Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
kcboard

Off Season storage indoor vs outdoor

Hi,
First time RV owners, picking up our new 2015 Bullet 31BHPR TT next weekend! We love reading everyone's tips and suggestions on this forum.

Would love your opinions on where to store our TT in the offseason. We live in Chicago (there will be snow and below zero temperatures). We only plan to use the TT April- October and we'll store it at a RV dealer 5 minutes from our house during that time when not in use. Because of the convenience factor, we would love to store it here year round. We are debating storing it in a pole barn/hanger during the winter months; however, that would be twice the price and farther away. We are trying to weigh the pros/cons of storing the unit indoors (non-heated) verses at the RV dealer uncovered year round. Of course the RV dealer's opinion is that their inventory is stored outdoors and does perfectly fine, but I'm still skeptical.

Thank you!
kcboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
wahoonc

Indoor trumps outdoors every time. If a leak develops while it is stored outside it can ruin a unit in very short time. Indoors not going to happen. Also being stored inside will slow down the weathering process, keeping it new looking longer. My current trailer is sitting 4' off my back porch. Barn is going up in the spring.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
bsmith0404

Indoors can be expensive, but it is so nice. No black streaks, no fading, no winter grime to clean up, and as already mentioned, no worries about leaks or damage from other elements. We have ours inside, every time I go deal with it I look at the ones sitting outside, faded and dirty, I don't mind one bit paying for the inside storage.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Murphsmom

Ours is outdoors, but under a covered storage area. Wish we still had that huge shop to store it in, but you take what you can get.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Ours is indoors in our pole barn. The Chicago area is much like here, bitter cold, snow, ice and not "friendly" winter weather. I'd opt for indoor storage if it's an option. Water, when it freezes can cause significant damage if it's inside a crack or crevice. RV's are filled with cracks and crevices that hold water and can be damaged without you noticing it through the winter. That can lead to some pretty expensive repair bills once you realize it's been leaking all winter..... Indoors prevents that from happening.

As for the "dealer's logic" he's right, his inventory sits outside, but remember, his inventory is sold and leaves the lot on an annual basis or sooner. Your "personal inventory" is going to be around for several years or even longer. Protecting your investment isn't the same as him "moving the inventory"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
GaryWT

Ours is outside in the yard year round. Would like to have it under cover but that will not happen anytime soon. If you have the option they why not but not absolutely necessary.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
theeyres

There is no doubt inside will be better than outside if you can afford it. We lived in Eastern Oregon for 20 years, snowy, cold, freezing temps all winter, wind and left it outside because we couldn't afford otherwise and wanted it next to our house. We never had a problem with it. We are now in AZ and still have it stored outside despite the searing heat in summers and blazing sun year around. I'd put it indoors but just can't afford the big bucks. So far no problem.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote