Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
cvizgo

New to satellite while camping

I've had DirectTV for just over a year now and never considered bringing it camping. I have been able to get my hands on a dish and a tripod. From what I understand all I need from there is to bring my direct tv receiver and I have what I need to get started. My question is... Is there a how to guide or a step by step on setting this up. Where to point what satellite to aim at anything special I should know. I'm a first timer with this and looking for a satellite for dummies guide. Thanks in advance for the help.
2011 Keystone Passport 3050
cvizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Essness

If you do a google search, you'll get a bunch of tips and tricks for setting up a portable dish. There is a screen in the directv set up that will allow you to put in the zip code you are in and it will tell you the coordinance you need to aim the dish.
From there, I just use the on screen signal meter to dial in the signal.

I have a Vue Cube with a remote. It's far easier to set up.

Good luck.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Jim Dow

Thumbs down Satellite TV in Campers

You are probably going to have to make some coax modifications to get it to work successfully. Take a look at other posts on this forum for satellite TV.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
mwhit

If you have a smart phone, several apps are available that can display the satellite positions on your screen. This provides you with the proper direction and you can determine if trees or other obstructions will block the view. I used a manual dish but would sometimes spend way too much time getting it setup. I got a Winegard satellite gm 1518 automatic dome. It will only receive the standard definition signal, but all you do is sit in a location that can see the satellites apply 12V power and the coax wire and in about 2 minutes you are watching TV. I use a 12V vehicle jump start unit that take a cigarette lite type plug and supply power to the dish. After the dish locks on the signal the 12V power can be disconnected. Then it off to roughing it around the fire with the TV.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhit View Post
If you have a smart phone, several apps are available that can display the satellite positions on your screen. This provides you with the proper direction and you can determine if trees or other obstructions will block the view. I used a manual dish but would sometimes spend way too much time getting it setup. I got a Winegard satellite gm 1518 automatic dome. It will only receive the standard definition signal, but all you do is sit in a location that can see the satellites apply 12V power and the coax wire and in about 2 minutes you are watching TV. I use a 12V vehicle jump start unit that take a cigarette lite type plug and supply power to the dish. After the dish locks on the signal the 12V power can be disconnected. Then it off to roughing it around the fire with the TV.
I did the same, mine though is attached to the roof and I have a switch in side. Once I have my RV level and jacks down I turn the TV on, flick the switch inside and usually have signal by the time the slide is out. If not its always going by the time I get the mats out, beer fridge open and other odds and ends.

Although the phone apps and on-line videos are a huge asset when trying to do it yourself. As well with the manual of your receiver their should be a long list of directions and elevations you can go off of if your ok with a compass. As well there are little satellite finders you can purchase that you hook in, my experience with them they were not as good as the phone app as they would pick up any satellite out there. The only thing they were good for was if you had no one to watch the built in satellite finder or could not here it.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
justlkn

I take an HD box with me when I camp too. I have tried several apps that are suppossed to help you find the satellite you are suppossed to use but found they are not perfect. Sometimes I can get it right sometimes not.

What I found works the best is when you get where your going turn on your box and go into the satellite setup and punch in the zip code of where you are. It will give you your azimuth skew and elevation. Then switch to satellite signal meter in your box. Then go outside and adjust your dish. Once adjusted you can use a simple compass to find your azimuth and either you or you can have.someone else watch the signal meter on the TV to get the highest signal. I can usually get mine up to 95% or so.

I used a HDMI cable to get the input to the TV and just switch sources when I want to go back and forth from satellite and antenna.

The only thing you need to add is a SWM box if you have the newer Directv and have HD. Directv gave me everything for free. I installed my SWM box in the utility closet outside.

This is my setup. I can take a pic of the SWM box if you need it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371654891060.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	3429  

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Ron

I have the VuCube 2000 that is a automatic satellite finder but you also have to have a clear view of the southern sky and of course up here in the North West we have a lot of trees in campgrounds therefore I need to know approx. location of satellites so I use (Dishpointer.com) All you have to do is type in the address, then choose what satellite company your with and what satellites you are looking for, click on the map where your camp site is and the green line will point to the direction of the satellite. In the last 2 1/2 years of owning the VuCube, I have never been without my DirecTV...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
suza

No TV

I know I'm going to "pinch some nerves", but I enjoy getting away from the TV. We take along a few DVDs in case we get shut-in due to inclement weather. It's hard to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors when you are glued to the "Tube"
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I know I'm going to "pinch some nerves", but I enjoy getting away from the TV. We take along a few DVDs in case we get shut-in due to inclement weather. It's hard to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors when you are glued to the "Tube"
Where we camp, there's no electricity, so using the TV requires either the generator or the inverter. Either way, it's a "conscious awareness of electricity useage" and we tend to only turn it on to catch the weather and the national news. Lately, with the world like it is, we only watch the weather.... It's easier to sleep that night LOL

Any more, it seems that the only time we get away from that "TV intrusion" is when we're camping or when the power goes off for a while. Either way, it's a welcome change from the noise and commercials.

There's another thread going about TV in the 50's and 60's. One comment was that now, with satellite and cable TV, there's 200 plus channels and still nothing worth watching......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
suza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

There's another thread going about TV in the 50's and 60's. One comment was that now, with satellite and cable TV, there's 200 plus channels and still nothing worth watching......
That was my post

Glad there is someone else who likes to "get away" when camping
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
rode2nowhere

Nothing too watch is right, tv shows these days are crap imo.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
chris199

Some Andy Griffith rerun DVD's are good enough for me when the weather is bad......I laugh out loud at Barney every time....and I've seen the episodes more times than I'd like to admit.

I should have lived thru the 50's.......instead of being born then. Classic TV or now METV works for this guy and his DW.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
CUFFS054

Suza X 2 on getting away from the TV for awhile. Getting a dish set at the camper has been on the todo list from day one. 8 months later it still hasn't been done and we don't miss it. I do however use my XM alot. Especially, the classic radio station at night in the dark. The Shadow Knows!
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
rode2nowhere

I would not know where to start
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFFS054 View Post
Suza X 2 on getting away from the TV for awhile. Getting a dish set at the camper has been on the todo list from day one. 8 months later it still hasn't been done and we don't miss it. I do however use my XM alot. Especially, the classic radio station at night in the dark. The Shadow Knows!
We have Sirius in our PU. Anyone know if it's possible to run the vehicle sound over the RV speakers? Just wondering
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Suza, if you've got SYNC in your Ford and a bluetooth receiver in the trailer, you should be able to bridge that connection and play the sirus through SYNC.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
CUFFS054

Susa, I bought the cheapest receiver/docking station I could find and run it through the "aux" port on the Jenson. What has been the most fun is having someone over who doesn't know about "THE SHADOW, JOHNNY DOLLAR, THE GREEN HORNET or JACK BENNY" and seeing how much they get into it!
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
suza

Hmmmm . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Suza, if you've got SYNC in your Ford and a bluetooth receiver in the trailer, you should be able to bridge that connection and play the sirus through SYNC.
Our Ford does have SYNC, but I don't know if our receiver is bluetooth. Will have to check. Do you know, would this be standard with the Cougar 's Jensen AWM965?

I wonder, could I "SYNC" my laptop and connect it to the stereo via audio input. I think I'll check with the Ford dealer - make him earn his commission

Thanks for the suggestion.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #19
byrdr1

we have the satellite for those times and at night. We like the white noise to go to sleep by. That being said we take our 18" dish and I bought a extra regular receiver non HD. We just camped at a CG without any cable & very few over the air channels. It took me two days to just set the dish up, just too busy and not worried about it the first few days. we have used this set up for 3 years now. I set the pole on the ground with a tripod and nailed it down and made sure its plum. Set the dish on it with out tightening it down & turned it to what I thought was the right direction, angle stays pretty much the same. went inside to get a tone and work my magic. once the receiver went through set up. I had it dialed in to 98% with out any work/adjustment. I just went back outside and tightened the screws and my signal dropped to 97%. pretty good.. Once you get through set up the first few times you will become an expert setting it up. One day I might get automatic dish but this works and its pretty cheap. With the 5er I only had to find the feed that came into the camper to set dish receiver up and I still can access the over air channels when I want to watch PBS. without auto set up dishes its trial and error on setting it up. enjoy
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
Riverbound

I have it installed on my truck I have the ability to just plug the trailer in when we want to watch it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote