Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Security from Theft?

I have a new Bullet and am keeping it at a gated storage center. Since it is new I imagine it's my paranoia, but I was wondering what type of anti theft measures should I take?

I have a power jack and took the battery off and have it stored. I beluev the area it is stored is relatively secure but just wanted tips from any of you long timers....thanks from a newbie.....
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I have a new Bullet and am keeping it at a gated storage center. Since it is new I imagine it's my paranoia, but I was wondering what type of anti theft measures should I take?

I have a power jack and took the battery off and have it stored. I beluev the area it is stored is relatively secure but just wanted tips from any of you long timers....thanks from a newbie.....
Get a tongue lock. It prevents anyone from coupling onto your TT & making it there's!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
KenBob

Along with the hitch lock you could get:

BAL X chock and a lock to prevent chock removal.
Wheel locking lug nuts
Non 751 keyed locks for storage compartments
Cables to lock propane tanks. (or remove them)
Cable to lock spare tire.
Some of the items won't prevent the trailer from being stolen, but they may keep some of the items ON the trailer from growing legs.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Pete and Jeanne

Exclamation Theft..

Thought I had the ultimate in security. Owned a Flagstaff HW27 PU. Kept a hitch lock (padlock) and tongue lock on it while parked under my carport (just fit). Mardi Gras day someone backed up into MY driveway, cut the padlock, jacked up and carted off my HWKS. If they want it..they'll take it. I live in a small subdiv. which up till now had very little in the way of theft. To this day I don't know how they got around the tongue lock..I THINK I put it back on last time out....I think.... I live outside of New Orleans but there's a lot of Mardi Gras spill over into the surronding areas. It's a known fact that people come to the area on Mardi Gras with empty U-Hauls and leave with full ones. Few people are home(parades and parties)..in fact only one neigh. saw "the guy"..started to wave till he saw it wasen't me...ya know "the guy" waved back...Thanks for letting me rant. What I started to say was take as many precautions as you can...and hope for the best..Travel Well P.S. DW and I now own a Bullet also...besides the tongue and padlock I now place an extended version of the "spread chocks". Don't remember the name of the darn things...they fold then expand to fit between the axles..I had to have one bar remade to extend to fit the spread axles..local maching shop and just a few bucks...but once in place you can place a long shank padlock on them also...........Pete
Pete and Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Theft

This is exactly "why" insurance companies thrive. People will steal your possessions. We live in a similar, as described, sub division. When I open my garage doors, people almost stop and stare inside where I house 2 big motorcycles. When I trailer load the bikes; I do in in the "overflow parking" and never leave them over night on the trailer. With our 5er; I just do not feel comfortable loading it at the house. May as well place a sign on the lawn: "we are leaving now". We choose to load it on site in the mountains.

We "only" care of possessions that our kids, now adults, made and selected family passed down jewelry. Everything else is just replaceable stuff.

You could invest in a professional "parking boot" if you have future fears. Won't go anywhere.

It's a sad world we live in.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

if they want it, they will take it. nuff said. don't worry about it. i worry when i am in it, with the family, someone comes in, there is no telling what they would do, to get what they want. my old man left everything unlocked, trucks with the keys in them, he always said "if they take something, at least they wouldn't break anything in the process". now i don't follow that advice, i do take the responsibility to keep what is mine, mine. but my advice to you is, put your locks on and just enjoy it. there are more important things to worry about then your camper. i also store mine in a secure storage area, with cameras and the whole 9 yards, and i worried about it for a few days, but got over it, and truthfully i sometimes forget that it is even there. i drive alot for a living, and i take notice to all the storage areas around, there is a lot of "fruit for the picking" if you know what i mean. the odds of someone coming after your trailer are prolly perty low. most people will see the gate and just move on down the road to one with out a gate. crooks are lazy, thats why they are crooks. the bigger the pain in the rear, the better your chances are.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
THedges

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
Along with the hitch lock you could get:

BAL X chock and a lock to prevent chock removal.
Wheel locking lug nuts
Non 751 keyed locks for storage compartments
Cables to lock propane tanks. (or remove them)
Cable to lock spare tire.
Some of the items won't prevent the trailer from being stolen, but they may keep some of the items ON the trailer from growing legs.
All good suggestions, I do most of these my self.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Outbackmel

Thefts

Correct-o. Even in a 5 star park in the mountains with security forces; we have had instances in the "storage" area in the flat cut area; where 50 units are stored when not used; people come from the woods; open locks and steal flat screen tv's and personal items.

You can only do what you can and then enjoy.

Most newer "storage areas" that charge monthly fees have many security cameras that film from all angles. Theives know this. Helps some for sure.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote