Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Mike.Merrill.76

Sewer smell coming from under sink.

Keystone passport 2013 2910bh. Experiencing an unusual sewer smell from under the kitchen sink. Could the black tank be backing up into the grey water lines? I don't think they are connected. Haven't took the traps off to see what's going on because we are camping for spring break. Don't feel like working on vacation. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mike.Merrill.76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Sometimes, this odor is caused by a malfunctioning "cheater vent" which takes the place of the usual galley holding tank vent. Look under your sink and you may see a black PVC pipe with a spring-loaded cap on it. The cap may have worked its way loose or the mechanism inside has failed.
These cheater vents are often easily purchased at HD or some other big box store and are simple to replace.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
cw3jason

Same as above, but I'll add if you are hooked up to the sewer, keep your dump valves closed until your ready to dump. This will prevent any of those gasses from coming back up into your trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
theeyres

It had happened to me and it is that vent under the sink, used instead of an air pipe going up to the roof. It's a five minute job and $20 part. It's called an Air Admittance Valve.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The easy way to determine if it's the "cheater vent" that's actually allowing the smells to enter is to take a plastic sip lock bag, slip it over the vent and tape it to the pipe. If the smell persists, it's not the cheater vent, but if the smell goes away, replacing the vent will fix your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Elk4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The easy way to determine if it's the "cheater vent" that's actually allowing the smells to enter is to take a plastic sip lock bag, slip it over the vent and tape it to the pipe. If the smell persists, it's not the cheater vent, but if the smell goes away, replacing the vent will fix your problem.
Don't forget to remove the bag and replace the Air Admittance Valve. If you don't the next time you dump the gray water tank you stand the chance of the outgoing water flow will produce a suction on the drainage system which will suck the water out of the P-Trap under the sink and the sewer gas smell will really be strong. The water in the P-Trap keeps the smell out by providing a water seal.
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
Don't forget to remove the bag and replace the Air Admittance Valve. If you don't the next time you dump the gray water tank you stand the chance of the outgoing water flow will produce a suction on the drainage system which will suck the water out of the P-Trap under the sink and the sewer gas smell will really be strong. The water in the P-Trap keeps the smell out by providing a water seal.
Yup, YUP !!! Any time you use a "Band-Aid fix" to check something, ya gotta remember to "undo the Band-Aid" after you verify the condition !!!

That said, I wonder if the OP ever resolved his problem???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote