Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
librty02

Lookn at a New TT

I have a 2011 Ford Ecoboost Crew Cab with 1450 lbs of payload. Im looking at the Bullet 281BHS as it is the perfect floorplan for my wife daughter and Myself. Do you guys think this would be a good setup for me? The TT unloaded is 5091 lbs I never ever take water along as I fill up when i get there or have full hookups. I would say on average carry 1000lbs of cargo in the TT and just me the wifey and DD in the tow vehicle maybe the family dog at times too. Thanks!!!
librty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
richf28

My TV is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed. I tow a Hornet 28rls. My trailer has about a hundred lbs more tongue weight and ways about 900 lbs. more dry than yours and about a foot longer. I had a Reese Dual Cam with 1500 lb. sway bars. The engine pulls like a freight train even through the mountains in West Virginia and tranny temp never increased over 215 degrees. The downside is, I have had to install LT tires, airbags and last must not lease a Hensley Hitch because of the sway I had. If your loading up your tanks, thats weight. If your doing short weekend trips on weekends you'll probably manage ok but if your doing distance or windy conditions you'll be fighting it.
This is my experience, don't want to discourage anyone. I love the setup I have now. The decision is yours but feel free to ask me any other questions you have or IM me if you need to.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
My TV is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed. I tow a Hornet 28rls. My trailer has about a hundred lbs more tongue weight and ways about 900 lbs. more dry than yours and about a foot longer. I had a Reese Dual Cam with 1500 lb. sway bars. The engine pulls like a freight train even through the mountains in West Virginia and tranny temp never increased over 215 degrees. The downside is, I have had to install LT tires, airbags and last must not lease a Hensley Hitch because of the sway I had. If your loading up your tanks, thats weight. If your doing short weekend trips on weekends you'll probably manage ok but if your doing distance or windy conditions you'll be fighting it.
This is my experience, don't want to discourage anyone. I love the setup I have now. The decision is yours but feel free to ask me any other questions you have or IM me if you need to.
Good to know as the F-150 Ecoboost was a possible replacement option for my Expedition. I'm surprised that you had to install air bags. Not surprised that you need a Hensley. PM me if you have Hensley questions.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
librty02

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
Rich I think your a little off on your weights you have there
I looked on keystones website for your trailer weights and its specs like this
Shipping Weight 6904
Carrying Capacity 2826
Hitch 930
Length 32' 2"
Width 8'
Height 11' 5
Fresh Water 45
Waste Water 38
Gray Water 38

The trailer Im looking at is this
Shipping Weight 5091
Carrying Capacity 2424
Hitch 515
Length 31' 8
Width 8'
Height 10' 3
Fresh Water 41
Waste Water 30
Gray Water 30

Im looking at being 1000 lbs under your shipping weight when Im fully loaded ready to camp. Its no wonder you needed the airbags. Your trailer weighs almost 2000lbs more than the one Im looking at at dry weight.
librty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
richf28

Woops, missed a 1 in my number. I should proof read before I send. But must admit I dont recall where I got the hitch weight number at though. Oh well, age does that I guess.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
EcoboostKev

Your truck will have no trouble pulling that trailer. Im pulling a 2012 Outback
dry weight- 6500lbs
carrying capacity- 1700lbs
hitch-850lbs
My truck is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with max tow pkg and 157" wheel base and i have no problems towing my trailer. I was concerned about my payload with the heavy tongue weight on my trailer so this past weekend i loaded up the truck and camper ready to camp with the family and hit my local truck stop with a certified Cat scale. My trucks GVWR is 7700 and with the trailer attached, kids bikes, fishing gear and the 4 of us in the truck it was 7520lbs. The GCWR i have is 17,100 and the truck and trailer weighed in at 14720lbs. Now my mind is set at ease..I don't see any reason for you to worry about that trailer with a dry weight of 5100lbs.. Good luck, Kevin
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote