Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #41
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dave, I run the 6.4 and 3.73. I start looking as soon as the needle sits square on 1/2 unless I know the road. I have hit situations where I've been well under a 1/4 by the time a found a station that would accommodate our rig. Once I passed a lonely little station in the middle of MS thinking there would be something soon; I finally found a station when the truck said I had 60 miles to empty. I don't like being that intense...and you have a 4.10!

I pulled into a station for diesel with 8 miles to go. Bought the auxiliary tank after that trip. That tank plus 48 main I get along well.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #42
Knights300ml

Sourdough or Danny not sure what you prefer just curious about your truck with the 3.73, the 6.4 I actually like plenty of power for my needs as we may drag camper out once a month maybe twice on a good one and most trips are within couple hours and we squeeze in a big one once a year hence the question, curious about your mileage when towing I知 doubting there痴 much difference in that between the gearing I知 guessing depending on terrain 9 or 10 average?
2008 ST1300
2015 VFR800
Knights300ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, I will avg. in the 9s. I once made a trip trying to use 93 octane and it did seem to increase the mileage maybe 1-1.5mpg and really seemed to help the power but the cost was prohibitive to me for no more than I was getting. I am going to buy a 1 ton (someday when I find one) with the same engine and the 4.10. I've owned a 4.10 before, and like you, I like the increased "power" from the ratio change, It has a tiny impact on mileage but not enough to even think about IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #44
Knights300ml

Agreed on that if we towed a ton I would have leaned towards the diesel just couldn’t justify it with added maintenance costs and this works fine and has enough payload to haul the bike in the bed as well as drag the wagon, plus I knew going 3/4 ton with a low gear I wasn’t getting a Prius, thanks again and for the site tons of knowledge on here and it’s good to mix it up with like minded folk, well done and safe travels.
2008 ST1300
2015 VFR800
Knights300ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 AM   #45
Big1

We went to Las Vegas from Washington State we try to keep it about 400 to 500 miles but the first day we try to go between 500 to 600 miles. Needless to say that is a long drive but I love driving.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #46
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Wow - 600 mile days. Guess I could see that if still working, but those days are long gone. I shoot for 250 per day (max 300). Not in a hurry now that I知 retired. DW drives half the time, so it makes for easy days. Don稚 have to pull chocks too early in the morning and are in camp for happy hour. Also do not like one night stops, so I plan on two nights min.
Dido now that we are retired no rush 350 would be a lot and stay at least two days and relax and enjoy the area. We been from ct to cal twice one year we did 22000 miles but it took us 5 months. If you got time take if makes the hole experience much more enjoyable
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #47
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights300ml View Post
Hello all, I know everyone tows at their own pace as I do I max out around 65 on highways regardless of posted limits and me and the better half are going on our longest so far and looking for input on daily mileage before cutting off, I知 thinking 600 mile days will be long with gas/food stops and I知 not big on night driving just curious about some of you more experienced long haulers what your average days are and if my goals are to lofty to actually be parked for the night with a full belly by dark lol.
I plan on 200 miles but we are full time so are not in a hurry. I once did a 16 hour drive (not towing). I arrived at the 200 miles based on what many others have said. That's 4 hours at 50mph. I get fuel after unhooking at the new campground so no long stops during that 4 hours, just a quick 15 minute break when changing drivers at the 2 hour mark. If you are going to drive at 65 make sure your trailer tires are rated for that (it's a letter code you can look up on the internet) and keep that inflated to the pressure stated on the tires. Better still is a TPMS that has pressure and temperature.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #48
Border Boy

I 'm also a member of the Iron Butt Assoc. , but that was on a motorcycle in 2004! When we were working we had to do 500+ days to get to family reunions, etc. and back to work. But now being retired I don't care how long it takes me! We generally cruise around 65 mph give or take a couple, wherever the fuel mileage shows best. I use RV Trip Wizard to plan out every detail long before we hit the road (half the fun of a long trip) and then just adapt to weather we run into, and other things. With that program I can set rings at 250,300,and 350 miles to get an idea of where it will put us. Then click on a button to see all the campgrounds in that area, and adjust the daily miles to what we like.
Border Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #49
goodellj

We usually set 300 miles as the goal, with the exact mileage ultimately determined by the location of campgrounds. In the northeast and around cities I like to take off a few miles due the wear and tear on the driver due to traffic and stress. On long straight smooth low-traffic interstate stretches I can do some extra miles with no worries. I am 62 and my wife doesn't drive when we pull the trailer. We are often traveling between CT and TX where our sons live, or heading to AZ for the winter, so these are long hauls and I also like to take a day off every 3-4 days.

For speed I max out at 65, but it would have to be excellent conditions in every way (low traffic, smooth road, straight and level). Around a big city with traffic I might do 50.

If you think this travel schedule is too tame, just remember that this was supposed to fun!
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #50
duh1

Had our 30 ft row behind for almost ten years conservatively about 80,000 miles on it. Most trips involve a 2000 mile run to utah/colorado. Then stay for a couple months with shorter runs to different camping places. If we do 350 miles a day i am happy, once did 500 and was hard don't drive at night unless forest is burning or the zombies are hanging in the bumper. After about three days of driving would like to pause for a day but typically dont. Try to stop between 3 and five. Rushing is not good. Life is too short be safe. Just turned 69 and it does takes its tole. I have no problem with 70-75 on good interstates , big Chevy 2500 diesel is a dream tow vehicle. You really have to stay focused and it does wear on you.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #51
ranch.manager

The last three trips I did not turn off the tow vehicle until we arrived at our destination. We eat lunch while driving. When we arrive we averaged 57 mph. I normally try not to drive more than 250 miles in a day. At that point it痴 no longer fun. Three summers ago We drove from North Florida to Wyoming and Montana. Our daily mileage was a bit aggressive. If it were not for the fact that mid trip we had a two day stay it would致e been horrible. My advice is to slow down and enjoy the ride
ranch.manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #52
bfisher003

We are retired and normally do 300-350 mile days when pulling the fiver. Our first day out is usually 400-450 miles just to get out of dodge, so to speak. On our current trip out West (from Florida) we致e even had a few travel days of less than 200 miles. If you are retired and not on a time schedule to get somewhere what痴 the rush? 600 mile days? No way.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #53
Preyou

I plan my trips based on a max of 6 hours at 50 MPH any pick overnight sites within that time so it works out a little less. I use RV Trip Wizard and it has a setting for "average hours per day"
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #54
Howler

Hell no, we won't go 600 miles in one day. We do about 250 max, 300 in an emergency. We are both retired and that means that neither of us have to show up for work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or any day for that matter.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #55
DonnieBlitz

I pretty much agree with everyone here. We shoot for the 400 mile range with our 5ver. When I traveled with my parents we would do more but they split the driving. I do the driving the wife does the dog holding! Weather can play a big part as well as traffic. Pulling out of Sturgis last year was good. By the time we hit Sioux Falls I was still fresh and we drove on to Albert lea. No way I would have done that the other way.
DonnieBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #56
jimborokz

I have made our days and travel legs shorter as my body legs get older. I can only go about 2 hours before the sciatica says it's time to get out and stretch. I target 250 mi. and 6 hours for the day and travel at 67 on interstate.
It seems the two main categories we have here are retired and working and much different rules govern each group. I drove truck part time for a few years after my second retirement (took three tries to get that retirement thing right) so I have memories of those 14 hour driving days. As someone quoted Clint we all need to know our limitations and what is safe. I won't recommend miles or hours to anyone as that is an individual thing, I just ask that we all realistically evaluate our limits and stay safe out there and enjoy this wonderful pastime we have called RVing.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #57
LHaven

We plan around four hours of driving per day. With lunch, gas stops, rest stops, and dog rest stops, we know that's going to turn into six to seven clock hours. That's enough to get to the next campground with plenty of daylight, and maybe find some local cuisine in town after dark.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #58
FlyingAroundRV

I wonder hours on the road is a better benchmark. Miles can be subject to all sorts of variables like traveling on interstates or state roads or even lesser roads. Obviously, the lower quality the road is, the fewer miles you'll do in a givn time.
That said, miles is probably easier to plan. Most GPS will give you an estimate of the travel time, but in my experience, they are more limited for route selection. Most I've encountered give options for quickes or shortest route. Some allow you to modify the route. The Garmin that I use works with a PC app and you can extensively modify your route, but the user interface with the app (Basecamp) is very fiddly.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #59
schrambo

We usually do 4 hrs, gets us to next stop in time to set up and relax.
schrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #60
maccam1

60 years old here,don't like to drive more than 5 hours,6 hours is the max for me
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote