Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
lifecamper

Another LED question?

I've read the sticky and everything else I can find but the question still arises....which bulb to buy? I have found a package of 20 on ebay for around $25. They are a 921 base which will work in my Springdale but they say they are soft white and can be used for tail lights ??????? I don't want the lights in my RV to fry my retinas. I have seen a digital dimmer for LED's that might help but it is all very confusing. What ever happened to watage/lumans? Any help would be appreciated.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Bluewater

I look for at least 24 led's on each unit to have enough brightness but 30 is even better but harder to find. These usually have a yellow look to each led but come on as natural lite. These are not to hard to find on ebay at the price you have listed. Good luck.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecamper View Post
I've read the sticky and everything else I can find but the question still arises....which bulb to buy? I have found a package of 20 on ebay for around $25. They are a 921 base which will work in my Springdale but they say they are soft white and can be used for tail lights ??????? I don't want the lights in my RV to fry my retinas. I have seen a digital dimmer for LED's that might help but it is all very confusing. What ever happened to watage/lumans? Any help would be appreciated.
The LED sticky does not contain any specific bulb to purchase since those that are advertised on ebay and Amazon are constantly changing. Product numbers, vendors, and prices are "all over the place" and we would be forever updating the sticky to keep abreast of the changes on ebay and Amazon.

Soft white, for many, is a good choice. I'd buy a small number of LED lights and try them out to see if they are suitable for you and do not "fry your retinas". They are quite cheap so you could try one or two of several lights and after some experimentation, order a larger quantity. Some vendors and sites include lumens but most do not. If you narrow your search, you should be able to come up with the lumens as part of the specs.

There are tons of posts/threads here on the forum about LED lights to keep you occupied for quite some time. A forum search could be "enlightening".

Have fun.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
LiteFoot

here

These are the best ones I have found for the money. About $5 a piece, but as bright as stock with a nice warm tent. Reputable ebay seller too.

http://tinyurl.com/kuhnpyu

Ryan
LiteFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
berg

Lifecamper - you "could" use them in your tail lights I bet is what the ads are referring to. They tend to word them to be a catch all.

Bright white can definitely be harsh compared to the warm white. But with the diffusers over them throughout the coach I bet it wouldn't be bad at all. For $20 to do almost the whole thing - why not give it a shot? Lot cheaper of an experiment than $5 ea...

For external lights, such as tail lights, sure - more (brighter) is better. You can fry the retinas in the guy who's following you too closely.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
SkiSmuggs

I bought a package of tens and 24s, I think. I found the ten LED lights brighter and used them in the ceiling. The 24s were not as bright and I used them for bed reading lamps and under counter lights.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
audio1der

I used 48s everywhere as replacements. I find we don't need as many lights on now, but because they fit under the factory light diffusers they are not harsh at all. Win-win (and about a buck each, bought extras in case some don't work which I'm OK with at that price).
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
berg

Another thread revival-

Interested in the supplier of the brighter LEDs. I've tried 2 different suppliers (off eBay granted) and neither one is working out.

The first set of 24 SMD Leds were too much like a laboratory light - bright white.

The next set of warm white were just too dim and still a bit "laboratory-ish".

I've wasted at least $30 now on these stupid cheap lights. Ready to buy the right ones and be done with it.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Everyone has a different "tolerance" for LED lighting. Some think the "bright blue" lights are best, some like the "soft yellow" lighting. There really is no "right or wrong" answer. It's more a matter of personal preference than a technical decision.

These are the LED panels that we bought for our Springdale and transferred them to the Cougar when we traded fifth wheels. They are bright and more or less a "compromise" between the "bright white" and "soft yellow". For us, they seem to be closest to the incandescent lights and slightly more light, but not really a "glaring light". We have 3 overhead "dual bulb" fixtures in the main cabin, with incandescents we used all three, now with the LED's we only use two for normal lighting and 3 when we want "a lot of light".

These are shipped from China, you can buy 2, and if you like them and they are what you're looking for, then you can order them in packs of 10. They are $3.60 sold individually and $31.27 sold in packs of 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-BA9S-T10-...item2a1d027cc4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Warm-Whi...item27c6ff7cac
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
mikell

Found another place with cheap ones. I have all I need and have bought stuff from the company without complaints. They even have a remote motion sensor I can use on Christmas displays!!

http://www.banggood.com/buy/12v-led-light-bulbs.html
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Everyone has a different "tolerance" for LED lighting. Some think the "bright blue" lights are best, some like the "soft yellow" lighting. There really is no "right or wrong" answer. It's more a matter of personal preference than a technical decision.

These are the LED panels that we bought for our Springdale and transferred them to the Cougar when we traded fifth wheels. They are bright and more or less a "compromise" between the "bright white" and "soft yellow". For us, they seem to be closest to the incandescent lights and slightly more light, but not really a "glaring light". We have 3 overhead "dual bulb" fixtures in the main cabin, with incandescents we used all three, now with the LED's we only use two for normal lighting and 3 when we want "a lot of light".

These are shipped from China, you can buy 2, and if you like them and they are what you're looking for, then you can order them in packs of 10. They are $3.60 sold individually and $31.27 sold in packs of 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-BA9S-T10-...item2a1d027cc4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Warm-Whi...item27c6ff7cac
I have replaced all my single and double fixtures with these LED's in warm white. They are very good. Only place I have a problem is the one I put above my stove in the stove vent. The heat from the stove has caused some of the LED's to die or start flashing. So I am going to replace it then put a 1/4 inch thick piece of plexiglass/lexan over it to help keep the direct heat from it.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote