Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
cozycamper

Sprinter mattress fails

We really like our 2014 Sprinter 266RBS but you spend thousands of dollars and I know Keystone has to make a profit but they could put a good mattress in the camper to sleep on. After just six weeks we purchased a new mattress...$468.00. The old mattress looked like two big dips with a ridge in the middle and it was 4" wider thru the middle. That's all I have to say.
cozycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

cozycamper -
Mattress companies make a fortune from disgruntled and very "uncozy" campers like yourself who, after a couple of sleeps on the supplied mattress, quickly go looking for a replacement. We are both testaments to that.

Keystone folks don't have to sleep on their OEM mattresses. To be fair, just about all RV manufacturers put the same, cheap, uncomfortable mattress in all their units.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

x3. I have never bought a new RV with a "good" mattress. No matter the brand or the price of the RV, the mattress is one of the things both of us find needs replacing in short order.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
EcoBullet

That is sort of ridiculous isn't it? We bought a 3" memory foam topper at Wal-Mart for our first trailer in 2008 and moved it along to our 2011 Bullet. We slept on it for 22 nights in January/early February and it was more comfortable than our mattress at home. We just bought a 2014 Premier and moved the pad again.
EcoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
f6bits

My stick house didn't come with a mattress. My bed frame didn't even come with a mattress. I had to shop around for a mattress that was just right for us.

I think that no matter what mattress came with the trailer, 90% of people would think it's too hard or too soft. For a lot less money, Keystone now has a mattress that 99% of their customers won't like.

For those who rave about their Sleep Number mattresses, we stayed at a hotel that had them and I wasn't impressed. Great for you, but it's just not for us. I didn't feel bad about trashing my factory Keystone mattress, but I'd have a hard time justifying a replacement for an already expensive mattress.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
cabinfever

We did the 3" memory foam fix to our mattress also. I have thought that maybe RV standard mattresses are "cheap" for two reasons. First and most important, just less expensive in a competitive market . Second might be for weight. Building them cheap does leave out X pounds of material, springs, etc so might that be a consideration also? There are other things done on RVs that seem "cheap" but was done for weight savings.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
cozycamper

new mattress

First I forgot to tell you that we are FT campers so it is important that you always have a good mattress to sleep on. To me it's like buying a new pair of shoes. You buy cheap shoes and your feet will let you know it so a good mattress and your back will feel better the next morning.
cozycamper is offline   Reply With Quote