Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
sandy43

New Alpine question?

I have a new Alpine 3200rl. I read previously, reference the heat pump, which I'm told I have. Was told their were no air filters for this system. How can this be? Where does all the dust and air particles go once it's sucked up through those two vents in the back on the ceiling? Something at some time has to be cleaned, or I would think so. Really puzzled on this issue.

2nd question. Their are two small step lights that only work when the hall light is turned on. This doesn't make much since, if the hall light is on you don't need the step lights. How do you make the step lights work independent from other lights?

Other than these two issues, this RV has been a Jewel. First 5ver I've had and no problems, so far. Thanks
sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
DocData757

You are correct about the pointless lights on the steps.

I don't know if you have the same setup I have with the heat pump but there is a piece of filter material in the 2 intake louvres in the ceiling on each side of where the heat pump is located on the roof.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
geo

Sandy43 -

Though ours is a different model, we too do not have filters on our heat pump. The return louvers are screwed into ceiling with no good way to modify for filters. I've looked! What we found was some filter material (from Amazon) that attached to the vents with magnets covered with the hook side of Velcro strips. These work great! And the filter material is the same color as the ceiling so you don't notice it.

We have a separate switch for the stair lights, so can't help there

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
sandy43

I guess I'm going to have to re-wire for the step light's to a separate switch.

As for the non-filtered heat pump, your idea about placing a filter over the ceiling vents is a great idea.

Thanks guys for the quick response.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Alpinecummin

I have 2011 3640, and questioned the dealer were the air filters were located. They did not have answer so I called Keystone Customer Service and was told there are no air filters on the AC/HP. Putting air filters on the outside of the duct sounds good, but I'm not sure how it would look.

I also have a separate switch for the stair lights.

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
geo

I don't have a picture and can't really get one until next weekend. But I can say that the filter matches close enough to the ceiling texture that you just don't really notice it.

I just checked on Amazon and see that the AllerTech Vent Guard is currently unavailable. However, it appears that the AllerTech Vent Guard is available from Allergy Asthma Technology (http://www.allergyasthmatech.com/SP/...t_Guard/69_347). What you get is a roll of filter material 16"x60" that you cut to fit the vent. The installation strips are small, reusable magnets with attached the Velcro hook material.

I measured the vent, cut the AllerTech Vent Guard filter to fit, attached the magnet via Velcro hooks to the vent, then just held it up to the vent. The magnets snapped in place. I tugged at the vent material just a little to position a couple of magnets, but otherwise it seems to be working quite well.

I believe this filter material is targeted to those people who suffer from asthma and allergies. The filter comes in a roll that one cuts to fit and attaches to any metal vent surface. One could use it traveling (ie, not in an RV), in an office, in certain rooms at home, and of course in an RV. Personally, it think the manufacturer should realize that there are many RVers out there who would like to know about his product! Boost sales, etc.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
sandy43

I talked to Keystone today. They said their is a filter inside of the ceiling vents. Maybe she got confused about which A/C, I'll just have to look and take care of it as mentioned above.

Reference the step lights, they said all new 5ver's with a step light works in conjunction with another interior light switch. Doesn't make since to me because some of you have a separate switch and some don't. Anyhow, the lady in the tech dept. was extremely nice and willing to give me any info I wanted. My first experience with Keystone was good. Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
geo

Sandy43 -

Just to clarify, yes in our Alpine, the second A/C in the bedroom has a foam filter located within the unit behind the intake grill. However, the heat pump at the rear of the Alpine, the intake ducts have no filter. Or had no filter until I put one on the outside.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
mikell

I have a 2010 and have filters behind the intakes in the living room. The heat pump is a wonderful setup. On auto it keeps the temp where you set it. In the winter it works down to about 28 then automatically switches to the furnace. It has a defrost mode that might sound strange when running but works great.
I work in product testing and design not heat pumps but I have been paying close attention and have even done some temp logging to see whats going on. I can pretty much answer any questions except the dang thermostat programming
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
geo

I think what we are dealing with here, again, is one of those "who is on today's shift" issues. In my case, I know some Alpine 3640RL units have filters in the rear return air vents. I have seen other Alpine models at RV shows with and without return air vent filters. It's pretty easy to spot when you are looking for them. If I remove my magnet attached air filters and look up at the vent (with or without a flashlight) I can see past the vent louvers and at the vent pipe elbow metal. I even removed one of the vent covers last year and investigated how I could put filtered vents on the return. Unless there is filter material stuck up into the return air plenum, I have no air filter on the heat pump. When I washed the roof last spring, I removed the cover of the heat pump just to investigate what was there. I can definitely say, didn't see anyway to mount a filter up top!

So, again there is no Keystone oversight as to what "minor" parts are being placed on which model. I would bet my white return air vent covers actually belong to another Keystone model. Yes, it does make one wonder. Wonder, hmm, who has my filter vents . . . And yes, we are very happy with our Alpine. Look at the time and mods I've put into it already!

Whether the heat pump has filters or not seems to be along the same lines of the "schematic" on electrical and plumbing - just depends on who is assigned that task on that day what gets done and how it is routed.

Sandy43 - I believe you when you say you have no heat pump filters because I don't either. And if you still go to the RV shows, I bet if you look up at the return air vents in the Alpine, you will find "some with and some without".

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Alpinecummin

Geo - thanks for the info on the filter material, I ordered a roll this evening with the magnetic strips. We'll give it try and see how it works!

1977 Avon
2003 Jayco Designer 32FKS
2011 Alpine 3640RL
2007 Dodge 3500
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinecummin View Post
Geo - thanks for the info on the filter material, I ordered a roll this evening with the magnetic strips. We'll give it try and see how it works!
Alpinecummin - You are quite welcome! I think you will find it will actually make the ceiling vent blend with the ceiling. It's really not that much rocket science. But I would like to know your thoughts after you receive and try it. I will say that we are happy with the filter material.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch