Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Mike2593

TT rear camera ??

Has anyone ever setup a rear camera on a travel trailer. I would like to have one that I could view while driving. It would have to have the mirror option to reverse the view vertically.

I am looking at the master lock wireless unit and the swift wireless unit.
Mike2593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
EFD51

TT camera

I had the swift hitch camera and it worked awesome. Sure took the aggravation out of hooking camper up with my wife because I could do it by myself. I would highly recommend it. I just bought fifth wheel and sold my camera to my buddy.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
bartletts

A lot of the wireless units don't have enough range to communicate between the back of the trailer and the driver's seat reliably. I have the iBall unit and it usually does ok unless I drive by a police radar or similar RF source, but the battery doesn't really last long enough to use it for more than 2 hours. I just use it for backing up and hitching.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
richf28

I have a Pyle unit. Though it is a wired unit it works great. Has the ability to have 2 cameras. I installed one on the back of both the tv and camper.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
happytrails

TT Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
I have a Pyle unit. Though it is a wired unit it works great. Has the ability to have 2 cameras. I installed one on the back of both the tv and camper.
If you don't mind my asking, and I know it's been a bit since you posted, but what was it like installing the camera unit on the back of your RV? Did you run the cabling under the belly from front to back? I have opened up the belly just recently and I think the manufacturers put those on there as more of a convenience to them and a selling point to buyers ("Polar Package") because their wiring job, if you can call it that, is all over the place. Anyway, I was more curious how you ran the wire to the camera; through the wall or on the outside of the camper?
happytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I installed one on the back of my 303tg. I used some 1x1 steel, welded a plate. To mount the camera and bolted it to the back of the spare tire mount. Its a wired unit so no interference, stays on as long as I'm driving. Its great not only for backing up but also to check for traffic before changing lanes. Comes in handy when our daughter follows us with their camper to see if they made it through a stoplight etc.
Mine has a microphone built in so when backing up the DW doesn't have to use a radio or yell 50+ feet for me to hear her.
I can post photos of it if you want.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
richf28

Yes, mine is a hard wired unit. I installed the small camera under my rear window of the camper. I ran the power line to the taillight for power since I always tow with lights on. Ground to frame and feed line underneath the length of the camper zip tying where I could. Haven't had any trouble since I put it in.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
Hensley Hitch
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
AnnaK

We just brought our 26' Passport home and are researching rear view cameras. Those of you who have one, would you please post the make/model and a link, if available? Photos would be great, too!
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We wanted to monitor our boat behind the fifth wheel so we bought this system:

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...5th-wheel.html

It is $300, kind of pricey, but much cheaper than the equivalent system from CW. Theirs lists for $749 and is essentially the same.

We are very happy with it, it's been on the fifth wheel for 3 years now and works just like advertised. One issue we did have was where to install a 7" monitor in the truck where it is "out of the way" yet visible when in use. I wound up installing velcro on the back of the existing rear view mirror and I just velcro the rear view monitor over the truck mirror when in use and remove it when we are not towing.

Over the time we've had it, I've grown used to having it not only when the boat is behind us, but also when we are towing without the boat. It's really nice to see what's directly behind us, something we can't do with mirrors. An added feature is the microphone/audio. No longer can my DW mumble things under her breath. I can hear everything she says while watching her in "full living color"

Hmmmmm maybe I should disconnect the monitor when she is back there?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
richf28

This is the one I installed. I had to buy the extra camera since it only comes with one.

http://www.caraudiodeals.com/pyle-plcm105-p-5510.html

and

Pyle PLCM38FRV Universal Mount Optional Front View & Rear View B camera

I found this company great to work with. I have purchased 3 of the units. Myself and two friends.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
Hensley Hitch
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
AnnaK

Thanks a lot for the links. It'll give me something to look through on the weekend.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote