Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
kzappala

Unhappy Drawers in rear bunk smashed by slides

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. We bought our 2012 Mountaineer 345DBQ on Saturday. It has a rear bunk room with two dresser and wardrobes on the back wall. When we got it home and opened the rear slides, a drawer had opened and it was smashed and had riped a piece of trim off. We have been assured that the pieces will be replaced, I think only because the bank hasn't issued the check. My concern now is how do we keep these drawers shut while moving the camper. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
kzappala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Drawers

There are several ways commonly used on ships and boats, but I think the simplest and best looking would be to get some clip holders like those used on kitchen cabinets and mount them at the top inside corners of the drawers.

The kind of fastener I am thinking of, in fact, Keystone uses to keep the upward opening doors above the sofa closed. Any Lowes or HD should have them.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
kzappala

These drawers already have some just like what is used on the cabinets but they are not working very well on the drawers. Some of the drawers stay shut but some will not, the clips seem to not be holding as well.
kzappala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Try looking in the Lee Valley Hardware catalog or go to their website (www.leevalley.com). They have a wide variety of latches and catches. Check to see what type might work for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
therink

I had a similar problem with two forward facing drawers. Those factory installed latches simply don't cut it, allowing the drawers to open. I remedied the situation by installing plastic baby proof latches that go on the inside. These are the spring loaded type that you push downward to open the drawer. They can be purchased anywhere that baby proofing supplies are sold.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Jim W

Hi, We have one drawer that opens all the time when towing. The drawer cannot be damaged by the slides opening or closing, but it would not stay closed.
I remember when we had young children around the house, we would use the child proof drawer locks. So I picked up a package at the local hardware store and installed one inside the drawer. Drawer now will only open up the one inch or so, until it hit's the keeper that is mounted on the framer.
Simply and low cost solution for keeping draws from opening. Just make sure you can use this style of lock with your slides.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, drawers, rear bunk, rear slides