Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
grubby

golf carts

Don't know where to put this one so I figured here would be ok, but my wife has decided she wants a golf cart. What does everyone recomend, gas or elect, and how does everyone haul there's. We have a tt so the bed of my truck is where it will have to go, will they fit in the bed of a truck or what should I do
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Most places I have been to do not allow gas engine carts ... check and see if the places you go allow them. Electric seems to be okay but they are heavier I think so you will have to watch your payload. I am sure some of our members that use them can be of more help, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
GaryWT

We use to have one when we were seasonal and loved it. Now that we are traveling again, we realize what a pain they are to everyone else. If I was to get one to travel it would be electric. Gas ones are too loud for most campgrounds. A golf cart will fit in an 8 foot bed but if you have a 6.5 you will not be able to close the tailgate. Weight can be an issue if you do not have a 250 or 350. In addition you may need to have to pay a fee to use at each campground, you will most likely need insurance on it, you will need headlights, tail lights, possibly brake lights and possible a reverse buzzer. Each campground will be different with what they want and if they will allow them.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
Face Down

We take ours with us everywhere they are allowed. Definitely get an electric one as a majority of campgrounds does not allow gas operated models.

Rules vary but you will need headlights and liability insurance.

I prefer a Club Car over EZ-GO as the Club Cars have a aluminum frame that won't rust and are lighter.

Look for a 48V model vs. a 36V one

A non lifted golf cart (stock tires) will fit in a full size short-bed

Every 5-6 years you need a new set of batteries...$600+

If you are going to carry it in the truck...buy yourself a good set of ramps.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Don't know where to put this one so I figured here would be ok, but my wife has decided she wants a golf cart. What does everyone recomend, gas or elect, and how does everyone haul there's. We have a tt so the bed of my truck is where it will have to go, will they fit in the bed of a truck or what should I do
If what you've posted about your trailer (Passport 2890RL) and your truck (F150 5 CC 5.0l) is correct, then I don't think you're going to be able to add the 1100 pounds that a EZGO 48V golf cart weighs. The total length of the shortest EZGO is 94.1", so if you have anything shorter than an 8' bed on your truck, you'd have to leave the tail gate down. Towing with the tailgate down will cause some pretty significant "turning problems" for most situations, not to mention being significantly over your truck's GVW.

If you're looking at this addition, I would think your first order of business is finding a tow vehicle capable of hauling the 1100 additional pounds of cargo in an 8' bed. Otherwise, you're going to open yourself to some significant problems even trying to get it loaded and hitched, not to mention maneuvering in gas stations, campgrounds and even on some highways and city streets.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Rancehood

not to get off topic but, making a point about weight considerations is a great addition to the thread. Those of us using an F-150 pulling some of the larger TT's have to take into consideration. I have the F150 FX2 w/ a 5.0L V8 and being a new owner its something I'm a little paranoid about!
Rancehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Used carts are out there. Check with your local golf course. They probably lease them, but can give you a contact name and phone number.

Be prepared for restrictions, liability insurance etc., licensed drivers only, ... and call ahead to see if they are welcome at all. Some CGs allow carts only with Handicap permit, some not at all.

Definitely go electric.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
SLIMSHADIE

I have been to a few places that restrict gas golf carts. No gas carts after dark, noise. Or no gas carts altogether. So when I get my golf cart, it will be electric for those reasons.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #9
notanlines

And do us all a favor and keep the kids off them or you'll end up being one of "those people" over on Javi's post....."I finally met them."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote