Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
Jlwright

Thumbs down TV mount issue!

I decided to add a small flat screen TV in the bedroom of my new Springdale fifth wheel yesterday. There is a cable connection and power outlet in the ceiling right above a sticker that says LCD TV bracket location. There is absolutely nothing in that wall except the very thin plywood paneling and styrofoam insulation. I used a stud finder and could not find anything solid anywhere in the whole wall. There is no way a bracket will stay on that wall. I now have several small holes in the wall where I tried to find anything solid. After that I decided to check the TV mount on the rear wall where the factory installed the large flat screen TV. Only one screw was in the support plywood. The other three screws were in the less than 1/8 thick paneling and were stripped. I was able to lower the TV by about 2-1/2 inches and get all screws into a solid surface. Pretty bad workmanship. I guess all their Amish workers they brag about must have gone back to building barns.
Jlwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
wahoonc

I think the guy putting the backer and the guy putting the sticker on are working different shifts...

I have a Coleman 16FBS built by Keystone. They mounted the block too low, using a standard mount I could only get 2 of 4 lags into the block.

I have seen more than one TV pull out of the wall due to the lack of proper blocking.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
GaryWT

The one time I installed a tv I found a bracket that only had 2 screws so if you had a stud it was easy to put the 2 screws in that stud. The 2 pieces of the bracket slid together so I would place the tv on the bed when travelling and slide it into the bracket when we arrived, worked out great. Sometimes you just have to make due.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Have to use toggles to spread the weight across a larger surface. Granted the wall is still thin, but LCD TVs don't weigh much.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Jlwright

That is what I used thinking a big toggle would hold but it just pulled this clean rectangular hole right through the plywood. The LCD TV was just a little 18 inch TV.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright View Post
That is what I used thinking a big toggle would hold but it just pulled this clean rectangular hole right through the plywood. The LCD TV was just a little 18 inch TV.
How many toggles did you use?

If you already have a hole, you could cut it just a bit larger (keep the piece) fish a 1x4 board through the hole so you have at least 6" above and below the hole (push it up into the wall, then bring it down so it is centered). Screw the wall to the 1x, then replace the piece you cut out. That would give you a nice piece of wood to attach your bracket. The bracket would cover the hole you cut, and you would have a large backer board distributing the weight of the TV over a VERY large area in comparison to what you have now. Should be more than enough to support an 18" LCD.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Jlwright

I had 3 toggle bolts. The wall is a sandwich of thin plywood and Styrofoam bead material and the outer skin which is a glued up assembly. Getting all the Styrofoam cleared out would be a pain. I am thinking about making a telescoping shelf out of a pool brush pole and putting large padded ends on it. The TV bracket would be attached at the proper height. It would be on the floor and pushed up gently against the ceiling. It could be stored easily on the floor beside the bed when traveling and the TV on the bed.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of people who have "solved" their TV mounting problem by building a plywood placard (say 12"x18") that spans the studs in the walls, mounted the placard to the studs, then mounted the TV mount to that placard. Just a thought, but if you could construct it to "somewhat match" the cabinets, it wouldn't stand out too much for most people's "sensibilities"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Jlwright

I can't even find a stud anywhere in the wall in the bedroom. It like the wall is just made from the plywood, insulation, and outside wall. I wish I could see a drawing of how the wall is made.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to the Keystone website http://www.keystonerv.com/brochure-archive

download the 2011 Springdale west brochure, on page 8 you'll find an "artist's rendition" of the side wall structure of the Springdale fifth wheel.

Remember that the Springdale fifth wheel is NOT constructed like the travel trailer models. It's a "hybrid" with wood floor and ceiling, aluminum "laminated" sidewalls which are held in place by wooden front and rear construction. Because of the "weight considerations" the wall studs are not assembled with any "space considerations" as in conventional building. There certainly is no 16" or 24" spacing. It's more like a "drunk wobbled" around, laying out studs, someone poured Styrofoam on them and laid some filon over the top. Once they got the window openings right, they started building all the rest the same way......

Hopefully, that picture in the 2011 brochure will give you some idea of what you're facing. Also remember that on a cool, damp morning, before the sun hits your RV sidewall, you may be able to see the dew collected on the studs. That dew will "mark" the location probably better than a stud finder will......

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
talk2cpu

To find the "studs" in my Passport I parked it with the sun beating on the outside wall and found them with a cheap laser temperature handheld sensor. They stood out really well.
Tom
Old 02-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
Jlwright

The webpage doesn't pull up.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

It just worked for me. Go to the Keystone home page. KeystoneRV.com and click on the "Find it Fast" Brochure Archive (3rd tab about 1/3 of the way down the home page) then click on the 2011 Springdale West link.

http://www.keystonerv.com/brochure-archive

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 AM   #14
Jlwright

I am using the mobile version on an IPad. When I get to work I will pull it up on a regular computer and I bet it will come up. Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Jlwright

I found the web page and see the frame is aluminum and not wood. Looks like there are metal studs on either side of the bedroom windows and I will bet there is one right in line with the bedroom, bathroom wall. The problem is there is no way to use that stud as it is flush with the wall. I sent an Email to Keystone but of course it was ignored. I'll figure out something but ia sure hate it that I have an ugly place on the wall wher the toggle bolts pipped through. Maybe a good place for a picture.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #16
Steve S

In one of my threads I have a detailed photo's on how it's done. I would never trust the backer board that's behind there nor would I use inserts in the thin panels.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #17
joepremier26'

Cool [B]TV Bracket Mount[B][/B][/B]

I had same problem with new 26RBPR. Told camping world to do it, thank god they quoted me a price before installing it. $69.00 for bracket and $129.00 for labor. I told them no thanks. Did it myself for a $50.00 bracket. Looks good and is solid. I guess I got lucky with finding the stud, I used a very small bit to
locate it and then used two 1/4" wood thread hex bolts to secure it. Will put pics on when I can. Installed a 19" tv on wall.
joepremier26' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #18
Campy

My camper had the aluminum stud just to the right of the "mount TV here" sticker. I found it with a very tiny drill bit since I knew the mount would hide the holes.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #19
Micah.TX

"More than one way to skin a cat..."

Putting holes in my TT wall to mount a tv scares the ---- out of me. I've decided to hang a small screen tv on the back of the sliding door of my Passport 2890RL. I'll string a wire between the mount holes on the back of the tv, using the screws to secure the wire like a picture frame. A 24" flat screen only weighs about 8 lbs. So hanging it on a couple of coat hooks should work OK. Of course, will take it down when traveling. Like others, I have an a/c outlet and cable connection in the corner, but no sticker saying mount here. Also, no sign of a stud in the wall. However, the shower is directly on the other side. See my fear? I'll let you know how it works. Will do so probably next week or two.
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote