Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
alrothel

New Member from Florida

Hello everyone.

I live in southwest Florida and just took delivery of a 2021 Keystone Fuzion 424. What a nice setup. Love the layout. We just got back from our first camping/RV'ing "local" trip and what a pleasure. Really like the auto level feature and the two patio decks. So much easier than the old RV cranking down scissor jacks. LOL.

I was completely setup in 30 minutes, awesome.

I'm towing it with my 2019 F-250 6.7 turbo diesel. Other than 7 miles to the gallon it towed great. Nice smooth ride. Looking forward to another trip scheduled for over new years.
alrothel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
SouthTXRVer

That is a nice rig!!! Congrats!!!
SouthTXRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Sarge2

Welcome from Michigan.... enjoy the rig and the site....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Badbart56

Nice Toy Hauler, but you don't have enough truck. Your hitch weight alone
is 3525. What's your truck's payload capacity? The most it can be is 4270, but that's with a gas engine.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
is 3525. What's your truck's payload capacity? The most it can be is 4270, but that's with a gas engine.
Welcome!
But I'd have to agree with Barbart, not enough truck!
A 44' long 19k lb GVWR rv on a 3/4 ton is extremely overloaded. That rv is 1 ton diesel dually minimum.
Yes! Your truck will tow it with ease, especially the diesel version, but every weight limit of that truck WILL be exceeded.
Can't believe the dealer let you off the lot? Silly me, yes I can believe it, they made a sale which is their ONLY concern.
Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but as weight police just trying to inform you of your unsafe towing situation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
alrothel

Thanks. Has all the room I need for the wife and my toys.
Happy Holidays
Old 12-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
alrothel

The RV ran all of the numbers before I purchased the RV. I am about 80% of max payload fully loaded. It's is also a 5th wheel setup with a 6.7 turbo diesel. Same motor is in the 350 & 450. No squat in the truck, ride smooth and feels very comfortable. I thought so too but the dealer checked all of the number.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
alrothel

I will need to look into it further. Thanks for all the response.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
travelin texans

Not to be a smart a##, but I wouldn't believe the guy that's trying to sell you something, especially a rv dealer. Their main objective is to sell you something, if they actually checked numbers it was probably from literature that is a one size fits all that is not true for YOUR truck or YOUR rv.
Check all the numbers on your driver's door post, the yellow/white tag has the payload number for THAT truck, with that empty rv pin weight you'll most likely exceed on a 3/4 ton truck. You'll also find a white manufacturer tag with the axle & gross weights listed for THAT truck, none of these numbers should be exceeded to be towing safely & legally. Pay NO attention to any stated max tow weight of YOUR truck, you will exceed most of the weights before you could tow that heavy of a rv.
There's also a manufacturer tag on the driver side front corner of YOUR rv with the GVWR of THAT rv. Pay NO attention to any dry rv weights that's a useless number to you, you will NEVER tow it anywhere near that weight.
With these numbers you can determine your trucks capabilities yourself with that rv then know for sure.
For most any 5th wheel use 20-25% of the posted GVWR of YOUR rv as the pin weight (23% is a good average), regardless if you say your load lightly, subtract that weight + 100lbs for the hitch from the payload posted on YOUR truck along with the weight of everyone/everything in/on YOUR truck that didn't come from the factory, if you have a positive number your good to go, if a negative you're overloaded by that much.
You'll notice I've emphasized YOUR throughout this post, that's because not all trucks have the same capabilities, those numbers posted on your truck are for YOUR truck, your neighbors identical truck will have different numbers, the same goes for YOUR rv.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I truly feel you're about to bite off more than you have truck for, unfortunately you're not the 1st & won't be the last to believe a rv dealer that didn't have a clue.....or care.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
alrothel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
BadBart56
Thank you sir!!! I took your comments to me and wanted to find out for myself. The dealer salesperson either didn't know what to look for or like you and others have said... just wanted a sale.
Well like you said, I was seriously overloaded. Over 2000 lbs in payload and 6000 lbs in Gross Combine Weight and that was using Dry Weight Numbers.
So I ran to the nearest Ford Dealer and traded my F250 for a New F350 Dually. Lucky enough they had a few on the lot. The only dealer in my area that had them. I guess dually trucks are scarce. Now I have the right truck to safely pull that rig all over the USA. I am within all of the necessary ratings with plenty of room to spare for all of the water, fuel, beer, equipment we will need to carry in the RV as well as all of the passengers in the truck.
In addition the GM at the RV dealer agreed with me as well and helped me with a few grand towards the purchase of the new truck. They also offer to take the hitch out and re-install it in the new truck. Gave me some store credit to use for additional things i need. They also split the cost of adding slide topper awnings on all the slideouts. I guess I have to thank you all for your expert guidance.
THANK FOR KEEPING ME ON THE ROAD SAFE
Al
Old 12-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
alrothel

Travelin Texan - Great explanation!!!! I now fully understand what it all means.
As you can see in my previous post, I bought a new F350 dually. A regular F350 didnt cover the weight I needed so I jumped up to a DRW.
Thank you sir!!!
Al
Old 12-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrothel View Post
Travelin Texan - Great explanation!!!! I now fully understand what it all means.
As you can see in my previous post, I bought a new F350 dually. A regular F350 didnt cover the weight I needed so I jumped up to a DRW.
Thank you sir!!!
Al

Al, thanks for the feedback and update. Lots of folks don't want to hear about weights and get upset or ignore the data. Thank you for listening and then taking action to keep yourself safe along with making sure you enjoy your new RV to the fullest.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Thank you sir!!!
Al
Your welcome!
As the other Danny said most get PO'd when the weight police point out their lack of tow vehicle for the rv they've chosen usually due to lack of or misinformation from their dealer whom they thought were trustworthy.
Really appreciate it when folks take to heart the advice given by those that have been there done that.
And THANK YOU! For the feedback.
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #15
Badbart56

Quote:
BadBart56
Thank you sir!!! I took your comments to me and wanted to find out for myself. The dealer salesperson either didn't know what to look for or like you and others have said... just wanted a sale.
Well like you said, I was seriously overloaded. Over 2000 lbs in payload and 6000 lbs in Gross Combine Weight and that was using Dry Weight Numbers.
So I ran to the nearest Ford Dealer and traded my F250 for a New F350 Dually. Lucky enough they had a few on the lot. The only dealer in my area that had them. I guess dually trucks are scarce. Now I have the right truck to safely pull that rig all over the USA. I am within all of the necessary ratings with plenty of room to spare for all of the water, fuel, beer, equipment we will need to carry in the RV as well as all of the passengers in the truck.
In addition the GM at the RV dealer agreed with me as well and helped me with a few grand towards the purchase of the new truck. They also offer to take the hitch out and re-install it in the new truck. Gave me some store credit to use for additional things i need. They also split the cost of adding slide topper awnings on all the slideouts. I guess I have to thank you all for your expert guidance.
Al
Glad it all worked out and the dealer(s) were willing to help you out of an unhealthy situation. Many aren't willing to do that. Also happy that you understood our concerns. It's really all about safety, for ALL of us. Merry Christmas, and enjoy that new rig!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
formyfelinebabies

Alrothel

I’m impressed! You are one of the only posters I have read on here that didn’t take the advice as criticism but as it was intended, in your best interest...

Congratulations on your new rolling home and new truck!!! You are an inspiration!! If more people were like you the world wouldn’t be he hot mess it is today.

You listened, educated yourself, corrected the situation for the safety of not just yourself but all of us AND held the dealer accountable and received restitution. BRAVO! BRAVO!
formyfelinebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
BadBart56
Al
Good for you in getting your RV dealer involved, and good for them in trying to make things right for you. Although, that GM for the RV dealer knew he could have been in big trouble for his company misinforming you about TV weights and capacity. He could be held liable for any damages in case of an accident.
Now, to know your “real” weights and capacity, take your rig to a cat scale fully loaded as you would normally travel. Weigh your truck by itself with full fuel tanks. Weigh the truck by itself, with no one in it. This will allow you to get your weights for front and rear axles, and to calculate your loaded curb weight, which will be heavier than your weights on your door sticker. Then weigh your truck and RV together and you can calculate your “loaded” weights, pin weight and loaded axle weights for truck and trailer . This is good to know so you know how much real reserve weight capacity you have for both truck and trailer. Its amazing how fast you can put weight on both. One thing a lot of us do is only carry a minimum amount of water in your fresh water tank when traveling. Why burn fuel hauling around 450 pounds of water( fresh water tank and 12 gal hot water tank) that you really don’t need ? Just need enough water to get you to the next overnight spot, unless there is no water available at your next stop. 1 gal.=8lbs. Knowing your “real loaded weights” will give you peace of mind when you load up for a big trip. If in doubt you can always roll over the scales as you head out. Safe travels!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #18
SummitPond

Welcome from the NE corner of the state. Many happy and safe travels to you and your family.

Eventually someone will suggest you look into getting an Energy Management System or equivalent. These are not surge suppressors, although they do have this capability as one of their functions, but they do much more. It's cheap insurance to protect your rig's electronic components. Ours has saved our bacon at least two times.

Search this site for EMS; there's a wealth of information available.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags