Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Deeds

Should I increase tire pressure with wd hitch?

I'm curious on everyone's thoughts and opinions about increasing psi while towing with my weight distribution hitch on? I'm used to towing without wd and drive a class b truck grossing 55k lbs and see alot of issues with sidewalls getting hot and blowing tires when underinflated, but started thinking about how darn rough the ride is when I air up with my tt... am i a fool for increasing pressure? Still learning the whole wd setup so input is greatly appreciated
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Are you towing a TT with a class B truck or towing a trailer with something else and wondering? Specifics really help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Deeds

Sorry no I drive a 2000 f350 cc srw 7.3, I drive a class b truck for work...when I tow with my f350 pulling equipment trailers I always air up to 70 to 80 psi I just am unsure weather or not I should be airing up with weight distribution or not? Wd is fastway e2 trunnion
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I air up the rear when towing. Experiment with psi and find what works best. With the current TT 65 psi seems fine, no soft side walls, no rear sway from under inflated tires. I am running 60 psi empty and no low psi lights come on. Past 1 ton I ran lower, 50-55 rear.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
major bumm

I had the same thoughts as you. Here is what I found out with a set of older Hercules tires. (they came with the truck when purchased) When hitched with a WD, the rear truck tires were sagging a lot. The Hercules tires were perhaps not designed with a strong enough sidewall. No LT markings, but claimed a load rating of E. So, I increased the psi in all four tires to 42 from 33. The TT was set at 65psi, no changes there.

The ride was firm and felt planted. I was very comfortable with it all. What I found out over time was that the tires were overinflated and it predictably wore out the center of the tires within a short time.

Was ready for a new set anyway. The set I bought are BFG K02's. Load rating D. Current psi is at 35. Last time I towed, I made no changes to tire psi. The sidewalls are much stronger and did not appear to overly sag. Ride was excellent. My bad, I had too much weight in the front half of the TT. The TT and I need to lose a little weight.

JMHO
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch