Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
MyOwnMechanic25

Stock Brake Controller - Adequate or Not?

My truck, a 2010 GMC 2500 crew cab diesel, has a brake controller, and the "towing mode" option with the diesel brake feature. eemed to work well on my last trailer, although it was a pop-up. Gonna be quite the upgrade to our new 2012 Fuzion 302. Do you think the stock brake controller is adequate?
MyOwnMechanic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
cumminsdad08

welcome to the fourm. i had an 07 chevy 2500 with the built in brake controller, and it worked fine, MOST of the time. every now and again i would lose power to the brakes and have to stop and un plug and re plug in the trailer. took it in under warrenty several times and they replaced it once, and it only failed one time after that, but i only drove the truck for 3.5 years. the guy driving it now, bypassed it and installed an aftermarket one to save the headach's.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Steve and Joyce

I have a 2011 Chevy 2500 HD and I really like the Integrated Brake Controller. No longer banging my knee on the after market controller. Seems so far to work as well as the high priced aftermarket controllers
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L/373
Steve and Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
X-Treme

I have a 2011 and frequent the diesel engine forums. From all the reading I've done over there, the stock brake controller, with all the integration of all the other controllers, etc, is about the best thing you can use to control the brakes on your trailer.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

As a Ford owner, I can't speak specifically to Chevrolet or GM components, but rather would second the previous comments. I feel certain that competetion being what it is in the auto industry, all the manufacturers offer about the same features.

On Ford, the trailer brake controller is coupled with the anti-skid, roll stability and traction control computer functions in the truck. Additionally, the truck offers trailer sway control through those functions. It actually uses the engine power, truck brakes and trailer brakes to dampen trailer sway. That's something no after-market controller offers.

If I were a betting man, I'd have to say that GM offers very much the same type of interface with the tow vehicle electronic safety functions. So, I'd suggest that in all the major auto manufacturers, the factory trailer brake controller would win "hands down"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

i do remember one thing that was a pain with my 07, was it would switch to the brake gain meter everytime you would hit the brakes or leaver. might not be and issue for the avarage person, but a huge pain when you are trying to watch the miles for your next turn. off of writen directions. was nice to have a flush mounted controler, but i found it a pain to have it on the left side, being that is usally steer with that arm. but if you are asking if the controller would be adiquate(?) to get the job done, i would think so. i really only had personal problems with it, well other then the fact that it had an original faulty issues.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote