Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
Equineknitter

Aluminum Wheels

Please bear with me, as you'll soon see that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've read a lot of posts on this forum about his subject, and I'm learning so much, but I still don't understand a lot. We have a 2021 Outback 221UMD. We want to get new tires immediately and when I read the owners manual, several pages are dedicated to Wheel Nut Torque/Lug Nut torquing. Add some pretty strong language, saying that if you don't have the right torque wrench and check the lugs often enough, it could cause loss of life. That makes me wonder if aluminum wheels are actually safe or could I replace the wheels with steel and get new Carlisle tires. My concern is that the aluminum wheels could crack if a curb or pothole gets hit.
As I said, I'm completely out of my area of knowledge here. Do you all think that the wheels that came with the TT are safe enough and I would be ok with just getting the better load rated tires.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Equineknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
LewisB

Your aluminum wheels should be just fine (provided they are the ones that came on your trailer). If you change tire sizes and or load ratings, make sure what you choose will be compatible with your current wheels (width, max pressure, etc.) and suspension system. Generally speaking, changing to tires with a higher load rating may be a good idea; changing tire size may lead to problems with suspension travel and clearance. Also know that if you plan to use a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), you may need steel rather than rubber valve stems.

I'd recommend you provide more information to the forum along with a picture and the specifications (make, size, etc.) of your current tires. Lots of folks here that would be glad to help but will need more specific information.

Good luck!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Equineknitter

Specs

Thank you, Lewis B. These are the tire specs- Trailer King RST
ST-205-75R14 105-101M 65 PSI Load D Max 2040# Max Load Dual 1820
8 ply Rating

Here is what is on the inside of the wheel, which makes no sense at all to me:
Dexter 3.5 KPRI-FF SEC-FF
4.4 KPRI-GG Sec GG
10X2 1/4 36.19

I know that we can't keep these tires, but aren't sure that the load rating of new tires can be with these wheels.

Thanks for any info................
Old 09-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Personally I agree with dumping the Trailer Kings. I also agree that the OE aluminum wheels will be fine.

Since it is a 2021 the tires should fall within the new RVIA standards providing a 10% cushion in the load range of the tires. IMO a LRD tire on the 221UMD should be adequate. That also means your wheels will be adequate if replacing with the same load range. I've not looked into all brands available in that size but I believe Carlisle's are and that is what I would put on there (Radial HD) as I've used them and had great luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:03 AM   #5
david.johnson.758737

I just put Goodyear Endurance tires in the same size on our 1800BH, with new aluminum wheels properly rated for load range D tires. If you bump up to the 215/75r14 size, it will fit the same wheels and wells just fine, but you get a little extra margin on the load carrying capacity. The aluminum wheels aren't the weak link in your setup.
david.johnson.758737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equineknitter View Post
Thank you, Lewis B. These are the tire specs- Trailer King RST
ST-205-75R14 105-101M 65 PSI Load D Max 2040# Max Load Dual 1820
8 ply Rating

Here is what is on the inside of the wheel, which makes no sense at all to me:
Dexter 3.5 KPRI-FF SEC-FF
4.4 KPRI-GG Sec GG
10X2 1/4 36.19

I know that we can't keep these tires, but aren't sure that the load rating of new tires can be with these wheels.

Thanks for any info................
Lots of ST tires had bad reputations, especially before the RVIA load capacity reserve recommendation took place.

Your original equipment tires are at their maximum load capacity for that designated size tire. To change designated size without Keystone approval or recommendation for an optional size is a misapplication. The consequences for denial of warranty coverages needs to be discussed with a Keystone Rep.

Note: Designated size is ST205/75R14, any brand.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #7
Equineknitter

Thanks so much for all the information! I think I've got it worked out that we're going to get the same size Carlisle tires, using the same wheels, but in load range E.
Will that work? We aren't planning on increasing size, just brand and load range.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the information! I think I've got it worked out that we're going to get the same size Carlisle tires, using the same wheels, but in load range E.
Will that work? We aren't planning on increasing size, just brand and load range.

Have you found a load range E tire in that tire size? I'm not familiar with 14" tires but thinking (back of my mind) that the D is the top (unless something has changed from yesteryear...or my memory).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #9
david.johnson.758737

Quote:
Load range E tires don't come in that size. And if they did, the pressures would be upwards of 90 psi and exceed the capacity of either a steel or aluminum rim designed for load range D tires. In my view, a 215/75r14 load range D tire of a more trusted brand such as Carlisle or the Goodyear Endurance will be your best bet.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
david.johnson.758737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Lots of ST tires had bad reputations, especially before the RVIA load capacity reserve recommendation took place.

Your original equipment tires are at their maximum load capacity for that designated size tire. To change designated size without Keystone approval or recommendation for an optional size is a misapplication. The consequences for denial of warranty coverages needs to be discussed with a Keystone Rep.

Note: Designated size is ST205/75R14, any brand.
Normally I would completely agree. However in this case, I believe a 215 series tire is acceptable without approval as long as the rim is rated for the additional weight, as they use the same width rim. As an example, Keystone states that the proper tire size for my trailer is 205/75r14, but it came equipped from the factory with 215/75r14 tires on it. I asked the Keystone dealer about it and their opinion was that the 215 load range D tire is a better choice for 14" applications than the 205 because of the slightly higher margin... as long as the wheel is rated for the slightly higher weight. I paid close attention to this when I purchased new aluminum rims and tires, as many of the aluminum rims are rated for only 1900 lbs. Mine are rated for 2200.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.johnson.758737 View Post
Normally I would completely agree. However in this case, I believe a 215 series tire is acceptable without approval as long as the rim is rated for the additional weight, as they use the same width rim. As an example, Keystone states that the proper tire size for my trailer is 205/75r14, but it came equipped from the factory with 215/75r14 tires on it. I asked the Keystone dealer about it and their opinion was that the 215 load range D tire is a better choice for 14" applications than the 205 because of the slightly higher margin... as long as the wheel is rated for the slightly higher weight. I paid close attention to this when I purchased new aluminum rims and tires, as many of the aluminum rims are rated for only 1900 lbs. Mine are rated for 2200.
The answer is on the vehicle certification label. Word of mouth carries little or no weight with regulators. An approval to use a plus sized tire (something larger than what is on the certification label) must have been offered as an option for that year, model and series trailer.

The rules for OE tire size is very specific and says OE tires MUST be of the same designated size as those identified on the vehicle certification label at the time of first sale.

This is why there is so much controversy with RV trailer replacement tires. There is no standard vehicle manufacturer approved lists for replacements like in the automotive industry. For instance; a consumer takes his pick-up truck fitted with OE passenger tires to a tire retailer and asks to change to LT tires. No problem, there is already a vehicle manufacturer approval in the retailer's data base for wheel and tire sizes to change to.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
david.johnson.758737

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The answer is on the vehicle certification label. Word of mouth carries little or no weight with regulators. An approval to use a plus sized tire (something larger than what is on the certification label) must have been offered as an option for that year, model and series trailer.

The rules for OE tire size is very specific and says OE tires MUST be of the same designated size as those identified on the vehicle certification label at the time of first sale.

This is why there is so much controversy with RV trailer replacement tires. There is no standard vehicle manufacturer approved lists for replacements like in the automotive industry. For instance; a consumer takes his pick-up truck fitted with OE passenger tires to a tire retailer and asks to change to LT tires. No problem, there is already a vehicle manufacturer approval in the retailer's data base for wheel and tire sizes to change to.
Very helpful insights, thank you. Just checked and my label says 215/75r14, which conflicts with the specs on the Keystone site. So if I understand you right, even though the 205 series was also spec'd for the trailer, I must use what's on the label, yes?

I see you're an A&P IA. I just fly 'em, but I always do it within the regs. One of the things I have been grateful for in aviation is the ability to have my local A&P IA approve owner-produced parts that aren't available from any PMA suppliers any more, as long as they meet the same or better specs than the originals. I have a good relationship with a local retired master machinist who does a marvelous job when needed, and a seasoned, detail-oriented A&P IA who does the approval and installation work.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:
Very helpful insights, thank you. Just checked and my label says 215/75r14, which conflicts with the specs on the Keystone site. So if I understand you right, even though the 205 series was also spec'd for the trailer, I must use what's on the label, yes?
When it comes to wheels and tires, the vehicle certification label supersedes spec sheets/brochure information. So, your correct tire size is ST215/75R14. Load range is not a part of a tire's size. There are more than one provided on many designated sizes so the proper load capacity can be selected for fitment to the RV trailer's axle requirements.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Bigtruck0102

Quote:
I think that is the best idea. They do make 205/75R14 load range E in that size. You do not have to run maximum inflation on tires. You can properly run a little less air pressure to get there proper weight caring capacity. There are air to load rating charts online. The trick is to not exceed the rim capacity. So you can inflater to maximum rim carrying capacity.
Bigtruck0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #15
david.johnson.758737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruck0102 View Post
I think that is the best idea. They do make 205/75R14 load range E in that size. You do not have to run maximum inflation on tires. You can properly run a little less air pressure to get there proper weight caring capacity. There are air to load rating charts online. The trick is to not exceed the rim capacity. So you can inflater to maximum rim carrying capacity.
Where do you find them? Neither etrailer.com, discount tire, or tire rack carry any such animal.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-186481.html
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
danimal

it may be hard to find load range E for a 14" rim. Regarding lug nuts, they really only need to be torqued once then you are good to go. Some will differ, but in 40 years of trailer towing I've never lost a tire. After having your tires replaced on your car, do you ever return for a re-torque after the initial installation? I don't and never will.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtruck0102 View Post

Bigtruck0102, I have had 15" rims on my last several trailers and went up to LRE tires on all (Carlisle Radial Trail HD) from load range D that came on the camper originally and have never had a rim blow up from inflating to 80 PSI. Don't see any reason to go up a load range if you don't inflate to the pressure that gives you maximum weight. I also would not try to adjust the pressure for any carrying capacity as tires just aren't rated to be adjustable. I have never seen an "air to load rating" chart that didn't specify full PSI value for a given tire for ST tires.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
it may be hard to find load range E for a 14" rim. Regarding lug nuts, they really only need to be torqued once then you are good to go. Some will differ, but in 40 years of trailer towing I've never lost a tire. After having your tires replaced on your car, do you ever return for a re-torque after the initial installation? I don't and never will.

I think there are re-torque safety labels on some or most campers but I would retorque on a new to me camper at least once as you don't know if the wheels have been off and not torqued properly.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #19
Bigtruck0102

Mistaken

Quote:
Where do you find them? Neither etrailer.com, discount tire, or tire rack carry any such animal.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-186481.html
Hi David,
I'm sorry, I do this for a living you would think it's have noticed that when I looked them up I actually was looking up 15". You are correct there is not a 14" in load range E.
Bigtruck0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #20
NH_Bulldog

I think the tire selection part has been well-dicussed. The aluminum wheel part has also been settled.

Going back to the original post, there appears to be a concern over the lug nuts, torque and proper procedures. Understand that these wheels are lug-centric as opposed to hub centric. This means that unlike a motor vehicle, the wheel is centered by the wheel lugs, not the axle hub. This means that wheels have to be tightened specifically according to the instructions. Generally it is finger tight all around, followed by several more rounds of incremental torque increases, then after a certain number of travel miles, check everything again.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote