Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
vampress_me

Dreaming about next summer - Ithaca, NY

Does anyone have any suggestions of campgrounds near Ithaca? Wanting to head out there next summer for about a week or two and would love ideas of where to stay.

Also, if there are any pointers that are good to know for driving out there on the toll roads with a fifth wheel, I would appreciate it. I'm a little nervous heading east since I usually head west from MN, not to the East Coast.

Thank you!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
GaryWT

What is in Ithaca that you are heading to? Just wondering as I never thought of it as a destination. Sorry, I have never camped near there.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
therink

I have stayed at 3 campgrounds in Ithaca. Treman State Park- Beautiful State Park with a small gorge and swimming area under the falls. There are a lot of sites but only two loops with electric. No sewer or water at any sites. You can run a hose from nearby shared faucet to fill your tank. there is one dump station.
Taughannock Falls State Park- another beautiful park with very limited electric sites (maybe 20), shared water faucets and one dump station. All electric sites are not big rig friendly. Awesome gorge trails and walking distance to Cayuga Lake, boat rentals, swimming, etc.
Spruce Row Campsite- private campground. Strayed there a few years ago for one night. The place was a dump. It was run down with dumpy trailers, bad water, etc. Maybe it has changed but I doubt it. I wont stay there again.
My vote would be Treman.
There is also Cayuga Lake State Park. I havent stayed there but heard it was nice.
Ithaca in general is a great City with lots of summer activities and a great Farmers Market.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
greengiant

Two votes for Treman-great park. They started constructing a new loop with a few water and electric sites, but as of this fall, they either aren't fininshed or haven't made it onto reserveamerica. Park is only a couple miles from Ithaca.

Cayuga Lake SP is a bit larger, and would have dry sites to fit larger units. They may have electric sites on the Lake side of the main road (park is on both sides). If you like boating, this one has access right to Cayuga Lake, beach area, fishing area, etc. Not much for hiking here. Only one dump station that will back up on holiday weekends. (as of 2010).
The OP may be interested in Ithaca because it is in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. Very beautiful area, lots of gorges to hike, wineries to visit, and long, deep, lakes carved out by glaciers.

Watkins Glen SP is another nice one, but not a lot of options for big rigs. Similar to Taughannock and Treman for hiking and gorges. Its about 20 miles west of Ithaca.

Keuka Lake SP is also nice if you are just interested in the Finger Lakes Region and not specifically being in Ithaca.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
What is in Ithaca that you are heading to? Just wondering as I never thought of it as a destination.
My DH is working there and will be next summer too. I thought it would be fun to head that way and see the area with the kiddos.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
chris199

Ithaca is a great destination. Lots of hiking...beautiful gorges, waterfalls, hiking, etc. We stayed at Pine Creek CG...has full hookups. It is literally right around the corner from Treman SP.
If you are into wine...wineries galore in the area. Finger lakes nearby...great for a Sunday drive.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
vampress_me

Thank you! Hubby now has the names to check them out for us when he has a chance. And to check if there are sites I would be comfortable backing in to, in other words no trees for at least a 15' width to back between since I don't think I'm that great at backing up yet. Someday, hopefully I will have that ability!

Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
GaryWT

Sounds like fun, hope you find a nice place.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote