Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquasea

Negotiating with Dealer

Question: Negotiating a price on a new Mountaineer with our local dealer. Before the sales person could give us a price off the MSRP through his manager, he told us he needed our drivers licenses to do so. We gave them to him (I feel like an idiot for doing so), but told them under no circumstances did we want them to run a credit check on us until we agree on something as we are in the process of taking out a loan for our business and did not want that interfering etc. He was gone for awhile, came back with a ridiculous price (not much off) and we left. It has been bugging me what that was about. Anyone? Ugh. Thx!!
Aquasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
GaryWT

Some dealers work so many different angles. They might have checked on something but you might not know. Good luck in your hunt and good luck with your business.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
wva3185

I May Be Wrong

but I think they would have to have your SS# to run a credit check. I have had dealers, when taking an auto for a test drive, request my license but no one else.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
f6bits

I suspect they just wanted to harvest your contact information. Count that as a business lead and the sales person can get some points or whatever for spending time with a potential customer.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I suspect they just wanted to harvest your contact information. Count that as a business lead and the sales person can get some points or whatever for spending time with a potential customer.
^^^^^^^this. They can't run a true credit check without your social. Insurance companies can get an insurance score with your name, DOB, and current address. This is not a credit score!!!! I doubt they can do the same. It was most likely a way to get your contact info.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
Devildogmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wva3185 View Post
but I think they would have to have your SS# to run a credit check. I have had dealers, when taking an auto for a test drive, request my license but no one else.
I think you are correct.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Some states use the SSN as the driver's license number, I'm not sure whether Nevada is one of those states or not. In states that do use the SSN, it would be pretty easy to get most any information about a person based on their "DL number"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some states use the SSN as the driver's license number, I'm not sure whether Nevada is one of those states or not. In states that do use the SSN, it would be pretty easy to get most any information about a person based on their "DL number"
I remember when MS did that, in fact they still did it when I moved from there in '99. I remember my dad not liking it when they changed the system. Now it is changed to a different number and he will not even use PayPal,b/c he thinks someone will high jack his info!!
I think most have have gone away from using SS as DL #'s, but I could be wrong. I have been before!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
CBrownGetsDown

Smile Dealership issue

I am an RV Salesperson, some sales people just cannot build relationships and rapour with customers. No ID needed for pricing. Sounds like a salesperson who doesn't wanna know his customers or remember their names!

Chris & Jackie
2013 Cougar XLite 31SQB TT
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW C&C
6.7 Cummins 6speed Manual 4:10 rears
CBrownGetsDown is offline   Reply With Quote