Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
65GTO

New Bullet 272BHS Owner

Hi All:

I am new to the forum as I am new to Keystone.

I am upgrading from a 2005 StarCraft Antigua 215SSO to the Bullet 272BHS. The StarCraft was all pure pleasure for us... never a single issue with it and is still in great excellent condition. It was sold to a nice young family a couple weeks ago that should have as many great years with it as we had (if they take the same care of it).

New Unit; 2015 Bullet 272BHS. Bought from Pete’s RV in VT. Anyone use them before ? I am from eastern MA area. I wanted to buy local, and gave the local dealer every opportunity to come even in the ball-park in terms of cost, but they could not (or would not). I was willing to pay nearly a $1000 more just to keep the sale in my backyard, but they stayed many $1000’s of dollars over Pete’s RV.

I was also hesitant to continue with the purchase of any Keystone product after searching and reading on the web of such horrible build quality and not standing behind their warrantee. I read horrible stories of people left holding the bag on what is clearly a lemon unit after only weeks of use and basically be left out to dry on their own. I said.. no way.. never ever a Keystone after reading these peoples stories.

Then I found this forum which talked be back down off the cliff, enough to continue with the purchase of the 2015 272BHS (the post on no outdoor vent for the stove vent fan almost got me think to cancel the order again… what such an oversight to not have a stove vent going outside). Anyway, I have had much anxiety even as my pick up date nears to still cancel and get my deposit back. My luck is such that if there is a lemon, I will get it for sure. To my credit, I am quite mechanically capable (restore old cars as a hobby) and will much to the dislike of the dealer, go over that unit with a fine tooth comb. Unfort, it is the things you cannot see that will get you after you sign and drive away.

I drive up from MA to VT this Friday to final inspect the unit. Wish me luck.

Also, my tow vehicle is a 2005 Ford Expedition 4x4. Tow capacity 6000 pounds with a 600 hitch weigh w/o distribution (or 850 pounds with weight dist which I plan to use). The 272BHS trailer weight is ~5040 pounds empty with a 540 pound tongue wt. So that too was a concern of mine... the tow vehicle. I did not want to have to buy a new tow vehicle as old as mine may be, it is in near new condition and only has 58k miles on it (we seldom use it except for towing the RV). It will cost a whole lot more to get more towing capacity. In my favor is that I typically travel only about 35 - 65 miles or less each way, pretty flat roads, to go RV’ing. There are a number of nice locations right near our home that work for us. So I do not need to do anything even close to extended towing. Once perhaps each 2 years we head to western Ma, about 120 miles each may. That is a 'big' distance for us relative to how far we usually go.

That tow vehicle consideration kept me away from getting the trailer that I really like and wanted for the long term which is the 2015 Cougar 28RBS (6115 pounds at 895 hitch weight). I almost went for this trailer anyway given the short distances that we travel until such a date that I later perhaps decide to get a pick up truck.

Well.. again.. I inspect the unit this week. Hope that it is not lemon out of the gate or down the road. I have a great deal of anxiety after what I have read about people's horror stories with Keystone
65GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
CFDfireman90

Taken with a grain of salt.

I to am picking up a new 230BHS later this week, and my first camper ever. I have been reading this forum and others since we were starting to think about the purchase. I have read all of the horror stories as well and have come to this conclusion. As is typical you will always hear more complaints than compliments. Therefore I take them with a grain of salt, and use their examples to learn what to look for before I sign on the dotted line. If I am unable to detect an issue when I do the walk through and an issue arises later, that is what the warranty is for.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
dhn

Predelivery Inspection sheet

Welcome, both of you to the forum. Don't know if you all have found this Predelivery Inspection sheet yet but is is great to catch a lot of things before you get off the dealers lot. Enjoy those campers and make some memories.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
65GTO

Pdi

Hi dhn:

Yes... I did find that list about 4 days ago and will be armed with that, as well as my 10 years experience with the StarCraft, and my car restoration, and my carpentry skill all brought to bear on the inspection I am quite sure they will be either not let me inspect it for as long as I plan to, or will be glad to see me go when I finally leave !

Thanks for pointing out the list. Much appreciated. Also from what I read... do not sign until anything I find that needs fixing is fixed even with promises of 'Don't worry... You can have that fixed under warranty at a dealer closer to your home once you get back to MA'. I am going into this under the impression that no one but the dealer that I bought it from will go to bat for me when needed. Unfort, they will be 4 hours away.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
GaryWT

Congrats. We have the Bullet Premier and love it. We are also from Eastern MA and we bought from Flagg. Have looked at trailers from Petes and their prices are always lower when we see them at shows. They also have a place in Indiana, not sure if that helps the pricing.

Just taking a quick look at the numbers, the trailer weighs just over 7,500 lbs that could put your tongue weight in the 800's. Once you load it, add a battery and propane things will be heavier. Be careful what you load in so you don't go over. Not sure what the payload is for the TV but keep an eye on that as well. Good luck, hope Friday goes well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GTO View Post
Hi dhn:

Yes... I did find that list about 4 days ago and will be armed with that, as well as my 10 years experience with the StarCraft, and my car restoration, and my carpentry skill all brought to bear on the inspection I am quite sure they will be either not let me inspect it for as long as I plan to, or will be glad to see me go when I finally leave !

Thanks for pointing out the list. Much appreciated. Also from what I read... do not sign until anything I find that needs fixing is fixed even with promises of 'Don't worry... You can have that fixed under warranty at a dealer closer to your home once you get back to MA'. I am going into this under the impression that no one but the dealer that I bought it from will go to bat for me when needed. Unfort, they will be 4 hours away.
The impression you have is essentially correct. Don't count on anyone but the selling dealer to perform any warranty work for you. These dealers may do the work but your work order will get placed at the very bottom of the pile and it could be sitting there for weeks - or more - when they eventually get around to it. One of the pitfalls of buying "out of town" but you knew the risks of doing that.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
65GTO

Drive up to Pete's tomorrow night

Hi GaryWT:

Thanks for your comments and glad to hear what you think of your Premier.

For clarification, I am buying the Bullet 272BHS at 5,040 pounds. I do realize that adding water, etc, adds weight. We only have 2 of us (me and wife) and travel very light.. very little water for example, as we drink bottled water and we use the showers and the dish washing facilities of the camp ground. So I am confident I can keep the trailer about 5500 pounds +/-. Towing capacity is rated 6000 pounds on the 2005 Expedition. I really did want (and still do) to buy the 2015 Cougar 28RBS... but it is over my tow limit on tong weight.

Anyway... we drive up tomorrow night (Thurs) from eastern MA to Pete's RV. Spend the night. I have already put them on notice that I plan to spend the whole day inspecting it that is what i feel I need. They do not have to be with me the whole time of course... but I plan to be very through.

Flagg RV is actually only about 18 minutes from my house. Too bad they were over $3k more than Pete's for the same trailer. As I noted... I tried to work with them, I would even go ab extra $1000 to stay local. But they just did not have any flexibility in their prices and at ~~ $3k more, it was just too much a $$$ diff.

Thanks again. I'll post some pics from VT
Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
GaryWT

Hope it all goes well. Not a bad drive for $3k. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Welcome... and enjoy the forum! Lots of good info, advice, and friendship here.

We have quite a bit in common. Camping, previous unit "StarCraft", and... your Handle intrigues me.

Fresh out of the Navy, way back when... '65 GTO Rag-top. Black with a Red Gut, White top, and an attitude much bigger than it's 389ci, posi-trac, dual quads, and Goodyear RedLine Tires!

Wish I still had it!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
tailpipe

We like our 272 BHS seems to be very solid for a lightweight. I would go across a scale full of gas trailer loaded with everything all passengers included check your GCVW see how you line up with the vehicles specifications. I would check the hitch set up...again......brakes.....tires.....and enjoy yourself....I always like to change flush all fluids in the tow vehicle put the tires at maximum pressure or a little less, torque all lugs. I think you will like the trailer ... I did not completely read the posts....if this is duplication of info consider it confirmation
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
65GTO

Got it !!!

Hi All: Been busy since I picked up the new 2015 Bullet 272BHS 2 weekends ago. Thanks all for the posts. I will update this tread with some pictures and 1st impressions of our new 272BHS.

BTW.. for the 65 rag top post... yes.. I am a 65 GTO owner. It was (true story) the very 1st car I ever bought. My mom (yes... that is correct... my mom) was a single mom with 4 children (due to a useless dead beat dad) but that never stopped our family from having a ball growing up. We had a mom (passed away just a few weeks ago after a long illness... miss her terribly) that was a blast and a gear-head. She purchased a new muscle car during the fall model intros about every 2 years. You name it, she had it. GTO's, rag top tri-power 442's, Chevelle SS's, an Impala 409, a Mach I mustang. We all would go to drag races on the weekends and more than a few times she would lay the foot down at the traffic light (us kids all in te back seat) if someone challenged her to a race. That is just the way it was back in the 60's. Drag racing was 'hip', she would hang out with us at the local car hop on Friday nights drinking A&W root beers and popcorn with us, all the hot rodders there too. So it was a natural when in the 7th grade I saw a 65 GTO sitting for months in a yard going no place, I said i wanted to buy that car. After a month plus of tormenting her each time we passed the car, one day she pulled into the driveway and said... 'well I am sick of listening to you... go knock on the door and see if they want to sell it.' i went. i knocked, and to her surprise, I came back 15 min later with an agreement to buy the car for $70 (the owner explained he had the car for drag racing use only, and he had thrown a rod at that last outing to New England Dragway'. He was impressed with my drag racing knowledge in no small part due to my mom, and so sold me the car. That was over 40 years ago and I still have that GTO.

Anyway.. back to the bullet. My wife thinks I am weird as I have been sleeping in it each night since we got it home 2 weeks ago. Hey.. testing everything out.. and i like the peace and quiet of being alone out there !!! ha ha.

I will write about my 1st impressions and post some pics.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150418_114807[1].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	8477   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150418_114853[1].jpg
Views:	124
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	8478  
Old 08-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
RFM

Premier bullet is the best

We had ours 26' since one year,
And wow, what a TT all people that visit say it looks like a fifth wheel

We like is sooo much.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	9308
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
RFM

Premier on the road

It rides so well, like if you do not hitch anything.
RFM is offline   Reply With Quote