Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #21
rsl

How many DVDs/Blu Rays will that handle?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #22
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Which media stick clients do you prefer?
I started with the Chromcasts and didn't have much luck with them. There's some known problems with casting technology on some devices. The various smartphones I tried in my household would drop the cast session after some period of time. Some would make it deep into a move, others would only go a few min before the casting would error. A few google searches and you'll see this is all over the Internet. This is a Chromecast issue and has nothing to do with the MyPassport or Plex components.

So returned those and am currently exploring the Roku's. So far they are much better and include a remote so the kids can use them and the Plex streaming without my assistance. The Roku's do have a MAJOR limitation however. They require and assume access to the internet when they first start up. Not sure why but if they don't have access then they come up saying you need to reconfigure the network. The MyPassport device is both a wifi hotspot and a wifi gateway. So what you do is if the campground has wifi, then you join the Passport device to it. Then the Passport launches it's own private hotspot that the Roku's use to stream. In this configuration the Roku Internet access issue is not a problem as they use the passport to get there. The Roku's are not streaming any content from the Internet, I think they need the access to check your account credentials and look for updates, etc. However in campgrounds with no wifi the Roku's will not work. In these situations, you can tether the MyPassport server to your smartphone 4G/LTE service to give it enough Internet access for the Roku's to do their thing. Granted this is not ideal and I'm still experimenting with it.

There are other streaming client devices out there that can be used as well. One of the most promising (should the Roku Internet problem be too much to bare), is to use a Raspberry Pi and build a purpose built Plex client. This project already exists and is widely successful called - RasPlex. The Raspberry Pi are available with both wired and wifi interfaces and the Plex client that runs on them has zero need for Internet access (can run totally standalone on a local Plex server network).

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:03 AM   #23
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
How many DVDs/Blu Rays will that handle?
You would have to already have a digital media library to want to pursue this video streaming approach. The whole subject of how to "archive" to digital video files my library of DVD and/or BluRays is an entirely different conversation and there are entire forums dedicated to it.

But to answer your question, the MyPassport device is available in 2/3/4 Terabyte configurations. How much space a ripped movie will take on a disc is extremely complicated and has to do with type of encoding, desired quality, length of movie, blah, blah. But to make a shot in the dark; your average 1.5hr movie ripped to 1080P 30fps H264 with AAC audio High-Definition video format will consume roughly 5GB each. So in rough math:

2GB MyPassport could store = 400 movies
3GB MyPassport could store = 600 movies
4TB MyPassport could store = 800 movies

More than you could ever want to watch on a long camping trip that's for sure

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #24
Jeepshots

I rip all my movies into .ISO format, so on the hard drive, they're still pretty large. I then convert them to .M4V for iPad use. Those are less than 1Gb in size. So 2Tb is plenty big if you go that route. I've read that a lot of folks were having issues with the MPW device - disks were dropping out, so they'd lose capacity as well as data. Others were saying that they'd sometime drop in the middle of movies. I'd like to see a device like that, but with SSDs in it. Might be worth buying one, taking it apart on my own, and stuffing in SSDs (cloning the software over).
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
Jeepshots

An alternative is to use a RAVPower device, such as this one on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wire...ravpower&psc=1

It uses SD cards for storage, or you can use an external USB drive. 6K mAh battery pack, so plenty of battery. Should last longer since it's not powering true HDDs.

Really looking into one of these, but i don't know about any casting capabilities.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 07-15-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
xcntrk

Quote:
An alternative is to use a RAVPower device, such as this one on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wire...ravpower&psc=1

It uses SD cards for storage, or you can use an external USB drive. 6K mAh battery pack, so plenty of battery. Should last longer since it's not powering true HDDs.

Really looking into one of these, but i don't know about any casting capabilities.
That is a neat alternative! Hadn't seen this RAVpower before. The generic DNLA streaming turns me off a little as it sounds like higher maintenance to get a movie going, whereas the streaming media server front-ends like Plex/Twonky/Kodi give you an easy to use interface to access a movie library. But great alternative to test with if you don't want to go "all in" on a Passport device.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
Jeepshots

Ordered one from Amazon and got it in yesterday. Charged it up last night. Got to scrounge up an SD card from one of my cameras, load a movie or three onto it and see how it works for the kids. I'll let ya'll know. Still like the idea of the Passport reloaded with SSD drives...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #28
xcntrk

Quote:
Ordered one from Amazon and got it in yesterday. Charged it up last night. Got to scrounge up an SD card from one of my cameras, load a movie or three onto it and see how it works for the kids. I'll let ya'll know. Still like the idea of the Passport reloaded with SSD drives...
I was sort of surprised the Passport didn't come with a solid state, considering it's portable and all. Disc platters and vibrations from being on the move don't mix well.

I ran my Passport/Roku system while camping this weekend. It was a dry campground and no wifi. Literally on top of a mountain. The Roku and Passport system worked great! Was streaming 1080p HD movies and they looked fantastic on the 50" in my Fuzion. I did have to tether the Passport to my smartphone so the Roku's could get their Internet connection for registration or whatever, but even that went over without a hitch. Once the Passport remembers your SmartPhone "HotSpot", it will automatically connect as soon as you turn it on. And once the Roku wifi is setup to use your Passport, the whole system just comes online without any hassle. I think I'm done for now. I would like to find a streaming client device that doesn't require Internet to function, but honestly this was so easy it's not worth the effort.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
fishingprospector

Having same problem. We have been on the road for a month now and at over a dozen rv parks. Twice now we have hooked to parks cable tv and have been unable to scan any channels. Both times the park personnel have brought out little tvs and verified the cable to the campsite was working (very nice of them). At one park the gentleman said there cable doesn't work on some campers. Today we bought a new tv and hooked the cable from the park directly to the new tv and still no channels scanned. Both tvs will pick up a few antenna channels. The original 50" tv is a 2013 model and the 32" we just bought today. Wondering if there is any chance these tvs cannot scan certain cable signals?
fishingprospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:36 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

http://www.wyan.org/Cable-TV/What-Te...AM-tuners.aspx
List of tvs with and without QUAM tuners.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprospector View Post
Having same problem. We have been on the road for a month now and at over a dozen rv parks. Twice now we have hooked to parks cable tv and have been unable to scan any channels. Both times the park personnel have brought out little tvs and verified the cable to the campsite was working (very nice of them). At one park the gentleman said there cable doesn't work on some campers. Today we bought a new tv and hooked the cable from the park directly to the new tv and still no channels scanned. Both tvs will pick up a few antenna channels. The original 50" tv is a 2013 model and the 32" we just bought today. Wondering if there is any chance these tvs cannot scan certain cable signals?
Just to verify, not trying to be a smart donkey. For cable you are first turning off the over the air signal booster and then scanning for cable? If you don't, you will not pick up any cable.

You may also want to check that all connections are tight and the cable ends installed properly. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #32
fishingprospector

Television problems

Yes we did have the booster off when programming. The new tv is a TCL but the instructions state it has a Frequency synthesized tuner. Does not mention Qwam.
fishingprospector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable