Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #1
tommy_z

Getting Dogs in/out Pickup Bed

I'm about to buy a 3/4 ton pickup to haul my bumper pull camper. My dogs will ride in the bed which I plan to have a shell over.

When hooked up, I don't think the tail gate will clear the jack.

One dog is 90#, the other 45#. So, lifting over the tailgate isn't an option.

Is my only option to load them before hooking up? For long trips, say I stop at a rest area. That means I have to unhook to get them out too?
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to consider removing your existing tailgate and replace it with a heavy duty cargo tailgate net or a 5th wheel style tailgate. This would leave the rear of your truck bed a bit less secure and more "open" but other than hooking and unhooking your trailer each time, I don't see too many options.

What about putting the dogs in the back seat or do you think they are too big? Why not take them out like this on a short trip as a trial run?

It also sounds as if you are not certain that the tailgate won't clear the jack. Have you actually tried it to see if it will?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
hankaye

tommy_z, Howdy;

Here's another option,
https://www.weiderfitness.com/free-w...tironweightset
With enough practice you can toss the big'un over the closed tailgate
and in through the open topper opening.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My tailgate on my Ram 3/4 ton will not clear the jack on my bumper pull. I suspect the tongue on most Keystones are pretty similar so you will probably have an issue as well.

A more open, slotted tailgate like they use for a 5th wheel might drop but you would lose any security plus most of the ones I've seen would not keep the water off your gear or dogs in rainy weather (road spray especially).

My pup rides in the cab but there is just myself, DW and pup. The backseat and console are pup's domain (51 lbs). Short of hand loading the dogs or putting them in the truck the only option may be to unhitch.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Irish1955

My weight distribution hitch shank has two holes for installing the shank on the trailer hitch. Installed in the rear hole the tailgate barely clears the jack but in the front hole it clears by a couple inches. If you don't need much more space to clear you could look for a longer hitch shank. My 100 lb german sheperd rides in the back seat. My issue is getting him in there. He's getting too old to climb in and I'm getting too old too lift him. But when it's time to camp we figure it out.
Irish1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1955 View Post
My weight distribution hitch shank has two holes for installing the shank on the trailer hitch. Installed in the rear hole the tailgate barely clears the jack but in the front hole it clears by a couple inches. If you don't need much more space to clear you could look for a longer hitch shank. My 100 lb german sheperd rides in the back seat. My issue is getting him in there. He's getting too old to climb in and I'm getting too old too lift him. But when it's time to camp we figure it out.
I hear you. It's strange how the "want to" can sometimes overcome the "I can't"
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
I'm about to buy a 3/4 ton pickup to haul my bumper pull camper. My dogs will ride in the bed which I plan to have a shell over.

Is my only option to load them before hooking up? For long trips, say I stop at a rest area. That means I have to unhook to get them out too?
An aluminum ramp?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Murphsmom

Our dogs have never ridden in the bed of a pickup, so I don't have a whole lot of suggestion there. At various times we have traveled with one, two, or even three retrievers in the back seat area. They always figured out how to manage the space.

As far as loading an older dog in the back seat goes, we used a folding ramp for our aged Golden and our three-legged Lab cross. Got it at Costco online. We now have a two year old 85 pound Lab and are in the process of teaching him to use the ramp, too. After the arthritis problems in our other dogs, we figure that anything we can do to save Ollie's joints is worth it.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
theeyres

I would strongly suggest you buy a truck with some kind of a rear seat. We have the extended cab. The dogs jump in the front on the floor, up on the front seat, then between the seats into the back. We built a board the covers the back seat and is braced on the floor so they have a huge area to relax in. Crew cab would be even better.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

Does your truck have a sliding rear window? If not an after market window with two sliding pains. The pups can crawl in through the window and out the door. Tha is what we did when we had a travel trailer and our two big mutes.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know if there's enough space to lower the tailgate against the jack and access the truck bed. If there is enough space for the tailgate to "almost lay flat" you could consider a jack cover lined with foam to protect the tailgate finish. Just place it over the jack before you lower the tailgate and remove it when you're finished with whatever you're loading/unloading....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POWER JACK COVER1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	10143  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
Murphsmom

One other potential problem I see with confining the dogs in the shell on the pickup is that, unless you have an air conditioned space, that Texas weather will be way too hot for them back there.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #13
Pull Toy

This is just a thought., but when we had a 135# Rottie, he used to ride in the camper. Saved a lot of strain on our backs, and his whole body. Only time he rode in the bed was when we were unhooked, and then we had a ramp.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I had a similar problem but not due to trying to get a dog in the bed. I just needed access! The dogs ride in the back seat in our cab.

Anyway, back to my point. I found that if I used the tongue jack to raise the tongue, I had enough room to drop the gate. Wish I'd known this before I put a ding in the paint! Hope it helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
tommy_z

Thanks for the input folks.

I have 2 pre-teen boys who ride in the backseat, which doesn't leave much room for 1 large and 1 medium dog for everybody to be comfortable.

Yeah, the bed gets hotter than the cab. I intended to leave the rear window open and add a fan. That still won't make it as cool as the cab. I have the perfect place for them to ride in the trailer, but even with windows open and fans blowing it will get warm. However, I think if I plan my summer trips to drive in the morning it would be tolerable.

My current Expedition solves all this, but I think I need more truck because of the short wheelbase and I'm at the limit on payload.

The closest thing I can find to replace it is a 3/4 or 1 ton passenger van. And I'm not liking that alternative. So pickups are the only thing left.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #16
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
tommy_z, Howdy;

Here's another option,
https://www.weiderfitness.com/free-w...tironweightset
With enough practice you can toss the big'un over the closed tailgate
and in through the open topper opening.

hankaye
X 2 on this idea

Seriously though having the dogs in the bed will get way too hot for them.
As Festus suggested the cargo net would work perfectly and if you opened the sliders on the cap then there would be a sufficient amount of airflow for the dogs
Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Pull Toy

Isn't an "Expedition" a basic station wagon type SUV? Why not load the dogs thru the rear door and then unfold the seat for the boys?

Sorry.... lost track of the PU upgrade. Leave the teenagers home, put the dogs in the camper, load the backseat with beer and snacks! LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #18
jw99

This can end up bad so many ways. If you stop for lunch, the dogs can overheat in the bed. Obviously, your dogs are part of the family, as is mine. So if you are going to travel with them, it sounds like you need a bigger family vehicle.

The only other viable option is to put them in the trailer and make sure you have a DC fan in case you stop along your way.

Being able to travel with our pets is why I bought my first RV. But it will be sad day and ruin your entire vacation if your pups overheat.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

2014 Cougar 327RES
2011 F-250 4x4 6.7L
jw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #19
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post

Their 10" or 13" support bars and a ramp?

http://dgmtailgatesupport.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #20
gearhead

One word: Suburban
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote