a lot of different things to control it. I was reluctant in spending any more money especially the price of of a Hensley. In the end I took Hensley up on their trial offer this past spring. It actually did the job. I can now tow more at ease. The Hensley is worth the investment.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
thewhitehat

Exclamation Own it but don't have it yet

I'm new to this Forum. As can be seen from my signature, I own a Hensley Arrow . . . well, sort of. I purchased it last friday, but it is in transit and will arrive after the holiday rush. So I don't have any personal experience with one, but I have done much research on this and I'm convinced I won't regret spending the money either. Especially since our last outing was nearly disastrous.

I left the campground in a good mood and was in a foul mood when I got home, due to the wind and swaying when a big truck passed me (about every 30 seconds). Going south on I-35 toward Austin, I had to carefully maneuver between the cement construction barriers on the edge of the right lane and the big 18-wheelers flying by on the left. Going slower didn't help. I am NOT going to go through this terrifying ordeal every time I go camping.
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
The Sod Father

Welcome to team orange!

Installation is pretty simple. Just take your time and read the directions. And if all else fails, post a question here and one of us will gladly help.

Enjoy your new Christmas present!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
squaredave

Congrats on the purchase. You'll be amazed at the difference. I found that proper brake controller adjustment is a little more important with the Hensley than it was with the regular setups. My own preference is to set it so the trailer brakes have enough juice to stop the trailer plus a little bit.

Did I mention you'll be amazed at the difference?
squaredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
chartrand

So I'm about to purchase my first TT this March. My TV is a 2011 Dodge Durango. Working with dealer to purchase the new Keystone Premier 22rbpr (4650lbs). Seems to be a good match for my vehicle. Is the Hensley overkill for my setup? I'm pretty short and have the wide stance axels, so with a good DW hitch like the Equalizer 4 point hitch, I'm thinking I should be fine? Any thoughts?

Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
richf28

I am a firm believer that a Hensley will help all applications after owning one myself. I do have to caution though. Make sure you have your unit loaded properly, the tongue weight correct and proper tire inflation all correct. If they're not it won't matter what your pulling with it won't help.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Avofarmer66

New 5er need to sell Propride

New Montana doesn't work with my 1 yr. old Propride P3 1400 and interest?

Moderator's Note -
If you are selling your ProPride, why not place a post in the For Sale/Wanted section of our forum?
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
eartha

Smile Pro Pride

What kind of problems did you have with the Pro Pride?
Happy Trails
eartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
thewhitehat

RE: Selling ProPride

Judging from the title of his post, He's got a new 5th wheel trailer and the ProPride hitch doesn't work with 5th wheel trailers, so he's just selling it. I doubt he had any real trouble with it.
wife, son, new dog, me

Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
thewhitehat

I got it - installing it this weekend

BTW, I did get my Hensley hitch, and I'm installing it this weekend. I started this afternoon,but didn't get to finish, because I lost daylight, and it's a little quirky due to my trailer being a V-nose and the faux diamond plate trim covers much of the A-frame. I'll probably finish it tomorrow morning, and then test it out.
wife, son, new dog, me

Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
LeeMedic

IBall Cam

I have a Hensley and used it for a year now. We camp a lot during the winter months in Florida.

I have never had a problem on the road with sway.

There have been some times where it took me some work getting the hitch lined up just perfect.

Here are some recommendations.

Chalk wheels on both sides.

Use the IBall Cam http://www.iballhitchcam.com

The IBall Cam has made a big difference. I place the Cam on my bumper and that gives me a birds eye view. To help with the visual, I painted the front of the received on the trailer white. I looks like a white square when using the IBall Cam.

If you have your RV chocked really well, don't be afraid to give her a little bump when backing. I then have my wife lock the Hensley into place. I have found setting the parking brake will still allow my TV to rock forward a tad.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
chris199

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
BTW, I did get my Hensley hitch, and I'm installing it this weekend. I started this afternoon,but didn't get to finish, because I lost daylight, and it's a little quirky due to my trailer being a V-nose and the faux diamond plate trim covers much of the A-frame. I'll probably finish it tomorrow morning, and then test it out.

We have the Hensley on the front of our V nose as well. Fits just fine.....works very well!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
thewhitehat

Yes, I wasn't sure the standard brackets were going to fit, but thankfully, they did. I had to push in the plating slightly to seat the bracket where it needed to go, and I ended up cutting a small notch on the folded-under edge of the plating to make room for one of the U-bolts, but it fit and looks nice. I also had to borrow a right-angle drill to drill the hole for the shear bolts, but it did come out the way I wanted. A short road test down the freeway a few miles, and I did not experience any of the sway that I'd had before. I'm going to do another test before I take it camping in March.
wife, son, new dog, me