Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
mapleman3

Champion 2000w inverter Gen

Just bought a new one on ebay....looking forward to using it....

I'm not getting my hopes up but would be nice if it ran the microwave....otherwise just happy we can charge the batts and have some power when needed and when allowed!

Jim and Charlene

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
2011 keystone

I have read 100's of reviews about the champion 4500w and the only thing any one had bad to say about it was that it is louder than the honda EU series. not that, that is a fair because the honda is a inverter, A very good inverter but a generator is always going to be louder. Good luck and keep us up to date on the champion.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
f6bits

Since yours is an inverter, I expect it to be quiet when not under a big load. My Yamaha 2000 runs my microwave just fine as long as it’s the only major appliance turned on.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
rob in windsor

I purchased one last year from Costco. Started up right out of the box after adding fluids. runs pretty quiet. It ran well until I plugged the 5th wheel into it. If the battery is low in the RV, as soon as I plug in to the generator, the breaker on the generator trips. So I would make sure there was absolutely nothing on in the RV and try it again, and again, pop goes the breaker. I would literally start and stop that thing for over an hour until the breaker wouldn't trip. (shutting it down resets the breaker). So when it does finally stay charging, the wife turns on coffee maker, or toaster, or microwave, and pop goes the breaker. We would have to take the appliance to the generator to use it. This made dry camping no fun in the least.
So I took the RV in for servicing and had them look at the electrical, and they informed me that the generator didn't put out enough amps (13 from this one) to run the converter.
So now I am in the market for a 3000 watt generator that will fulfill my needs and use the 2000 watt as bribe.

Good luck, and hope you have better luck with it than I did.
rob in windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob in windsor View Post
I purchased one last year from Costco. Started up right out of the box after adding fluids. runs pretty quiet. It ran well until I plugged the 5th wheel into it. If the battery is low in the RV, as soon as I plug in to the generator, the breaker on the generator trips. So I would make sure there was absolutely nothing on in the RV and try it again, and again, pop goes the breaker. I would literally start and stop that thing for over an hour until the breaker wouldn't trip. (shutting it down resets the breaker). So when it does finally stay charging, the wife turns on coffee maker, or toaster, or microwave, and pop goes the breaker. We would have to take the appliance to the generator to use it. This made dry camping no fun in the least.
So I took the RV in for servicing and had them look at the electrical, and they informed me that the generator didn't put out enough amps (13 from this one) to run the converter.
So now I am in the market for a 3000 watt generator that will fulfill my needs and use the 2000 watt as bribe.

Yamaha 2800i will fit your needs. And @ 65 lbs, it's a lot more manageable than most 3000 watts out there. And they only have a 200 watt advantage.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
mapleman3

Hopefully it will do my tt better than your 5vr...the 5vr has much more power needs and proba ly a bigger converter.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
raytronx

I have 2 champion 2000w inverter type generators with the parallel cable.
With both I can run my 13500 btu AC. With one it will charge my batteries and can run the microwave. The only time I've had issues is during high humidity the AC can put them into overload. I've read maybe an additional starting capacitor in the compressor circuit may help but haven't tried yet.

If your using to charge up the batteries make sure the fridge and hot water heater are running on gas only so their elements don't draw juice. My converter has Input rating of 105-130 VAC, 60 Hz, 12.0 amps (950 watt) and I charge 2 6volt golf cart batteries and one 12 volt.

I'm pretty happy with them, not too loud and a decent price.
Was around 1200 bucks total from Costco in Canada for the 2 and the paralell cable. A single Honda 2000w goes for 1500 up there.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
heavyj

dont forget that your water heater may have a switch on it under the service panel for AC power. When turned on this switch will heat water using AC power - *and it will do this regardless of what the switch setting is on your control panel* (as has been the case in multiple campers I've had anyways)

Since I usually dry camp I almost always leave this switch in the OFF position that way I use LP only for hot water and I draw a lot less amps from my 2000w invertor.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
mapleman3

My hw heater doesn't have the electric option...propane only. Don't have to worry I guess...thanks though

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
mapleman3

Another question.....where do you all plug in?
Do you just use the 30amp cable with an adaprmter to the regular outlet on the gen so it goes in thru the converter as if it was plugged into shore power?

I ask this because on the breakers in the trailer one is marked "gen" and it goes to the outside outlet on the curb side.....I wasn't sure if that means generator or general like the general outlets..as in not specific...I don't know.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Railcop345

Parallel cable

If you buy a second Champion 2000, I have a cable for you. It's yours for the postage.
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Halibutman214

I have a Coleman Pulse 1850 that will run my microwave just fine. I would hope a 2000 will.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
christopherglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob in windsor View Post

Maybe a small 10-20 amp battery charger to start the morning, then switch to the converter after 20 or 30 minutes?
You should be able to trip the converter breaker when using another appliance, then turn it back on when done. Make sire the fridge is on propane, and not auto as well.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote