Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
rjsurfer

Handicap camping rant....

Well we just returned from 10 days @ Hunting Island State Park and had a great time our only complaint was the misuse of the handicap camp sites.

It can be a hard campground to get reservations for unless of course you possess a handicap sticker. Our site faced the two brand new handicap sites that must of cost the state $20 thousand plus each to set up and not once during our stay did we ever see a handicapped person utilize those sites. Every party that stayed there (always someone in the sites) during our stay seemed as mobile as my wife and I. Granted I couldn't see inside the campers but I'd guarantee the majority of them didn't include a handicapped individual in their party.

I guess the other side of it is, what do you do go each RV and check for a handicapped person?

The campground hosts just shook their heads when I mentioned it to them. You would think that there would be a way of better qualifying for one of those spots?

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
michael

Handicap Site.

If they have a handicap parking permit then its there business how they walk and talk,
My dad said to me one day that he too judged people that didnt look disabled,

But that he would never judge anyone again because you dont know there issue,
He said this to me when he recieved his own handicap card, He said that know one could tell he was sick because he walked normal and talked normal,

He passed away about one year later from cancer, i hope this helps you understand,

I guess you just cant tell when everyone looks normal.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
antiqfreq

We don't utilize the handicap sites and never have.

If someday I have a sticker and need to then I certainly will.

We were at Hunting Island a few weeks ago and park was 75% empty.

But the sites nearest the water and all handicap sites were full - I didn't notice who was and wasn't handicapped though.

The park rangers should check this as well as the campground hosts as part of their duties whenever possible and especially if there IS a complaint or a question about it. A knock on the door is no big deal......the parties in the site should not be offended and should be glad they are diligently doing their jobs.

Jo

just MHO
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

Not every one that is 'handicapped' "Looks" handicapped.

I have COPD, I require oxygen (down to 10% capacity), not 24/7 but I generally use it when in doors and always at night when sleeping, I also have sever sleep apnea
I don't limp around on a crutchs or utilize a cane, have a chair with wheels to skoot around in. I just move a bit (not much), slower than most, don't run, stop to catch my breath when I need to, have both arms and hands.
I collect Social Security Disability due to the fact that there is NO cure for COPD. That in turn qualifies me for a Handicapped plates/plackard. When I check-in to any place, CG or otherwise, I'll look around and see if my needs can be met in a 'normal' spot or if a HC spot is better. I prefer to not use them, allowing, I hope, for someone that requires it more than I can have it availiable.
Yes, there are those that take advantage of the plackards. I don't care for them either... it's just extreamly difficult to weed them out.
Each State has it's own regulations for the issue of the plackards. Check with your State' Motor Vehical Division (or whatever they call it in your State), they will gladly provide you with all of the requirements.
Hopefully, should we ever meet, you won't see me as handicapped...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
michael

Handicap Site.

I guess there is misuse going on all over,

They could check that the person that holds the card is present when they check in,

And should be checked by the park ranger, As far as the camp host checking i think that should be left up to the persons carrying the badge.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4
V10 Engine, axle 4:10 ratio
8ft box SRW

10x10 Screen room.

Let It Happen Campin.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
jq1031

After my hip replacement surgery I walked like I had no handicap, however I carried a dozen staples around for two weeks during the healing process. Yes, I had a temporary HC sticker & used it every chance I got.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
f6bits

The reservation systems I’ve seen that support handicap sites state that you need state-issued proof. That’d be either handicap plates or the mirror/dashboard placard. It’s up to the campsite to verify this upon arrival.

I’m wondering if the typical handicap parking spot law applies in these cases and the campers could be cited. I think it’s at least a $250 fine.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
hankaye

Howdy All;

Enforcement of the handicapped/diabled laws is sketchy at best.
The fines are not the same in all States. When it comes to PRIVATE CG's,
enforcment is on the management. Although the American's with Disabilities Act does require X number of slots for parking in a public parking lot, I'm not sure about the requirements for Private enterprises such as CG's.
Reckon someone that is more up to date on this might weigh in on this...

I just remember that anytime I point a finger at someone I have at least 3 pointing at me.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
rjsurfer

OP here, all great replies...gives me some food for thought.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
scott1k

This topic tends to get me worked up. As stated by prior posts, you can't always judge based on looks. My 22 year old niece fought a brave 5 year battle with cancer before finally losing to the disease. She did her best to not look sick. Her family had a handicap card and more than once was approached by someone challenging their use of it. I myself am a fairly fit 40 something. When I was in my early 40s out of nowhere I started getting extreme pain in my joints. I had a hip replacement at 42 and am facing a double knee replacement in the near future. I don't use a cane, a wheel chair or a walker. I do have a slight limp that comes and goes depending on how I feel. I have utilized handicapped camping spots and have been told off by more than one fellow camper that I don't deserve to use that spot because I'm not in a wheelchair. My response is I would gladly trade them my metal hip, weeks of recovery, lost work, lost time playing with my kids, and my upcoming surgeries if they would like. That usually shuts the idiots up.
scott1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
campingcpl

As like scott1k this topic tends to make my blood boil! I have a son that is handicapable and he doesn't have a problem with getting around so we never felt the need to get a tag. I had grandparents and some other realitives that have some bad joint problems and have/had a hard time walking and they use/used the tags. There were times that I would take them to the stores and I would have the mirror tag but personally I would drop them off at the door and then park in a regular parking spot and walk in and then bring the car up to the door to get them. I have seen so many people take advantage of the parking tags that's enough to tick me off. If you are capable of walking without a problem leave the spots to the people that really need the close access! I am not downing or judging any of you that have posted that said you have tags and use them because personally I don't know your sitiuation. But when I park in a parking lot and see a person that is younger then me pull into a handicap spot and then out pace me making it into the store it tends me to believe they really don't need that handicap spot!

Here is a situation that really ticked me off and shows where the younger society is going. I happen to be at a local department store awhile back and was making my way from the store when there was a group of younger people in front of me. When coming to the door to leave there was an elderly lady trying to get her husband that was in a wheel chair out of the store and was strugling with the doors. The group of young kids walked around her and went out the doors next to them with out even asking if she needed some help and then gave her the look of discusse. I proceeded to open and hold the door for her and her husband which then they said I was an angel for helping them. I offered to help them with getting into the car where I noticed those same kids had parked in the hadicaped spot which forced this couple to park farther down the row in a none handicaped spot. I guess the point I am trying to make is that sociaty is becoming more and more a "ME FIRST ATTITUDE". What ever happen to manors and being polite? I see the younger generations being the worst for this and it makes me sick and really ticks me off that people have to act that way.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
hankaye

campingcpl, Howdy;

re: your question, "What ever happen to manors and being polite? I see the younger generations being the worst for this and it makes me sick and really ticks me off that people have to act that way."

When both parents are at work, and the schools are what serve as the "social interface and instructional platform' I think it would be fair for the parents to require the instruction on manners and some basic etiquete be done there as well. If "it takes a village to raise a child" then that same the Village should also teach it manners and what constitutes 'good' behavior and accept the responsiability too.

I'm done now ...

hankaye

Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Just for my benefit, would someone tell me what a Handicap Campsite has that the other don't. Everywhere I go I see wheelchair ramps and hand rails for access to all of the buildings and that's in accordance with the ADA, but I have never seen a campsite marked as Handicap.. Just curious.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Just for my benefit, would someone tell me what a Handicap Campsite has that the other don't. Everywhere I go I see wheelchair ramps and hand rails for access to all of the buildings and that's in accordance with the ADA, but I have never seen a campsite marked as Handicap.. Just curious.
At the NYS DEC parks that we visit, the handicap sites are located directly across from the bathroom and have concrete pads and walkways to facilitate wheel chair or walker usage. Also the path to the bathroom is a concrete walk which is not the norm. There are also some designated handicap sites that have gravel instead of sand; not sure what the purpose of that might be.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Bob:
In our area, these sites are marked as being reserved for those with Handicaps. The sites are flat, close to the washrooms, have paved or concrete areas around the picnic table and a paved path leading to and from the RV. The picnic table is constructed at the proper level for wheelchair accessibility and usually has one end of the table top that is extended outwards. You shouldn't see much gravel around the site itself -- it will be mostly paved or cement.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Bob Landry

Come to think of it, I did see a site at Lake Catherine State Park marked handicap, but I didn't think much about it. There were as you say, paved or boarded ramps to the restroom/showers and was close. I only saw the one, there may be others. Thanks for the clarification.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
CincyGus

One other point I'll make as it was something I learned when asking a ranger at a SP here in Ohio. The site we were on was directly across from a Handicap site. We showed up on Thursday for a long holiday weekend, planning on leaving Monday at noon. The site remained open and available until on Saturday, a group of college age folks came in. 2 cars, 3 guys and 3 gals. They all helped setup their tents and unload the cars and were real nice folks. One had a guitar and was playing acoustic old Rock and Roll, some of which I grew up on. Enjoyed camping next to them and having the live performances.

On my way out I ran into a ranger and asked about the handicap site how that worked as it didn't appear any of the kids were handicapped although they could have been and just not obvious visually. He stated that the sites are for those with proof of a disability and held until noon on Saturday.If they are not reserved or taken in person by then, they are open to a first come first serve rather than have them go unused.

I'm not sure if other states or NP's have similar rules or policies, but thats what I was told by the ranger.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
charltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
One other point I'll make as it was something I learned when asking a ranger at a SP here in Ohio. The site we were on was directly across from a Handicap site. We showed up on Thursday for a long holiday weekend, planning on leaving Monday at noon. The site remained open and available until on Saturday, a group of college age folks came in. 2 cars, 3 guys and 3 gals. They all helped setup their tents and unload the cars and were real nice folks. One had a guitar and was playing acoustic old Rock and Roll, some of which I grew up on. Enjoyed camping next to them and having the live performances.

On my way out I ran into a ranger and asked about the handicap site how that worked as it didn't appear any of the kids were handicapped although they could have been and just not obvious visually. He stated that the sites are for those with proof of a disability and held until noon on Saturday.If they are not reserved or taken in person by then, they are open to a first come first serve rather than have them go unused.

I'm not sure if other states or NP's have similar rules or policies, but thats what I was told by the ranger.
This is the same info we have been told when camping in Oregon and Washington. Though Ranger did tell us they can be used prior to that but you may be required to move if someone showing a placard arrives and needs the spot.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

I am on my soap box. My wife is a middle school spanish/french teacher in a filthy rich town in westchecter county New york. she and i come from military backround so no discustion of ediquite is needed. she has fourty two min. to get 29 kids to sit down shut up and learn. these kids have no respect for anyone and their world extends only as far as the screen on tier cell phone. she takes 10to 15 min to teach them respect for each other. some kids mostly the japanesse students get it the rest go home tell thier parents that their teacher was sent them to the office for misbehaving. then the lawyers get involved. sorry to disagrees with you but it is the parents job to teach there kids maners and right from wrong the school teachers schould help reinforce it. I know alot of people think teachers are underworked and over paid. that is true if they teach a core class have 80 kinds total 1 prep and 4 clases. specials like my wife teach 1 60 kids 6 classes and 4 preps she is at school from 7:30 am till 6m. so parents teach your kids respect and the teens that were in the handycap spot i would have blocked them in till the cops came . i have done. it. i too have a handicap sticker but i only use it when i am having trouble breathing other than that i can walk fine. and yep i would never take a handy cap campsitefor my condition. thanks for letting me vent
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I am on my soap box. My wife is a middle school spanish/french teacher in a filthy rich town in westchecter county New york. she and i come from military backround so no discustion of ediquite is needed. she has fourty two min. to get 29 kids to sit down shut up and learn. these kids have no respect for anyone and their world extends only as far as the screen on tier cell phone. she takes 10to 15 min to teach them respect for each other. some kids mostly the japanesse students get it the rest go home tell thier parents that their teacher was sent them to the office for misbehaving. then the lawyers get involved. sorry to disagrees with you but it is the parents job to teach there kids maners and right from wrong the school teachers schould help reinforce it. I know alot of people think teachers are underworked and over paid. that is true if they teach a core class have 80 kinds total 1 prep and 4 clases. specials like my wife teach 1 60 kids 6 classes and 4 preps she is at school from 7:30 am till 6m. so parents teach your kids respect and the teens that were in the handycap spot i would have blocked them in till the cops came . i have done. it. i too have a handicap sticker but i only use it when i am having trouble breathing other than that i can walk fine. and yep i would never take a handy cap campsitefor my condition. thanks for letting me vent
I totaly agree with you that it should be the parents responsiblity to teach manors and respect to their kids and not the schools. You send your kids to school to learn reading, writing, arithmetic and things to help them in a trade. Manors and respect should be taught and learned at home, but when the parents fail to have manors and respect then guess the kids wont either.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote