Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
Wanted to thank you for posting this thread, it was a great help for me figuring out which way to go as far as hitches are concerned with my new Toy Hauler purchase....I have been researching for months!

My two main concerns with the Goose Box were the 16K# weight and 3200# pin ratings and what using one (if anything) would do to my RV warranty. The Carbon 357 that I just purchased has a max GVWR of 16.5k (12780 dry) and a hitch weight of 3060#'s (@GVWR). Never thought I would put the 3600#'s in the Carbon to get all the way to max GVWR, but I was a little worried that I would be right on the ragged edge of the Goose Box capacities if I did. To my delight, just recently, Reese/LCI came out with a beefier version of the Goose Box rated at 20K# capacity /4000# hitch weight. Also I did call Keystone directly and spoke with the East Coast Sales Rep and he did in fact confirm that the use of the Reese Goose Box will not void the warranty of the unit....

So I took the plunge...just got it installed last night and looking forward to pulling with it to see how it does. My 2006 F350 came with a Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball already installed, it is going to be nice to keep the bed clear and get a better connection between the TV and TH than just a standard 5th wheel pin box. I also ordered chains...not even sure if they are required in NC but they will give me a little piece of mind.
I will report back myself on my experience over the many trips we have planned for the summer.

You did the right thing buying those chains. NC DOT requires chains on ANY ball mounted trailer.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #22
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
You did the right thing buying those chains. NC DOT requires chains on ANY ball mounted trailer.

Steve
Man, the thought of 16.5K + worth of 5er dragging behind on chains is... scary

-Brian
Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #23
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Man, the thought of 16.5K + worth of 5er dragging behind on chains is... scary

-Brian
True dat!! But the nice thing about 2600#'s sitting on top off a ball, it doesn't want to come off very easily!!
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #24
Quad

Reese Goosebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
True dat!! But the nice thing about 2600#'s sitting on top off a ball, it doesn't want to come off very easily!!

Your right it doesn't, and it has a hinged lip that rotates and locks on the underside of the of the ball also. It would take a strong force to break the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #25
Hans Jr

hmmmm, now im curious what the ride difference would be with this box over the B&W 5th wheel hitch I currently have installed. Tempting. Thanks for all the info posted so far. Who knows, I may just change it out. I already have the goose ball and a few other adapters for the B&W setup in the truck.
2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #26
Desert185

Before you buy, another option is the www.andersenhitches.com Gooseneck Ultimate 24,000# hitch. The aluminum version only weighs ~35# and would be less money than buying the Goosebox (and less installation labor) if you already have the ball in the bed.

The Goosebox is a great option, but the Andersen might be worth a look.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
Quad

I would agree. If I had known about the Anderson hitch before I bought the goosebox I would have given it a hard look. Much cheaper, and a clear bed too. But I can't say I'm unhappy with the goosebox. It's expensive, but the air ride is awesome lol

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #28
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Jr View Post
hmmmm, now im curious what the ride difference would be with this box over the B&W 5th wheel hitch I currently have installed.
I am not a very good judge of ride quality as it has been years since I have pulled a 5er...we just upgraded from a 35' tow behind that we had for 12 years. But I did have a 5er for a couple of years before that and it was setup with a basic pin-box and Reese 16K hitch. I do remember the "chucking" motion of that 5er on certain sections of I-95 and sometimes quite a bit of bounce, sea-sawing motion. I was also pulling that 5er with a 99 F250. All that said, I was extremely happy with how the Goose Box connection felt as it was very comfortable on my 110 mile trip. No bounce, no chucking at least on this inaugural tow. I did "jump" a bit the first (and only) time the pressure relief valve adjusted itself...that was kinda loud with the rear slider window open in the truck.

I had quite the interest in the Goose Box from nearby campers, I was barley unhooked when the guy two spots down came up wanting to know what it was.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #29
Hans Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Before you buy, another option is the www.andersenhitches.com Gooseneck Ultimate 24,000# hitch. The aluminum version only weighs ~35# and would be less money than buying the Goosebox (and less installation labor) if you already have the ball in the bed.

The Goosebox is a great option, but the Andersen might be worth a look.
ok so what am i looking for on that link? Just a little confused. I have a 5th wheel with a pin. and I have a B&W 5th wheel hookup in my bed. Does anderson make a conversion to not have to replace the box on the 5er to connect to a ball?

sorry if this is simple, im just a little lost in what to look for on their site.
2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #30
Quad

Here is the link to the product itself. Also some pictures that may help.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...onnection.aspx

Old 05-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #31
Desert185

The picture shows the gooseneck version, which has a 24,000# capacity. They also make a version that mounts to rails that has aslightly lower capacity.

There are videos on the site that explain it all. Thanks, Quad, for the pics.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote