Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Donkey teeth

Wiring for solar panels

I am interested in getting a solar panel (or two) and have been researching how to wire the solar kit. There is a video on youtube about connecting the wiring to the positive and negative wires on the back of the converter/breaker panel, and not wiring directly to the batteries.
It looks fairly simple and easier than moving panels and chasing wires.
I am wondering if anyone has tried this way of hooking up the solar panels, or if it is better to wire directly to the batteries.
I have heard its better to run/hook the wires close to the batteries. We have an 2013 Outback 210RS, so I don't think we will have to worry too much about "losing" power due to the length of the cables if I did hook up directly to the batteries.
Any thoughts?
Donkey teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have a single, 85w solar panel which is wired directly to the batteries. There is, of course, a regulator wired between the panel and the batteries so as to monitor and control/regulate the charge applied to the batteries.

I ran a 20 ft 12AWG wire from the panel to the regulator and then to the batteries. Unlike most, my solar panel is not mounted on the roof. I really didn't want any more holes drilled in the roof in order to mount it. Instead, I store it in a slotted L-shaped holder which is fastened to the top of the storage compartment. I simply slide it out and place it on a "sandwich board" which I can move about so as to catch as much sunlight as possible. It does take a very small amount of "work and time" to do this but my wife says that it keeps me out of mischief in the campground. Otherwise, I'd just be sitting around having a cool one.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
randy69

Will solar power voltage back feed to the power converter battery tricke charger?

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote