Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Flyguy

Smokey Mountains National Park

My wife and I like to camp in the Smokies, our favorite campground is Elkmount, there are three major campgrounds to the best of my knowledge, Elkmont-TN, Smokemont-NC, and Cades Cove-TN. Of course there are no hook-ups at any of these sites so your basically "Boon-Docking" it but that's ok, we like the peace and quiet and the ocasional animal siteings. When our children were little, we would teach them how to conserve water by having them haul out the grey water and haul in the fresh water, it didn't take long before they were conserving water as much as possible (gosh we were mean parents). Two of the three sites have dump stations on the premesis (Cades Cove and Smokemont) I wish Elkmont had one too, they do have a location to dump grey water though (it's still our favorite campground). You can apply for a senior pass if your 62 or older, and that's good for a 50% discount on the camping fees
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have never been to that part of your country but would really like to spend some time there. Have read and seen many good things about it. You mentioned the "senior pass" and, although I am not a resident of any state or the USA, I am wondering if a non-resident (Canadian) qualifies to get one? Could you steer me onto a website that might give me some information about applying and application policies?? Richard
Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Flyguy

Here's the website for the pass info: http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm I think it only covers US citizens, gee, since we are giving illegal aliens all kinds of free benefits, the least our government can do is give Canadians a senior pass, don't you think? No seriously. I think the camping fee is $18 to $20 a night depending on the campground.
Timbrens
Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Flyguy:
Thanks for sending me the website. I checked out the application details and out of the three requirements, I meet one ...... the age criteria (62+). You are right ... I would have to be a US citizen and a permanent resident. One out of three isn't too bad.
Not being able to qualify doesn't dampen my enthusiasm however for visiting and staying in the National Parks in your area. I will keep these 3 in mind should I ever get there. Richard
Old 06-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Flyguy

I think you can get the annual pass ($80) good for a year to any national park, this includes parks that are closer to you.
Timbrens
Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Maniac

Festus2, hey neighbor, remember you from keystone site. When you are ready to come and see our neck of the, just let me know an you can use my address You would love it done here in the spring and fall
Old 06-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, I do remember you from the old Keystone site ---- glad to have you back on another Keystone forum. We are in the process of revamping the forum - doing some upgrades and mods. Hope you stay with us and we are looking forward to your posts. I will remember your offer and if we ever get down there, you can be sure I will look you up.
Richard
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Maniac

I might not do much posting, but I sure do learn a whole lot more just reading haha.. Besides, I added a second a/c in the bedroom 13.5 just because it gets hot here