Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Drennen7

LED Underglow

Played with some LED kits and I'm pretty happy with the result. The pics don't fully do it justice because the lights will project ANY color you want and even cycle through patterns (flashing, fades, etc.).

Some things you do just for fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6678.jpg
Views:	2366
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	12555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6681.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	12556  

2016 Fuzion Chrome 414
2013 Ford F-350
Drennen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Tbos

They look very nice. Good job.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Jetfixer03

I like it! Dang it, another thing for the list.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
xcntrk

That looks great! What kit are you using?

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
BuxCamper

My wife likes it which means it's on my mod list too.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
bigsnowman

X2 with my wife....showed her the photo and she fell in love with it. So....we all know what that means. It's now on my honeydolist. That's a sharp look!
bigsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
BuxCamper

Now if they would develop some anti-gravity strips! With them getting into those right spots would be a breeze.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drennen7 View Post
Played with some LED kits and I'm pretty happy with the result. The pics don't fully do it justice because the lights will project ANY color you want and even cycle through patterns (flashing, fades, etc.).

Please post what kit you used and any hints on the install. I have a feeling this will become a popular mod. Looks sharp...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drennen7 View Post

I have mine connected to the stereo and when they're changing colors, dimming and getting brighter as the bass kicks in it's pretty cool!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #10
Double b

Need material lists and step by step guide on install. Again wife likes so another project.....
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #11
CamperDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I have mine connected to the stereo and when they're changing colors, dimming and getting brighter as the bass kicks in it's pretty cool!

Very Cool! I had my old trailer wired for under glow and it really looked nice. How did you hook up your led strip to the stereo? Speaker output??

At least in my neck of the woods, the LED strip that comes with the TT is nice and bright but really attracts the bugs. There is no dimming or color changing on it so I just leave it off and use the amber porch light. That keeps the bugs down a little better. Never noticed the under glow attracting bugs though.

I ordered a bunch of LED strip lights from Amazon when they were like $5ea, boy do they come in handy (I am am x-mas lighting freak). They may still have some that are reasonably priced nowadays.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDave View Post
Very Cool! I had my old trailer wired for under glow and it really looked nice. How did you hook up your led strip to the stereo? Speaker output??

At least in my neck of the woods, the LED strip that comes with the TT is nice and bright but really attracts the bugs. There is no dimming or color changing on it so I just leave it off and use the amber porch light. That keeps the bugs down a little better. Never noticed the under glow attracting bugs though.

I ordered a bunch of LED strip lights from Amazon when they were like $5ea, boy do they come in handy (I am am x-mas lighting freak). They may still have some that are reasonably priced nowadays.
I bought an LED package from Amazon that had everything included. Remotes and a box that's hid behind the sound system that connects to the speaker wires.
It's all pretty cool when I'm out in the bush but it's very frowned upon in the States for some reason even when the volume is turned all the way down and the lights were on the dim mode.
I went across the line for 2 days to participate in a rocket launch and the campsite guy came over at like 8pm and told me to shut my lights of.
If I can find the parts # I'll pm you.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
Jeepshots

Quote:
I went across the line for 2 days to participate in a rocket launch and the campsite guy came over at like 8pm and told me to shut my lights off.
Sounds like the campsite guy was jealous that he wasn't invited to the slammin' party.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Sounds like the campsite guy was jealous that he wasn't invited to the slammin' party.
Not at all, he came over and explained to me that there were alot of people in the site that were locals who really don't agree with LED lights on awnings as it bugs their eyes. Don't know why it would as we were in a blind corner of the site.
I've read many threads here from Americans that get annoyed by Led's on other people's trailers. I can post a few links if you'd like me to.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
CamperDave

Quote:
I bought an LED package from Amazon that had everything included. Remotes and a box that's hid behind the sound system that connects to the speaker wires.
It's all pretty cool when I'm out in the bush but it's very frowned upon in the States for some reason even when the volume is turned all the way down and the lights were on the dim mode.
I went across the line for 2 days to participate in a rocket launch and the campsite guy came over at like 8pm and told me to shut my lights of.
If I can find the parts # I'll pm you.
Thanks! I actually have 6 of those kits. You can actually connect the LED strip to one of the speaker outputs without the box and the lights will glow to the low frequency of the music but it has to be turned up pretty high (defeats the purpose if the campground opposes it). I was just curious as to how you connected yours. Although I like the idea, for me it just not practical in a campground setting (music to light that is).

I have always had blue on for the underglow (without music) and never an issue at the park I frequent. I change colors occasionally but always come back to blue. I can certainly relate to the other campers having issues with LED, especially the older ones that flicker. Some people are extra sensitive to that, me included but I wouldn't complain about it, just wouldn't look at it.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
A couple of the campgrounds we use don't allow the LED light strips either.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
A couple of the campgrounds we use don't allow the LED light strips either.
Give us a shout out who these campgrounds are...so we can avoid them!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDave View Post
Thanks! I actually have 6 of those kits. You can actually connect the LED strip to one of the speaker outputs without the box and the lights will glow to the low frequency of the music but it has to be turned up pretty high (defeats the purpose if the campground opposes it). I was just curious as to how you connected yours. Although I like the idea, for me it just not practical in a campground setting (music to light that is).

I have always had blue on for the underglow (without music) and never an issue at the park I frequent. I change colors occasionally but always come back to blue. I can certainly relate to the other campers having issues with LED, especially the older ones that flicker. Some people are extra sensitive to that, me included but I wouldn't complain about it, just wouldn't look at it.

One of our favorite campgrounds will ask you to turn off the LEDs in some of the situations listed above with good reason (and probably due to complaints from folks like me).

If you use the LEDs for ambient lighting or supplemental, non-glaring lighting around the perimeter of the trailer that is one thing. To think that pulsing, flashing lights in the dark changing to your favorite music is cool to everyone would be wrong.

As I've stated previously, the only time I've ever heard my outdoor speakers is on the PDI. I don't turn them on because I don't want to impose my "noise" on someone else - and I've outgrown loud music. Same goes for the lights. If they couldn't be seen beyond the perimeter of your site it would be OK, but, if everyone in the campground has to watch them as they ruin a nice, quiet evening then you are imposing on those around you. Many, if not most, of us enjoy the quiet evening as the sun fades to dark. We may sit around and visit, watch the stars, listen to the various "night sounds" etc. What we didn't want to do is listen to/watch someone's rock/rap/hip hop etc. music while watching a 1960's psychedelic light show.

In the boonies it's fine; crank it up till the leaves shake and the lights look like a lightning storm, but, in a campground it's inconsiderate and disrespectful....IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
Drennen7

I used Boogey Lights (http://www.boogeylights.com/) and was pleased with the quality of their kit. Easy to install. On a scale of 1-10 I'm about a 2 when it comes to wrenching on my truck or camper. But I was able to knock out the entire thing in one afternoon.

Step 1 - Wipe down the installation site thoroughly (I spent a lot of time on my back and went through a lot of bleach wipes.

Step 2 - Apply the 3M primer provided with the kit

Step 3 - Attach the lights using the 3M double stick tape already attached the the lights.

Step 4 - mount/hang the lead wires as needed back to either the battery or a 110 outlet (both options supported)

Step 5 - I ran to 110 outlets in my storage basement - so I drilled a hole from the battery compartment to the basement to run the lead wires in, and a few wire connectors later they were hooked up!

Their system can run off a remote (provided) or for a few more bucks they run on bluetooth through an app on your phone with presets, etc. You can order various lengths for your specific installation. Their online chat support gave me all the info I needed to get all the right parts and helped me get them wired up correctly.
There are probably cheaper lights available, but overall I'm extremely happy with the quality, brightness, and their customer support.

2016 Fuzion Chrome 414
2013 Ford F-350
Drennen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
One of our favorite campgrounds will ask you to turn off the LEDs in some of the situations listed above with good reason (and probably due to complaints from folks like me).

If you use the LEDs for ambient lighting or supplemental, non-glaring lighting around the perimeter of the trailer that is one thing. To think that pulsing, flashing lights in the dark changing to your favorite music is cool to everyone would be wrong.

As I've stated previously, the only time I've ever heard my outdoor speakers is on the PDI. I don't turn them on because I don't want to impose my "noise" on someone else - and I've outgrown loud music. Same goes for the lights. If they couldn't be seen beyond the perimeter of your site it would be OK, but, if everyone in the campground has to watch them as they ruin a nice, quiet evening then you are imposing on those around you. Many, if not most, of us enjoy the quiet evening as the sun fades to dark. We may sit around and visit, watch the stars, listen to the various "night sounds" etc. What we didn't want to do is listen to/watch someone's rock/rap/hip hop etc. music while watching a 1960's psychedelic light show.

In the boonies it's fine; crank it up till the leaves shake and the lights look like a lightning storm, but, in a campground it's inconsiderate and disrespectful....IMO.
People complain about everything and in the States there's so many rules in the campgrounds that it's almost like being in jail. But where does one setup when they're just going to attend a group for a night or two? Is there a list somewhere of private grounds?

Tags
led