Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Camping Gator

Cool Ugly Decor

We are looking at new travel trailers, specifically the Bullet. The decor options are hideous! I find this to be so no matter what brand we look at. It is almost keeping me from purchasing one. The interiors are very dark. Charcoal grays, browns, black, and dark cabinets. Floors are mottled tile or ugly wood simulation. No pretty wood patterns or lighter options. Complaining to the companies will probably not make a difference. It would be nice if more options would be available. As it us now, the flooring and carpet are the same, no natter which option you choose, and the other options are fairly close in color. I'm sure these will look more dated than the trailers built in the 70's!
Camping Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The flooring, carpeting, walls and usually the countertops are all the same. The only differences are the upholstery, drapery and that 10" print boarder around the middle of the main cabin.

We had a 1972 Harvest truck camper that had orange countertops, bright green drapery and bright blue upholstery in a "modified square donut" pattern. The outside was white and the windows were "mill finish" aluminum as was the door trim, rear bumper and jack supports. We installed it on a 1972 Dodge "Camper Special" that was avocado and white with a subdued green vinyl seat.

At the time, it looked like nearly every other truck camper around, and we were satisfied. Would we choose that color scheme today? Nope, but we also wouldn't choose the pink and blue that was so "infamously popular" in Holiday Ramblers in the early/mid 90's.

I also remember a bright yellow countertop/bathroom counter/cabinet color scheme in our Airstream. It had beige walls, dark brown upholstery and black appliances. Oh, and a subdued orange shag carpet. At least there weren't any "square donuts" in it LOL

RV interior designers try to build a "not obnoxious" color palette that usually "nobody likes" but few "dispise".... That's success in "pleasing the masses" when it comes to RV décor.

I don't know of anyone who "fell in love with their RV decor' but few refuse to buy because it's so hideous.....

Keep looking, maybe you'll find one with the colors you like. Just hope that the construction goes along with what's acceptable as well. If it comes to a decision between the two, a can of paint is easier to apply than a new interior wall, cabinets and roof should they "fall apart"...

I guess it's what's important to each of us, eh?

They are what they are

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #3
{tpc}

Like what was said above, to each their own. My thought, when looking at color schemes, was that they all appeared to be darker based on what it is, and where it would be. IE, its a trailer, and its going to be at campgrounds and such. Essentially I think they pick colors based on whats going to do the best job at hiding dirt, lol.

What the reality is, who knows. They probably base color schemes on whatever their buyers can get for the cheapest price. I'm sure they make only a limited number of any given model year, so someone is going to buy it at some point.

We were lucky. There were two color schemes that the DW and I both could deal with. The unit the dealer had in stock had one of them. Wasn't our first choice but it is what it is.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
koko

We had a Shasta in the 70s with an interior décor very similar to those of today. Nothing changes much - very dark cabinets and very dark material. I have seen valances that are downright hideous, wood trim that is gaudy, even on the most expensive travel trailers and motorhomes. However, there are so many things that can be done to lighten things up - attractive, light-colored bedspreads, colorful accent pillows, shams, floor rugs, etc. We at least try to stick with a look that is kind of timeless like stripes, geometric patterns or plaids when we buy a camper. We actually prefer brown tones. They go with everything.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
Andymon

We found that almost everything we looked at from 2008 to 2010 had the best colors.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
GaryWT

It is the same choice for everyone. We liked the "wood" floor look when they changed to it. Our furniture is a beige so no dark but for the most part, we are camping, are not in the camper but to sleep and then the light are out so we do not see anything. As said earlier, darker hides the dirt better and you do tend to drag in dirt while camping.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Kristi

Some of the décor is really bad, but as others have mentioned we picked the floorplan we loved & the rest we can live with. A few accent pillows, curtains, bedding & area rugs make a big difference. At least with the neutral color schemes they are easy to match.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
bsmith0404

We actually love the dark cherry cabinets, leather furniture, and the filed stone look flooring in our Alpine. I'm not sure if they still do it, but Outback used to use white cabinets. I hated the look, but to each their own.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
vampress_me

I also really like our interior. The medium/dark cabinets and darker furniture works. We have had natural finish hickory cabinets and light-colored trim at home for 15 years, and I like the change in wood color in the camper. I did strongly dislike the bedroom and bunk window valances it came with, so made my own to match my quilt and couch pillow. All better now.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Furry_people

Our Bullet has the "charcoal" theme. Love it!
Furry_people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
neveser

We've got the Saddle interior and we're happy with it. Charcoal would have been our second choice. I don't think we would have bought one with the Dune interior. Definitely ugly. One salesman we talked to said they wouldn't order any more units with that color scheme because they were hard to sell. He said the last one they had sat on the lot for over a year before they could get rid of it. I noticed may places that are selling the Dune interiors are selling them for a few bucks less.

I like the darker wood. It gives the trailer a warmer more inviting feel. Lighter colors feel like an office. Colder and less inviting.
neveser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
GaryWT

Funny, we have the Dune, love it. That is the color the wife wanted. Waiting for a trailer to come in with that color.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
moniteaufarm

we just bought a new-to-us 2012 Cougar with the Autumn color scheme and really like it - cherry cabinets, beige carpet. More carpet than I like, but, you can't have everything I guess. Bedspread is awful fabric, so substituted our own quilt. Valances are really nice
moniteaufarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Bob Landry

When we bought our Outback, the color scheme we wanted was in the brochure, but the dealer told us it had just been discontinued. When I told him, so was this transaction, he did an about face and about 6 weeks later we had a trailer with the color scheme we wanted.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
wesaysoracing

I bought the saddle interior , I really have not noticed the interior as I am usually out side when camping and its dark when I am inside sleeping
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote