Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
SmittysRV

Fairview Campground in Kernville Ca. Anyone been there?

We are planning on heading out there this weekend. I am coming from the south, LA area and was also wondering what the best route would be. I have a 40' toy hauler 5th wheel and the 178 from the west look pretty curvy and tight.

Anyone with insight on this campsite as to things to bring, not to bring, things to do and so on and so forth would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!! Smitty

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
halfprice

Where in So Cal are you?? I go to Kernville once a year. I stay at Rivernook cg.

I take the 60e to 15n to 395n 178w. The 178 is a little curvy but not a problem at all. My understanding is the 178e from the 5 is very bad and very tight. Not recommended.

I don't know anything about the cg you are staying at but I googled it and its dry camping. So make sure your generator is working because you will need the a/c. It will probably be 100*+.

The river is way down so fishing and rafting will probably be out. The river is usually stocked but with the low water lever the stockers die off due to the high water temps. If you want to fish you'll have to go above the damn. If you do this remember it is barbless hooks. Check the regs for fishing above the damn.

Not much to see or do in Kernville. There is a nice store and a couple of restaurants. Closed to your cg is McNallys Restaurant. Very good for a steak dinner. Order the 40oz porterhouse. I can tell you its a little filling.

If you have never seen the Sequoia's go to the Land of a 100 Giants. Nice drive and they have walking trails thought the sequoia's. This will be north of you.

The main attraction is the river. I actually cancelled my trip this year. Low water and heat wave. So we went to Idyllwild instead.

Have a fun trip.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Where in So Cal are you?? I go to Kernville once a year. I stay at Rivernook cg.

I take the 60e to 15n to 395n 178w. The 178 is a little curvy but not a problem at all. My understanding is the 178e from the 5 is very bad and very tight. Not recommended.

I don't know anything about the cg you are staying at but I googled it and its dry camping. So make sure your generator is working because you will need the a/c. It will probably be 100*+.

The river is way down so fishing and rafting will probably be out. The river is usually stocked but with the low water lever the stockers die off due to the high water temps. If you want to fish you'll have to go above the damn. If you do this remember it is barbless hooks. Check the regs for fishing above the damn.

Not much to see or do in Kernville. There is a nice store and a couple of restaurants. Closed to your cg is McNallys Restaurant. Very good for a steak dinner. Order the 40oz porterhouse. I can tell you its a little filling.

If you have never seen the Sequoia's go to the Land of a 100 Giants. Nice drive and they have walking trails thought the sequoia's. This will be north of you.

The main attraction is the river. I actually cancelled my trip this year. Low water and heat wave. So we went to Idyllwild instead.

Have a fun trip.

Jerry
Thx halfprice!! I did notice the dry camping part, not cool.... Yes I will have my Honda companions running most of the time to save some fuel from running the bug Onan. Do you know for sure that the water is way down? I was hoping the family could get some float time in... bummer if not. I guess I could call and ask.. This is going to be our first time going here, we are typically Colorado river people (Emerald Cove) but friends already had this trip planed and we are jumping in with them. We are from Torrance Cali. We will definitely be taking the 405 to the 14 to the 178 and come in from the east. Thx again for the tips!!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
SmittysRV

How bad is the grade on the 178 from the 14? Similar to say the Grapevine or Cajon Pass on the 15? My 5er is pretty heavy and not fun climbing long steep grades. Thx again !!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
halfprice

I've never driven that way but I would guess its similar to Cajon.

Yes the water is low. You maybe able to float tube. Two years ago we tubed and in some spots had to get up and walk through the rocks. The water level was 400-450 cfm. Now its 200 cfm. You are camping much higher than I do so the river maybe different. Either way the water is still wet so if you cant tube you can still play in it.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 07-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
halfprice

I love to fish there so this is info is important to me:

Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Report 6-26-15

Upper Kern ( 20 mile section ) River flows are excellent for wading at this time. Water temperatures in this section are fluctuating between 60 and 70 degrees in this section. If you fish in this section, fish at first light till 10am for best action.

Upper Kern ( 4 mile-Wild Trout Section)Special fishing regulations in this section of the Kern. No bait fishing is allowed and no barbs on your hooks. Water temps cooler here!

Upper Kern ( Forks of the Kern) Special fishing regulations in this section of the Kern. No bait fishing is allowed and no barbs on your hooks. All fish caught over 10 inches must be released. Only 2 fish 10 inches or smaller can be kept in this section.

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I love to fish there so this is info is important to me:

Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Report 6-26-15

Upper Kern ( 20 mile section ) River flows are excellent for wading at this time. Water temperatures in this section are fluctuating between 60 and 70 degrees in this section. If you fish in this section, fish at first light till 10am for best action.

Upper Kern ( 4 mile-Wild Trout Section)Special fishing regulations in this section of the Kern. No bait fishing is allowed and no barbs on your hooks. Water temps cooler here!

Upper Kern ( Forks of the Kern) Special fishing regulations in this section of the Kern. No bait fishing is allowed and no barbs on your hooks. All fish caught over 10 inches must be released. Only 2 fish 10 inches or smaller can be kept in this section.
Great info!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
SmittysRV

I think we are going to go there the same way you do. We will take 178w from the 14n. People are saying on the other forum that it is pretty steep Guess ill find out soon enough. Oh last thing, Is here a place to fill trailer with water there?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
halfprice

I though I read your cg had drinking water. If so I'm sure they have a hose bib. If not I do not know. You may just want to fill at home.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
KSH

I was in Kern about a month ago, we had a great time, river is low but flowing. Stayed in Rivernook, which was a great camp ground, also have stayed in Camp James right next door. James is nicer, Rivernook is good also and big. I've gone up both ways from LA. Shorter way is a little more twists and turns but there are semi trucks that use it so you'll be fine, longer way is straighter but. . Longer. The longer way can also have more wind, last time I had to keep it at around 40mph which made it even longer, saw one tractor trailer on its side, but that was when it was really windy in LA.
The reviews on the other CGs in kern weren't great.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
SmittysRV

Thanks again for all the replies. We ended up having a great time at Fairview Camp Ground. We were able to fit in Camp spot 21. There was no way we could fit in the 40' pull threw spots. 21 is a back in spot and it barely worked. And to get out of the Camp Ground I had to back all the way out. There was no way I could make me turn toward the end of the Lower circle to get out. It wasn't really that bad and ended up working out good. We will still go back as long as we could get spot 21 or maybe 22. Those are the only spots I saw on the south circle that will accommodate 40' + 5th wheel. The water level was high enough to go tubing and there was plenty of water bibs around to fill the trailers fresh water. Peter the host was very friendly and accommodating too! We didn't get to try the Famous 40oz Porter House at McNally's but their lunch burgers were awesome!!! The bar there makes some good drinks also We also did the drive to the Trail of 100 Giants. The kids had a blast there!! As far as the drive, we opted to come in the from the east and took the 405N to the 5N to the 14N to the 178W up over Walker Pass into Isabella. Not a bad drive and the pull up the Walker pass wasn't as bad as I thought. Going west from the 14 was a pretty good tug but coming up over the pass from the west wasn't that bad at all. Gotta watch that down grade speed though. Overall it was a great trip, thx again for all the info!!!

Old 07-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
halfprice

Good it worked out and you had a good time. I have a week reserved at Rivernook for early April. Hopefully we'll have a good winter.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas