Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
RVnewbieGA

US map of states in signature?

I have seen some posts where a map of the US was in the signature showing what states were camped in. Where can I get this map that I can edit to reflect where I have camped? Thanks for any advice.

RVnewbieGA
2014 Keystone Outback 298RE
2015 F-150 SuperCrew V5 Ecoboost, Maxtow
RVnewbieGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Try visitedstates.com

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Try visitedstates.com
Do you count every state you pass through or only those where you spend the night?

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Do you count every state you pass through or only those where you spend the night?

My map reflects every state I have spent at least 1 night. I not aware of any "rule" written or implied otherwise.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
byrdr1

Pretty neat thanks.
I have visited these states and camped in most but not all.
Army brat so that helped.
I re-edited the added map to the states I have camped at least one night. Again being an Army brat I have camped in these states.
dad grew up in Michigan so we would go up there from time to time and we camped a couple of times up there. I might have camped In Mississippi once or twice Mom's sister lived there.
And we would go down there and I might have camped a few times but really don't remember. DAD being career military we were always camping somewhere.
This summer's two trips to Oklahoma helped me add two more states west of the Mississippi to the map.

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Desert185

No rules on this, but I take it to mean states where one has actually camped overnight, whether tent, popup camper, motorhome or trailer. Hotels, state-line visits or airplane overflights/landings don't count, to my way of thinking. Kind of tough to tow a trailer to Hawaii.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Cbrez

Thanks chuckster57 and desert185. Just wanted to see if there is a consensus. We have not started traveling in earnest yet, but want to count states similar to others when we travel across country next year. I agree with one night minimum overnight RV stay. Othwise it's just a windshield tour of a piece of the state.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 09-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Chuckster57, Q' for you. Do know if people generally highlight the states they been to totally or just rv'ing/camping? I know what I think but just to confirm.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I honestly have no idea. Since I don't know of any requirements for adding a state, I guess anybody could add a state for any reason.

If I was to, I could add more states that I camped in as a child, and visited in highschool with the band. I just chose to show the states I have stayed at least one night in an RV with MY RV.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #10
Dave W

It means what you want it to mean.

If I counted all of the states I have 'visited' either by a business trip or landing in a plane, every state but Alaska, Hawaii and ND would be colored in. We are defining ours as any state we visit with the RV - and our map is getting well colored.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #11
Cbrez

I think we are all on the same page here. We may have been all over the country for business trips or other travels, but now we're talking about a map you stick on the side of your RV or post in the RV forum. It should be about where you and your RV been.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 09-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #12
Dave W

In the sig now is our current map of only states visited with our RVs:

Unfortunately this map doesn't cover Canadian Provinces but so far we have 3 of them - PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Maybe more next year
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
It should be about where you and your RV been.
How do you get your RV to Hawaii to check that box? That's why I use tent, camper, motorhome or trailer as a "camping" qualifier. I've tented in Haleakala's crater outflow and Hana on Maui, because the rig couldn't be checked or carried on.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
Cbrez

I don't disagree. No one is going to ship an RV to Hawaii, so tent camping has to count. I have tent camped up and down the East coast, but RVing is a new chapter for us. I am going to stick with where we camp in the RV - unless we go to Hawaii of course.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, a number of people ship RV's to Hawaii. Some for commercial purposes and some simply to have a camper on the island.

Actually, there are a number of RV rental agencies on the islands, one of which is http://www.rvmaui.com/ While they are essentially a brokerage firm that rents private RV's for a "cut of the action", there is everything from Airstreams to class A motorhomes available for rent.

So, even if you can't check it or claim it as a "carry on", you can "camp in an RV in Hawaii".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #16
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, a number of people ship RV's to Hawaii. Some for commercial purposes and some simply to have a camper on the island.

Actually, there are a number of RV rental agencies on the islands, one of which is http://www.rvmaui.com/ While they are essentially a brokerage firm that rents private RV's for a "cut of the action", there is everything from Airstreams to class A motorhomes available for rent.

So, even if you can't check it or claim it as a "carry on", you can "camp in an RV in Hawaii".....
I was just addressing the statement, "It should be about where you and your RV been." (sic)

If "your" RV hasn't been to Hawaii, then no map highlight for Hawaii doesn't seem to make sense. Using that logic, one would have to start the map over when buying a different trailer or a motorhome.

There are no RV parks on Maui, according to RV Parky, just a Walmart near Kahului, so I'm not sure why one would want to rent an RV there. The place is crowded enough without trying to shoehorn an RV someplace.

Edit: Actually there is one at Makawao near Haleakala. One and Walmart...
Old 10-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's 5 campgrounds on Maui: http://www.rvmaui.com/camping_maui.html
and 7 listed in this link: http://www.alohacampers.com/maui-cam...c-campgrounds/ (Some of them are duplicates) and there are a number of campgrounds on the other islands as well.

Additionally, camping (actually parking on public beaches) is legal everywhere on Maui, except where there are signs restricting access. Beach fishing is a big pastime and locals with vehicles drive to the beach to fish (easier to carry equipment). In one of the RV rental websites, they actually suggest just "parking on the beach" rather than camping in a "formal campground".

It may not be "just the ticket" for everyone, but there are alternatives to hotels, bungalows and cottages even in Hawaii. No, I haven't rented an RV in the islands, but when I was assigned to Hickam AFB on Oahu (back in the '60's) many people drove VW campmobiles, actually Westfalia conversions, as "daily drivers" and used them extensively on the weekends to "explore". They (VW campers) are still a very popular option for "island camping" and can be rented at a number of places throughout the islands. Here's one on Maui: http://www.alohacampers.com/

While not for everyone, island camping with an RV is not only possible, just like on the mainland, it's quite a bit cheaper than "hotel/motel" stays and gives you the alternative mobility you don't get with "sticks 'n bricks" lodging.

Now, back to the thread topic, whether or not you "choose to color in" the islands on an RV travel map is more a personal choice than "following any written rules" as the only "rule" I know about is in the description of the vinyl "RV State Sticker Map" offered for sale at many places. In the sales information you'll find something like this: "•Map roadtrips or visited destinations with our USA decal state sticker map. Easily peel and stick to showcase your travels & journey!" So, in keeping with "versatility" even the manufacturer offers anyone who purchases a map the opportunity to interpret how to use it "without restrictions"...........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #18
Desert185

Oh oh..."RV state sticker map." I'll have to rip that sucker off my tent.

Thanks for the info on camping HI.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

So....if you rent a camper in HI instead of shipping your own there and using it, does it count? I'm so constipated over this.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:44 AM   #20
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
So....if you rent a camper in HI instead of shipping your own there and using it, does it count? I'm so constipated over this.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
Maybe...But you've got to ride a unicorn and find one hens tooth at the base of a tree on the mountain for it to qualify.
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
signature, us map