Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
ClarkPNW

Looking for Weight Distribution Hitch

Hi, does anyone happen to have advice on which weight distribution hitch to get? Seems like this is quite a complicated topic. I found a couple of products online (here for example: https://mycamperfriend.com/weight-distribution-hitch/ ) but still not clear on what's the best. I know, there may be no default answer but would still appreciate any thoughts.

Regards,
Clark
ClarkPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Weight distribution/sway system selection depends greatly, if not entirely, on what your tow vehicle (and specs) and the RV (and specs). Post back and you can get some very informed answers.

Edit: didn't look at the link. Seems very pro Andersen - are they linked to the company? I don't have, nor want, an Andersen. It has too many components that will wear and deteriorate (poly). Innovative? Probably. Best in class? Not in a long shot IMO (maybe for a year or so).

The cheaper wdh units are just that. They do not provide sway control to any degree IMO. Now I will say I had some cheap wdh with the little add on friction bars on the side decades ago that would literally make my back truck tires leave the ground on a bump with the wdh portion; the friction bars? Didn't exist in real life.

The comments about the Equalizer on rough roads (I have one) makes no sense to me. I've used mine up and down, left and right etc. on all kinds of roads and never had an issue. I did not take the time to pull up the manual to see if those comments were accurate - I've never seen them but....

There is a reason the Equalizer is more or less THE standard not only for WDH but sway control as well. The Andersen is a novelty IMO and we will see how it fares in a few years.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

Equalizer is very nice. Look at Fastway products. Same concept but not as expensive. We had one when I had my TT and it worked well.

Just make sure that you get over the weight of your trailer, or if you have a 10k trailer get the 12k hitch, just my thoughts
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum! Weight distribution/sway system selection depends greatly, if not entirely, on what your tow vehicle (and specs) and the RV (and specs). Post back and you can get some very informed answers.

Edit: didn't look at the link. Seems very pro Andersen - are they linked to the company? I don't have, nor want, an Andersen. It has too many components that will wear and deteriorate (poly). Innovative? Probably. Best in class? Not in a long shot IMO (maybe for a year or so).

The cheaper wdh units are just that. They do not provide sway control to any degree IMO. Now I will say I had some cheap wdh with the little add on friction bars on the side decades ago that would literally make my back truck tires leave the ground on a bump with the wdh portion; the friction bars? Didn't exist in real life.

The comments about the Equalizer on rough roads (I have one) makes no sense to me. I've used mine up and down, left and right etc. on all kinds of roads and never had an issue. I did not take the time to pull up the manual to see if those comments were accurate - I've never seen them but....

There is a reason the Equalizer is more or less THE standard not only for WDH but sway control as well. The Andersen is a novelty IMO and we will see how it fares in a few years.

The Anderson is not a novelty. It has been on the market for over 10 years. Before you start bashing a product you should do some actually research as in use the product. How can you say how good a product is if you have never used it.
I have had the equalizer 4-point and now have had the Anderson for 2 years. The equalizer is a great hitch. I went to the Anderson to save my back. The bars and hitch head are double the weight of the Anderson. Also the Anderson is very easy to adjust to different towing situations on the fly. I use my Anderson with a 38 ft 11,000 gross trailer, hooked to a 3/4 ton truck. When the truck is properly sized to the trailer the Anderson does an excellent job at both weight distribution and sway control.
In summary. You should not give an opinion on a product you have not used. You have no way to know how good it is or is not unless you have used it. I think both products are great products and the OP will not go wrong with either the equalizer 4 point or the Anderson. As long as the truck has the proper capacity to haul the trailer. But that requires the weight police to get involved.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
goducks

I've used several WDH's over the years.
Round bar EAZ Lift with friction bar.
EQ with 4 Pt sway control
A used Hensley Arrow
Andersen.
Best of course was the Hensley. Bought it used for $950 and sold it for $900.
2nd was the Andersen. Only reason was that it made the ride smoother than the EQ
I used the EQ and the HA with two different trucks and the same TT. The EQ was fine if you like grease, noise and packing heavy metal.
The Andersen wouldn't of worked with my 1st truck and the TT because the Andersen wasn't capable if transferring enough weight. (1/2 ton truck and 900 lb TW)
It did however work great with the 2nd truck (12 2500 diesel). Not much weight needed to be transferred because the heavy diesel kept the front end down when hitched.
The EAZ Lift was used on a lighter TT with a 1/2 ton truck. That combo was as good as it got. TT was balanced perfectly and didn't need sway control. In fact on one return trip the cheapo friction bar broke some here along the way and I never knew it until I pull into the driveway to unhitch. Never put it back on after than. TT was 21' @4050 lbs. Truck was an 08 F150 Scab 6.5" bed 2wd Max Tow.

I'm in the process of changing from a 5th wheel to a TT. This go around I'm going to try the Blue Ox WDH. I like the fact that it doesn't need greasing like the EQ, is quiet and the whole assembly is lighter.

Having a 2500 gas and getting a TT with a projected TW around 1200+ there's no way the Andersen will transfer enough weight. If it would I would go that route.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
The Anderson is not a novelty. It has been on the market for over 10 years. Before you start bashing a product you should do some actually research as in use the product. How can you say how good a product is if you have never used it.
I have had the equalizer 4-point and now have had the Anderson for 2 years. The equalizer is a great hitch. I went to the Anderson to save my back. The bars and hitch head are double the weight of the Anderson. Also the Anderson is very easy to adjust to different towing situations on the fly. I use my Anderson with a 38 ft 11,000 gross trailer, hooked to a 3/4 ton truck. When the truck is properly sized to the trailer the Anderson does an excellent job at both weight distribution and sway control.
In summary. You should not give an opinion on a product you have not used. You have no way to know how good it is or is not unless you have used it. I think both products are great products and the OP will not go wrong with either the equalizer 4 point or the Anderson. As long as the truck has the proper capacity to haul the trailer. But that requires the weight police to get involved.

You need to re-read my post without going into "defensive" mode because you have one. I did not "bash" the Andersen. I said "IMO" it had too many parts to wear out (poly) - I still think that and believe time will show it. I don't have to own it or use it to analyze a product based on my criteria to form an opinion - we all do it - not being able to do so would be contrary to probably 90% of the opinions folks have formed. Novelty? I don't know. There has been an increased talk of the Andersen over the last 2-3 years, before that virtually not talked about that I saw, so, yes, IMO a novelty.

I did not say the Andersen wouldn't do the job - by all accounts it does. It's the long term I would be concerned about. I made the comments about the Equalizer and rough roads due to the cons listed for it in the article vs my experience with it.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
KCSA75

I'll put in a word for the Curt TruTrac. It's very similar to an Equalizer but weighs a little less and costs a couple hundred dollars less (https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...tribution.aspx).

I've never used any other WDH so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's done what it's supposed to do for me.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
Just chillin

Do your homework.

I looked real hard at the Anderson when I was looking. I don’t have a problem with the Anderson. But there are some trailer manufacturers out there, depending upon the type of tongue they use ,that say do not use the Anderson. It puts a lot of stress on the latch that keeps the tongue connected to the ball , because while distributing the weight it is pulling the ball back into the latch, something the latch was not designed for 100% of the time.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
You need to re-read my post without going into "defensive" mode because you have one. I did not "bash" the Andersen. I said "IMO" it had too many parts to wear out (poly) - I still think that and believe time will show it. I don't have to own it or use it to analyze a product based on my criteria to form an opinion - we all do it - not being able to do so would be contrary to probably 90% of the opinions folks have formed. Novelty? I don't know. There has been an increased talk of the Andersen over the last 2-3 years, before that virtually not talked about that I saw, so, yes, IMO a novelty.

I did not say the Andersen wouldn't do the job - by all accounts it does. It's the long term I would be concerned about. I made the comments about the Equalizer and rough roads due to the cons listed for it in the article vs my experience with it.

By calling it a novelty you are bashing it. All I am saying is if you have never used it you do not know. So next time give your opinion on things you have experience with and not with things you do not have any experience with.
Part of the problem with these pages is people giving there opinion when they know nothing about something.
The best information for the OP is first hand experience with each product he asked about. So give your opinion on the equalizer and leave the info about other hitches to the people who have used them.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I won't post on this again, but...

For you edification here is the definition of "opinion":

o·pin·ion
/əˈpinyən/
noun
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It doesn't define that I must have experience with "it" before forming an opinion. People have opinions about anything and everything without "first hand, hands on experience".

When I say that I believe that the poly components will degrade over time IMO, that is based on fact - I HAVE had poly components degrade. My comments are to give the prospective buyers something to think about or look into....nothing more. They may or may not think it is relevant but I can certainly point it out in good conscience.

If you actually take your own advice and decide to go skydiving, the pilot gives you a chute and the canopy is made of toilet tissue....youre telling me that the only way you could form an opinion if the chute was good or bad would be to put it on, jump and form an opinion when you "hit the ground"?? I suppose you would suggest that to someone else as well?

Edit: the definition of novelty:

nov·el·ty
/ˈnävəltē/
noun
noun: novelty
1. the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

I am trying to figure out how that is "bashing" anything.

As I said, I won't continue to debate this with you. You just need to think about what you are saying....it does not make sense to me.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:

Edit: the definition of novelty:

nov·el·ty
/ˈnävəltē/
noun
noun: novelty
1. the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

I am trying to figure out how that is "bashing" anything.

As I said, I won't continue to debate this with you. You just need to think about what you are saying....it does not make sense to me.
You left out 2. A small and inexpensive toy or ornament.

To me your statement read as if you were calling it a toy.

Either way your response is a bit over the top.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
You left out 2. A small and inexpensive toy or ornament.

To me your statement read as if you were calling it a toy.

Either way your response is a bit over the top.

Sorry you think so. I gave an in depth explanation of what I said and why. I used the word "novelty" as it is referenced in my post. The Andersen is not a toy...it is rather new, IMO unproven over long periods of use due to my concern of the poly components. It is my opinion. I was not bashing and tried to give a thorough explanation since the other poster has the unit and seemed to think I was - that's it. Again, it's unfortunate you think it's over the top but it IS my opinion. Explanation and protesting are 2 very different things.

All of this is off topic and hi jacking the thread. The OP asked for "advice" and "any thoughts" about what weight distribution hitch he might get - lets keep it on track - not criticizing others opinions or trying to parse words to construe them in a manner that wasn't meant.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
KSH

The nice thing about the propride is the bars are in place and go up and down with a drill. Nothing to lift or fight with.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
travelin texans

The main thing is that regardless of the TT or TV a WDH with some sort anti sway system should be mandatory! Just MY opinion, not fact!
Most that ask for help diagnosing/repairing problems will get a page full of opinions as to what is wrong &/or how to fix it & with a bit of luck those opinions will have been helpful.
So again, IN MY OPINION, keep the opinions coming & don't attack others if theirs doesn't agree with yours.....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The main thing is that regardless of the TT or TV a WDH with some sort anti sway system should be mandatory! Just MY opinion, not fact!
Most that ask for help diagnosing/repairing problems will get a page full of opinions as to what is wrong &/or how to fix it & with a bit of luck those opinions will have been helpful.
So again, IN MY OPINION, keep the opinions coming & don't attack others if theirs doesn't agree with yours.....

Yup!! I have seen all manner of hitches, including what I call the “upside down” round bar/chain. I have seen some that are “shot out” with less than a year and I’ve seen some that are on the owners fourth or fifth trailer over a span of many years. I’m. I will say I personally favor the equalizer 4 point. But since I’ve only towed a fiver since 1989, I don’t have any experience with ANY W/D sway system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
busterbrown

I would steer away from a Blue OX Sway Pro if the trailer in question is very long and/or heavy. I never had good results on my 35' Bullet. Other's have reported the same with longer trailers. The sway was minimal if conditions were ideal. But when crosswinds are forecasted, better have a tight grip on that steering wheel.

IMO and from what I've read, the 4pt friction hitch from Equalizer leads the way for performance in that price range. Go Propride or Hensley if pockets are deep and one wants a complete sway elimination design. ...again, my opinion.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Jackitup

I had the Anderson hitch and it did a great job however in the past 3 years of owning the hitch I had to get in touch with the manufacturer for replacement parts and explaining my issues with them and them sending me new updated cones and and a new updated head for noise issues. I just need a hitch that will perform with no issues so I currently use the Equalizer 4point for the past 2 years and love it yes it is a bit heavier but it performs like the day I bought it. Just my opinion ✌️

Kevin
2017 F150 5.0L 4x4 XLT
4 point Equalizer
2016 bullet 274bhs
Jackitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #18
Dobbs

I use the Andersen. It was given to me by someone going to a 5er. None of my money went to the Andersen manufacturer. I agree about some of the POLY parts wearing out being a concern. My experience has been very positive when I had a couple separate issues. One was one of the poly springs/bushings cracked. The other was the brake/friction material had also cracked. Both were replaced within days after contacting the company with pictures. I repeat I got this set-up used, for free, and the company is still standing behind it 100% with the second problem fixed with a new head worth $200+.
As for performance it is wonderful. Easy to hook up, quiet, no sway, dampens porpoising, and not a back breaker. Ball turns with the trailer so no grease needed. But if they stop the wonderful service or parts become unavailable I'll be in the market for something else.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
I use the Andersen. It was given to me by someone going to a 5er. None of my money went to the Andersen manufacturer. I agree about some of the POLY parts wearing out being a concern. My experience has been very positive when I had a couple separate issues. One was one of the poly springs/bushings cracked. The other was the brake/friction material had also cracked. Both were replaced within days after contacting the company with pictures. I repeat I got this set-up used, for free, and the company is still standing behind it 100% with the second problem fixed with a new head worth $200+.
As for performance it is wonderful. Easy to hook up, quiet, no sway, dampens porpoising, and not a back breaker. Ball turns with the trailer so no grease needed. But if they stop the wonderful service or parts become unavailable I'll be in the market for something else.

Dobbs, your post points out the exact problems I figured would happen with the poly components. Your experience dealing with them, and their willingness to help, is a great statement for them IMO. Hopefully the service continues. My worry would be if they didn't? Thanks for posting your experience.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 AM   #20
Northofu1

I use the blue ox sway pro. I am very happy with it. I requires light greasing to stop creaking, it is not light. I have no sway. I have driven through rainstorms with wind and have been very stable.
Anytime I see any product that integrates poly/plastic with metal moving parts, I stay away. The poly/plastic fails, and it maybe that it's designed that way, I want no part of it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch