Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
John Shannon

Pop off valve

The water heater pressure pop off valve on my 2018 Fuzion 429 toy hauler started leaking and I replaced it with another of the same type and rating. Now the new one is leaking. I have an adjustable water pressure regulator set at 45 pounds as the stream of water out of the kitchen faucet was not forceful enough and I am wondering if that could be the cause of the failure. Anyone else have this issue with their water heater? Solutions?
John Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

RV water heaters require an air gap at the top of the tank. Is it possible that your tank doesn’t have it any more.

Open the valve, turn off the incoming water supply. Run the water pump and open the hot faucet on any sink for about 5 minutes.

Close the valve and turn on the incoming water supply. Now open the hot faucet at the sink and let it run. You may get water for a minute and then you’ll get air. Let it run until no more air, only wTer comes out.

That should re establish your air gap. Let us know if that fixes it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
John Shannon

shouldn't I turn the water source off first so the water doesn't blow out the pressure relief valve, then turn the units water pump on and flush out the hot water tank for the 5 mins?
John Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes you can. Even more simple:

Turn off the water, remove the anoderid/plug from the water heater tank. Open the pop off valve and drain tank.

Install anode rod/plug, close pop off valve. Turn on water source and then open hot side of faucet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Logan X

I had to replace the air gap after replacing the anode rod. The manual said to turn off all water supply, open any hot faucet and leave it open, open the pop off valve until no more water comes out and let it snap shut. Close the hot water faucet you opened and turn the water supply back on. You should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D612B77D-D2E4-441C-8068-FA771A03D3BF.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	19482  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote